Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:35 am

Does anyone have Mandarin concierge email address? Been trying to email for restaurant reservations in December.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

[email protected]
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:39 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Wrapping up a stay at Aman Tokyo today. Overall, it's a great hotel and I'd gladly come back. There are a few tiny things that can only be considered first-world problems:
- Despite asking a few times, I haven't seen the GM, Marc, at all during the stay.
- They charged me for stamps to mail two postcards! I think this was discussed elsewhere in the forums too. I asked if I can have them for free and they said no.
- I did not receive a welcome drink or anything. They said it was an oversight and sent up a basket of fruit in the evening.
- There's no afternoon tea service.
- They do not sell bottles (720ml) of sake for room service or in the restaurants. When asked about it, they said that they don't have a liquor license so they cannot vend whole bottles. This doesn't make much sense because they have bottles of wine, champagne, and even whiskies for sale.
- They say most of the room classes are not available for upgrade through FHR. I'm not sure if this is true or not.
- They don't have Amanjunkie t-shirts.
- I asked for a tempurpedic-type pillow and an hour later they showed up with a box of tampons. FYI, I'm a man.

Haven't had a chance to explore the rest of the hotel but I'll do that today. Lastly (mostly as a note to myself), staying in the suite as a solo traveler on business really is excessive. Walking into the empty dining and living room is rather lonely.

Rather frustrating and hilarious at the same time!

I'm heading to stay and inspect Aman in December and everything you've mentioned above is helping me manage my expectations. Thank you!

I suppose the good news is that most of the list are all very fixable soft issues...hopefully, in time.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Aman Tokyo: Walking into the empty dining and living room is rather lonely.
You get used to that, but it never becomes comfortable. It is WAY worse at Summer Palace. I've spent days at that place and not seen another human other than the bartender. ... and I had to wake him up.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
You get used to that, but it never becomes comfortable. It is WAY worse at Summer Palace. I've spent days at that place and not seen another human other than the bartender. ... and I had to wake him up.
In Tokyo, I guess I mostly dined in-room because I wanted to try use the space. But, it just made me feel like Bruce Wayne in his mansion--sans Alfred.

I had similar issues with Aman SP a couple months ago. What annoyed me there was that they kept asking my name and room number at the restaurants, gym, front desk, shops even though there was only a handful of guests.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:49 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I know this is a luxury thread but when I'm alone in Tokyo, I like to go into a neighborhood Ramen shop and eat with the locals...if it helps, you can bringing your own truffles
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:29 pm

My husband and I and my 30-year-old son and his husband are all going to Tokyo during Thanksgiving week. I've already booked 4 nights at the RC (club level) and one night at the Disneyland Hotel (my son works for Disney)....looking for another FHR hotel for the first two nights we arrive. Recent suggestions? Also, any restaurant suggestions -- no one in the group (except for me) eats fish
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by climbermom
...and one night at the Disneyland Hotel (my son works for Disney)
Just curious, does that fact help you in any way?

AFAIK, the Oriental Land Group licenses Disney trademarks, but is not directly affiliated with the Walt Disney Company.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, I think that the Mira Costa offers a better luxury experience than Disneyland Hotel, especially if you will be visiting Disneysea.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Just curious, does that fact help you in any way?

AFAIK, the Oriental Land Group licenses Disney trademarks, but is not directly affiliated with the Walt Disney Company.
Nope, nothing.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:32 pm

My husband and I and my 30-year-old son and his husband are all going to Tokyo during Thanksgiving week. I've already booked 4 nights at the RC (club level) and one night at the Disneyland Hotel (my son works for Disney)....looking for another FHR hotel for the first two nights we arrive. Recent suggestions? Also, any restaurant suggestions -- no one in the group (except for me) eats fish
The Tappanyaki counter at Ritz-Carlton Tokyo, as well as the Towers Grill restaurant are perfect if you like to eat eat Japanese beef.

You might also try Union Square Tokyo, and other restaurants within the Midtown complex.

It's a pity that everyone else in your party does not eat fish, but there are of course plenty of good restaurants nearby. The concierge will help you find whatever you are looking for.

For another FHR hotel, I recommend Mandarin Oriental. It's close to Tokyo station by taxi if you arrive via N'Ex train, which is convenient.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
For another FHR hotel, I recommend Mandarin Oriental. It's close to Tokyo station by taxi if you arrive via N'Ex train, which is convenient.
Four Seasons and Shangri-La are are much closer options (no taxi needed)
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:06 am

Four Seasons and Shangri-La are are much closer options (no taxi needed)
This is true, but I believe MO to be the better hotel, so well worth a short cab ride.

If unfamiliar with Tokyo, there could be an advantage to FS Marunouchi's meet and greet service at the station. S-L provably offers the same if I am not mistaken.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:39 am

I'll be in Tokyo for four nights in December, and am primarily looking for the best food-connected concierge team. Reading through this thread, seems to waver between FSM and MO, correct?

Another benefit would be a good spa, but I don't know that that is critical. Restaurant readies are of primary concern.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:30 pm

Nope, nothing.
Also, I think that the Mira Costa offers a better luxury experience than Disneyland Hotel, especially if you will be visiting Disneysea.
No availability there, it was our first choice. We were lucky to get the rooms we found, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.