Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

la casa que canta...questions (Zihuatanejo, Mexico)

Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.

yes, i've searched.

was wondering if anyone had any recent info on the casa in zihuatanejo, mexico, and if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to book. we're andrew harper members, and i'm happy to book with them, unless i'd be better off with virtuoso? i've never booked anything through the latter, so i'm clueless about them and all suggestions would be welcome.

my plan is to book a mid range category and hope for an upgrade; do NOT want to book the lowest category rooms in any event. any way to increase our chances of getting an upgrade?

i've done a fair bit of homework about this property both on and off ft, and i think it's just what we're looking for. we'll be going for a week probably later this month, or early sept. mr kk has gotten itchy and wants a vacation...so i get to plan one! ^ i know it'll be hot and might be rainy...but hopefully it won't rain every day, and if it does, we'll just have to make the best of it. somehow.

as an aside, for anyone who's been there, will we need to rent a car if we want to eat off property with some regularity or are there good options on the beach? i'm sure there are in town, which i've read is a $2-4 cab ride...but we might want to walk, weather permitting.

one more thing...i don't have an amex platinum, but could get one if there's a reason to. would that make a difference with this property?

Last edited by karenkay; Aug 3, 2007 at 2:54 pm Reason: add another question
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The Virtuoso property in Zihuatanejo is Villa del Sol (which is also FHR). La Casa Que Canta is neither... so in this case, you're probably best off using your Andrew Harper membership.

Hope you have a great stay! The photo of the infinity pool in their website looks absolutely inviting.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

la casa que canta is definitely very well regarded here. ^

hmm, i thought it was amex FHR but apparently not, just villa del sol..

so looks like only q club. looking at their website again, i might have to join at some point, seems like they have some good properties / guaranteed upgrades i dont recall seeing mentioned before.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 3, 2007 at 6:38 pm
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat
I stayed in LCQC last Nov and it was fabulous. Booked directly with the hotel and they upgraded me to a junior suite in El Murmullo which is an adjacent private residence. I strongly recommend you do that - given you are going in the low rainy season, chances are pretty good. El Murmullo is basically a private villa in exactly the same architectural style as the rest of the hotel but only has 4 rooms and has its own butler and chef and gorgeous swimming pool. We only shared the villa with one other couple when we were there and had the pool to ourselves. The main hotel is just across the street and you can go any time you want but guests from the hotel do not have access to El Murmullo. Bill Gates stayed there a few years back.

You won't need a car - there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance on Playa La Ropa (incl the ones at Villa Del Sol, the other luxury hotel in Zihua) but frankly the food in LCQC is the best in the area and the restaurant is regarded as one of the best in all of Mexico.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm thought i said it earlier - if someone with Q Club could post what the upgrades are like, thatd be great!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hmm thought i said it earlier - if someone with Q Club could post what the upgrades are like, thatd be great!
We were there in January, 2007 for four or five days (I forget which). Andrew Harper Q Club only shows "Q Club rates, welcome bottle of wine and early/late checkin/out on availability." Maybe I am missing something else.

A few comments: We have no problems with mobility but if you stay in the main lodge area there are a LOT of steps to get to your room and then to get to the lower-level salt water pool, the restaurant, the lobby, etc. We never ate off the property (which is extremely unusual for us) and thought the food was very good, but not great. That said, there is nothing better around, so we stayed on-property. We toured the El Murmillo four BR separate residence. We decided that the enjoyment of that one would depend a lot on who was sharing the other three units with you. YMMV.

We don't usually vacation in Mexico but this was a very relaxing stay. We had a large pool suite and I would not take anything less. We did see some of the other rooms on request because we figure we'll be back. This is a very good resort. VERY good.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
Villa del Sol now Tides Zihuatanejo

I know you asked about La Casa que Canta, but just a note since someone mentioned the other luxe hotel there. Kor Hotels has taken over Villa del Sol and it's now Tides Zihuatanejo.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

As the least thread that I could find on this hotel is nearly seven years old, I was wondering if there were any new insights/updates on the property.

We're booked into the Owner's Suite in a few weeks for our honeymoon, and have scheduled some dinners and spa treatments on site.

Any tips on restaurants/activities in the surrounding area? Are the restaurants at the Viceroy or Capella Ixtapa worth visiting?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by LM225
As the least thread that I could find on this hotel is nearly seven years old, I was wondering if there were any new insights/updates on the property.

We're booked into the Owner's Suite in a few weeks for our honeymoon, and have scheduled some dinners and spa treatments on site.

Any tips on restaurants/activities in the surrounding area? Are the restaurants at the Viceroy or Capella Ixtapa worth visiting?

Thanks!
Have been to Casa Que Canta many times over the years. It is a wonderful getaway for relaxation. The owners suite, suite 2, and the pool suites in the luna building are the best in the main hotel by far. You have a wonderful view from the owners suite. You will also have lots of privacy and they will serve you any meals, drinks, etc in your suite or best on your terrace. The room service is one of the highlights of the hotel. They do a great job. You can also make special requests for things not on the menu and they will go out if their way to accomodate you with some notice. You do have to walk up stairs to get there - no elevator - so if this is an issue it should be considered, however there are lots of stairs in the property in general. Rooms are not luxurious, but very nice with lots of mexican character. I love the place. If you need modern bathrooms I suggest you look at the suites in the two houses they own which can be sold individually if nobody is renting the entire villa. We actually prefer however the main property.

Service is very warm and friendly. They go out of their way to do a great job. However it is Mexico so sometimes small mistakes are made, but they try very hard to do a great job. It is a very casual and relaxed atmosphere and the food at La Casa is I think the best in Zihua. There are a number of good restaurants around town - some come and go each year, and chef changes happen so best to ask La Casa what they recommend. Amuleto has been very good off and on and has a lovely view at night, but ask as the chef changes.

Capella is quite a distance - about a 20 min taxi ride. The hotel is lovely - much more modern and up to date rooms, good restaurants, but personally I prefer to eat in Zihua which has much more character and I don't think the restaurant at Capella is so great to warrant the drive, when there are many choices in Zihua which is 2 min by taxi from the hotel, but it is a personal preference and it could be fun to go to Capella one night. Do not bother with Ixtapa. It is all big high rises and very average to below average restaurants. There are however some gorgeous large private villas between the town of Ixtapa and Capella. Rent a private boat one day to cruise the coastline going north from Zihua to see them from the water. La Casa will pack a nice picnic lunch and it can be a nice day.

We also preferred La Casa because of its warm, more authentic Mexican hospitality. Many if the employees have been there since it opened and there are many, many return guests.

The Viceroy is on La Ropa beach and you can walk from La Casa. La Casa is not right on the beach but very close. I think it is fun to have lunch at the viceroy because it is right on the beach and makes for a nice walk in mid day.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. If you love Mexico and warm, friendly hospitality you will enjoy La Casa. A tip is they will bring you all of your meals, drinks, etc to your room whenever you want. But if you are expecting the ultimate in luxury, you might be disappointed. We go to Zihua to relax, listen to the ocean, walk on the beach, enjoy the food, and read lots if books. For this it is perfect!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:46 pm

Incredibly helpful info, Larkin, thank you! Hadn't heard anything about ordering off the menu, will certainly try it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:17 pm

I echo Larkin's sentiments about LCQC. I visited this past December and it's a true favorite. I've stayed at the resort yearly for the last few years and have never been disappointed.

Did I miss a mention of the fact that they don't allow children under the age of 16? A plus for me, particularly in an intimate setting such as this.

The private residences are truly wonderful although it's now my understanding that the hotel will only book those rooms to individuals under extenuating circumstances. I've come to prefer a suite such as #2 to the pool suites in the Luna building for space in the suite itself.

As to Capella Ixtapa, I have a difference of opinion there. I stayed at that resort when it first opened and very much enjoyed it. Although it's still relatively new, I feel the maintenance has not been stellar.
My last visit I was kept awake nights by the squeaking sound of the funicular. Despite changing rooms, this persisted. There were other issues and I wouldn't personally return until I am certain that maintenance is up to snuff.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Larkin
Let me know if you have any other specific questions. If you love Mexico and warm, friendly hospitality you will enjoy La Casa. A tip is they will bring you all of your meals, drinks, etc to your room whenever you want. But if you are expecting the ultimate in luxury, you might be disappointed. We go to Zihua to relax, listen to the ocean, walk on the beach, enjoy the food, and read lots if books. For this it is perfect![
Did you get that part LM225.. make sure you unplug and have a great honeymoon.... No need for a trip report... enjoy yourself....

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Apr 15, 2014 at 5:08 am
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Many thanks to Larkin and others for the most recent updates. ^

O2K
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by welch
I echo Larkin's sentiments about LCQC. I visited this past December and it's a true favorite. I've stayed at the resort yearly for the last few years and have never been disappointed.

Did I miss a mention of the fact that they don't allow children under the age of 16? A plus for me, particularly in an intimate setting such as this.

The private residences are truly wonderful although it's now my understanding that the hotel will only book those rooms to individuals under extenuating circumstances. I've come to prefer a suite such as #2 to the pool suites in the Luna building for space in the suite itself.

As to Capella Ixtapa, I have a difference of opinion there. I stayed at that resort when it first opened and very much enjoyed it. Although it's still relatively new, I feel the maintenance has not been stellar.
My last visit I was kept awake nights by the squeaking sound of the funicular. Despite changing rooms, this persisted. There were other issues and I wouldn't personally return until I am certain that maintenance is up to snuff.
Agree, the adults-only element was definitely part of the appeal here.

Thanks for the insight!

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Did you get that part LM225.. make sure you unplug and have a great honeymoon.... No need for a trip report... enjoy yourself....

FDW
Fortunately, that part is being taken care of (forced?) for me.

No computer allowed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.