Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Upscale accomodations in Chicagoland area...Just not Chicago!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2007, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold

Looking to find a place to get away with the wife for a quick weekend. We live in the Chicago area and have lived in Chicago and done it to death...while Chicago is an awesome city, we are looking for something different this weekend...anything within about a 3 hour drive is acceptable. Ideally something nice on the west shore of Lake Michigan, but can't seem to come up with any ideas...anyone help me out?
Old May 9, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Have you considered the American Club Hotel, in Kohler, WI? Highly impressive facilities and spa.
Old May 9, 2007, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Sorry, should have listed the places we considered and eliminated...American Club (been there a lot), Sundara Spa, or any place in Lake Geneva, WI.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:30 am

Heartland Spa

Heartlandspa.com

Heartland is definitely one of the best spa's in the Midwest. It is just 90 miles south of Chicago.
Old May 10, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Not sure how long it would take you to get there, but I've been reading a lot about Canoe Bay Resort in NW Wisconsin - sounds fabulous!
It's the only Relais et Chateau property in the Midwest - however, just read the article & it says 6 hours from Chicago - looks worth it, though!

http://www.roadandtravel.com/travel%...n/canoebay.htm
Old May 12, 2007, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Not quite luxury, but still very nice is the Oak Park Inn. Great neighborhood for walking around, seeing sights and trying restaurants. It's been several years since I was last there though.
Old May 17, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
I would second Canoe Bay - we have been there and it is wonderful! Peaceful, good dining, nice accommodations etc. It is a bit of a drive from Chicago, but it only took us 5 hours to get to Winnetka.
Old May 17, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
I would second Canoe Bay - we have been there and loved it. It is quiet, peaceful, pretty, and has great accommodations. It took us 5 hours to get from there to Winnetka - but it was worth it.

(sorry about the double post - my computer screwed up again)

Last edited by Bruiser; May 17, 2007 at 12:08 pm Reason: double post
Old May 17, 2007, 6:32 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
I know people have bagged on the RC Dearborn, but I just came from there and had a great time. Service was awesome and their steakhouse is tasty...expensive, but tasty (helps if you FHR it as you get a free lunch for two up to $100 [though they told me they were going to change the amount soon]). The area is really coming up and the strip on Michigan Avenue (I'm pretty sure that was it) with the bars and restaurants was a blast. Worst case, head over to Ann Arbor. Plenty of fun stuff to do there this time of the year. Or, you could go in July during Art Fair. Go Blue!
Old May 18, 2007, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have read and seen a lot about Canoe Bay...just not sure it is our cup of tea...is there a spa and or golf? Are the accomodations/service up to par with a Four Seasons?
Also, are the restaurants good...not really in to "comfort food" which is what I would imagine is at that type of place...
Old May 18, 2007, 10:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I have read and seen a lot about Canoe Bay...just not sure it is our cup of tea...is there a spa and or golf? Are the accomodations/service up to par with a Four Seasons?
Also, are the restaurants good...not really in to "comfort food" which is what I would imagine is at that type of place...
How do you define "comfort food?"

Canoe Bay is a Relais et Châteaux property and one of the requisite features of a Relais et Châteaux establishment is fine cuisine.

Golf:

http://www.relaischateaux.com/fr/sea.../canoebay/golf

Limited spa:

http://www.canoebay.com/services/mas...pointments.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.