Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

cairo four seasons which one?

Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Any one spent time at both hotels, which is best and why?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

search = http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6567032

i linked everything there, and then people added more
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:40 am

Nile Plaza is better.

Check out Conde Nast Traveler :Gold List 2007
Nile Plaza gets a 100 in both rooms & service. The final rating is 95.8 out of 100

First Residence final rating gets 90.6.

I enjoyed my stay at Nile Plaza. Never been to First Residence. Nile Plaza is also newer, and I loved all the restuarants within the hotel.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there isn't a whole lot on First Residence on FT

one comment from link
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Both properties are of an excellent standard. It's all down to a question of convenience and what brings you to Cairo.

The one at the First Residence is something of a draw for the city's movers and shakers - so if you want to see Cairo's better-heeled socialites in action (and have business in the nearby area), you'll want to opt for this one.

If you're in Cairo for sightseeing, the Nile Plaza is a better bet. The Egyptian Museum is just up the road, the Coptic Borough is a short (depending on Cairo traffic) cab ride away and the Giza Pyramids a little further.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:10 am

I stayed at the FS First Residence instead of the FS Nile Plaza because I preferred the style and design of the First Residence over Nile Plaza. If you want a more classical European hotel mixed with tasteful Egyptian colonial details, then First Residence is the best. If you want a more modern contemporary feel, then Nile Plaza is preferable. The FS First Residence also has a much more intimate upscale private club feeling than Nile Plaza. The rooms are also larger at First Residence. I had a room overlooking the Pyramids and the Zoological gardens. The rooftop pool at the First Residence is wonderful. I spoke to a person at FS when I was there recently and asked what the major difference between the two hotel is and its: First Residence is more orientated towards leisure and upscale business travelers in a more intimate setting while Nile Plaza is much more orientated towards large conferences, big tour groups, corporate functions, etc. The reason why Nile Plaza is getting higher rankings these days is that most people's predetermined itineraries for the Cairo visit will put them at Nile Plaza because they have more rooms to block for tourist groups and cater more towards the big tour groups ie large number of restaurants, etc. Thats merely this voting inflation, and its unlikely that service there is really 100 out of 100 from what I have read. I was happy with the First Residence because it felt much more intimate and personable than the large tourist group orientated Nile Plaza.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:49 am

"First Residence is more orientated towards leisure and upscale business travelers in a more intimate setting while Nile Plaza is much more orientated towards large conferences, big tour groups, corporate functions, etc. The reason why Nile Plaza is getting higher rankings these days is that most people's predetermined itineraries for the Cairo visit will put them at Nile Plaza because they have more rooms to block for tourist groups and cater more towards the big tour groups ie large number of restaurants, etc. Thats merely this voting inflation, and its unlikely that service there is really 100 out of 100 from what I have read. I was happy with the First Residence because it felt much more intimate and personable than the large tourist group orientated Nile Plaza.[/QUOTE]

I will definitely agree that Nile Plaza is a big hotel. But it never felt bustling or crowded with mobs of people to me. I agree thay it could hold large groups aswell.
As a side, since its a bigger property it has 2 outdoor pools with great cabannas, and a very nice indoor pool/spa aswell. It also has 5 or so restaurants that are quite good, from casual to fine dining. The hotel also has attached some high-end shops.
Again, I have never stayed at 1st residence.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I've just checked out of Four Seasons Nile Plaza. I think I can safely say that it was the best 'shoebox-style room' hotel that I have ever stayed in. Certainly not cheap (a room is the same price as a suite at the Hyatt opposite) but worth it.

The Nile View rooms, for a start, are pretty big. I guess, if you include the decent sized balcony, you are getting close to 50 square metres. Whilst traditional in layout (desk, armoire with TV etc) the bathrooms are far better than you would expect in a standard room - two sinks, full marble including surfaces, a door on the loo, a bidet and, the piece de resistance, a separate stand-alone shower.

(Compare this with the suite I currently occupy at the InterContinental CityStars which has only 1 sink and the shower is over the bath. The suite also feels a lot smaller because it is 72 sq m split into 2 rooms rather than 1 room of 45+ sq m)

Everything worked well here. The location is walkable to the Egyptian Museum, although you'll need taxis for most other things (but this is a problem wherever you stay). The 'meet and greet' at the airport ($110) went fine and, at 1.30am, they were happy to take clothes off me for pressing which were returned at 9am.

Breakfast was fantastic - both days there were very few people, less than 20 (where does everyone eat breakfast - this hotel is 30 stories high!!) and the food quality and service was outstanding. I cannot comment on evening meals because I didn't take one, although the snacks I had by the pool and in the lobby were fine.

The pool complex is great, although it loses the sun around 2pm. There were some very hot women around the pool as well - plus one in a full head to toe burka with only a slit in the veil!! Three outdoor pools (childrens, lap and main), one large indoor pool plus two hot tubs (1 inside, 1 outside). Cabanas available if you are a family group. Pool service was excellent with little amuse bouche being brought round from time to time.

There was nothing to fault here, in terms of service or quality. The only thing that grated was the cost of certain services. Internet access in the business centre is $20 per hour. Taking hotel cars is prohibitavely expensive - FS wanted $50 to drive me to the InterCon, whilst the InterCon drove me to the Pyramids in a sedan car (back into the centre of Cairo, past the FS and then another 15km out of town the other way) for the equivalent of $20. That said, food and laundry costs were very reasonable.

I have only one real issue. I sent a shirt for laundry which had collar stiffeners, which I removed. When the shirt came back, the hotel had put in its own collar stiffeners. However, these stiffeners had been glued or somehow fused into the shirt and cannot be removed. You can tell they are glued in when you try to ease them out. I'm not sure why they did this. It shouldn't be an issue - many casual shirts have stitched in stiffeners, after all - but its a bit odd. If it wasn't for the fact that the existing stiffeners were cheap plastic rubbish anyway I would have caused a fuss, but whats done was done.

If the cost isn't an issue, you won't go wrong here as a tourist. If this hotel was in London it would be one of the top handful in town (in fact, it is far better than the outdated FS London on many levels). Once you've spent 24 hours in Cairo, you'll realise that to find it here is a minor miracle.

Last edited by Raffles; Jun 9, 2007 at 2:48 am
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great report ^

it would be interesting to see how internet and car fees compared at the First Residence. hmm, considering difference even in room rates, probably considerably less. (apparently First Residence has lower room rates, not what i would have thought)

website shows 46m2 for Nile Plaza and 42-58m2 for First Residence. they must not include balcony in that size.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 8, 2007 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 8, 2007, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up heads or tails it's down to taste

Stayed in both FS hotels, it comes down to taste not price both are wonderfull, and your right miracles in that part of the world, restaurants are great in both, also stayed at the hyatt where i was given a great diplomatic suite, but the FS were both whole class better.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K (sob...former GS), Marriott Platinum
email?

Does anyone have an email to contact the Nile Plaza? I'm staying there around Labor Day and wanted to make a small request as my wife's birthday is one of the days we are staying.

I can always do it when we arrive, of course, but figured I'd try here first. The Four Seasons web site doesn't seem to show the hotel email anymore - the "contact us" links are all to their HQ.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:59 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DasKitty
Does anyone have an email to contact the Nile Plaza? I'm staying there around Labor Day and wanted to make a small request as my wife's birthday is one of the days we are staying.

I can always do it when we arrive, of course, but figured I'd try here first. The Four Seasons web site doesn't seem to show the hotel email anymore - the "contact us" links are all to their HQ.

Thanks in advance!
I have always contacted corportate via the email address on the FS website, stated my request and asked that someone from the hotel contact me directly. I always get a reply (from the hotel) within a day or two.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:07 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I have now stayed at the First Residence four times. I have not stayed at Nile Plaze, but have had a room viewing, and used both leisure facilities.

The suites are FAR superior at the First Residence. Corner Suites have views of the Pyramids, the Nile and overlook the zoo. You can literally see Rhinos, Hippos, Tigers etc.

The Nile Plaza has indoor and outdoor pools, but the First Residence has a nicer spa area and a good gym. It also feels like less than a hotel because the second building are offices and residences.

I prefer the First Residence, although my favourite store in Cairo (and in any major city) Beymen, is located at Nile Plaza. It stocks all luxury brands and when we went last week had 50-85% off last season's stock.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I prefer Nile plaza. Rooms more up to date ( unless they have done refurb at first residence), better for restaurant choices IMO, and get a high room with a balcony for much better views. I like the location better as well.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
I prefer Nile plaza. Rooms more up to date ( unless they have done refurb at first residence), better for restaurant choices IMO, and get a high room with a balcony for much better views. I like the location better as well.
I agree. Nile Plaza is better in all sorts of ways. The thing that really bugs me at First Residence is the awful water, which is so full of chlorine it makes me gag in the shower.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:21 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Larkin
FYI - The Corner Suites at the First Residence have several wrap around balconies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.