Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What are the worst RC and FS properties?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the worst RC and FS properties?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
RC Puerto Rico was a big disappointment. Not worth the money.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:10 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
FS San Francisco

I have also been surprised by some of the negative comments on this property.

I am there regularly for one-night stays and I have found the rooms and service to be excellent. I am normally upgraded - no doubt due to my one-night stay.

My only disappointment has been with the OUTRAGEOUS telephone charges (at least for international calls). Much to my surprise, I complained on check-out and they reduced it by half. I was told they had the discretion to do so. I was grateful but the the original rip-off just seemed doubly bad.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braniff

I am there regularly for one-night stays and I have found the rooms and service to be excellent. I am normally upgraded - no doubt due to my one-night stay.

My only disappointment has been with the OUTRAGEOUS telephone charges (at least for international calls). Much to my surprise, I complained on check-out and they reduced it by half. I was told they had the discretion to do so. I was grateful but the the original rip-off just seemed doubly bad.
I have to agree with you on ridiculous telephone charges- this can really ruin an otherwise great stay. We should start a list of hotels to AVOID due to ridiculous overcharging of guests- that would be fun.
For me- the FS in SFO is a good hotel- the RC is also a good hotel so I generally decide based on rate between the two. Out of interest, for an upcoming trip in November I was going to stay at the new St.Regis- but the rate is actually higher than FS- and I have never been at a St.Regis that comes close to FS service.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:34 am

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
What about RC St. Louis? Anyone been there? I agree the Montreal RC is bad. I even spoke to the GM there and he was very kind, but said the owner, likes the hotel the way it is......
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:42 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked into the RC Pentagon City last night, where I am writing this note from. Trust me, the problem here is NOT just the age of the hotel and the size of the rooms -- all of which remain concerns -- but the service as well.

When I checked in as a single, they told me that they "didn't allocate a room until check-in" and I had a choice of one of the tiny rooms made even tinier with two double beds or a king size room which was smoking (and I am not a smoker). Their choice was to give me the double room since that way they could, in the words of the desk manager, "honor at least one of my two prferences."

I refused to accept that and eventually they found me a weird parlor suite with a murphy bed -- one of those rooms normally used for entertaining or small trade shows -- but it is marginally better than what I could have gotten, I guess.

I know that many hotels don't allocate rooms in advance of check-in, but I expect better at a so-called luxury chain. The attitude of the front desk staff overall was disappointing. One of the clerks actually told me that the hotel was rated the best in the RC chain!
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Just checked into the RC Pentagon City last night, where I am writing this note from. Trust me, the problem here is NOT just the age of the hotel and the size of the rooms -- all of which remain concerns -- but the service as well.

When I checked in as a single, they told me that they "didn't allocate a room until check-in" and I had a choice of one of the tiny rooms made even tinier with two double beds or a king size room which was smoking (and I am not a smoker). Their choice was to give me the double room since that way they could, in the words of the desk manager, "honor at least one of my two prferences."

I refused to accept that and eventually they found me a weird parlor suite with a murphy bed -- one of those rooms normally used for entertaining or small trade shows -- but it is marginally better than what I could have gotten, I guess.

I know that many hotels don't allocate rooms in advance of check-in, but I expect better at a so-called luxury chain. The attitude of the front desk staff overall was disappointing. One of the clerks actually told me that the hotel was rated the best in the RC chain!
Richard,

RC Pentagon is my lowest ranked RC so I sympathize...but if they didn't guaranteee non-smoking king (which I assume they did not) and were full, then what were they supposed to do?
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have never been at a St.Regis that comes close to FS service.
I stayed several years ago in the St. Regis Peking (then called International Club Hotel). It was fantastic. You could not ask for anything more.

I returned there recently - was given the same room: the same awkward stain in the carpet was still there - this is 3 years later... (and I remembered it since it was not an insignificant stain!)

St. Regis Peking has I believe the best staff of any Beijing hotel (with perhaps the exception of the original Shangri-La hotel), but their physical plant is to be ashamed off these days...
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Out of interest, for an upcoming trip in November I was going to stay at the new St.Regis- but the rate is actually higher than FS- and I have never been at a St.Regis that comes close to FS service.
Have you been to the FS and SR Houston yet? The St. Regis not only has a nicer facility, but also better service.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Have you been to the FS and SR Houston yet? The St. Regis not only has a nicer facility, but also better service.
Thanks DrivingRain for the tip- if there is a SR with better service I will definitely be there! Unfortunately, Houston is not a frequent destination for me but.... who knows?
In my comment I was specifically thinking about
NYC
LONDON
SHANGHAI
Now..with Shanghai some people are really fond of the St Regis- but for me the 4S service is a level above- perhaps that is personal opinion. Note my discussion was centred around service- although physical plant would also be worth considering it was not part of my original comment.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:53 pm

Richard,

RC Pentagon is my lowest ranked RC so I sympathize...but if they didn't guaranteee non-smoking king (which I assume they did not) and were full, then what were they supposed to do?
They apparently had them, they were handing them out to others (without guarantees there too). Or, maybe go over the room preferences EARLIER and work it all out instead of making it a function of checkin time? It is supposed to be a luxury hotel chain, after all.

I am used to arriving at a very good hotel and finding rooms are preassigned. At most RCs and FSs there is a card (and usually a small amenity) in the room with your name on it, that's how I know.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:13 am

They apparently had them, they were handing them out to others (without guarantees there too). Or, maybe go over the room preferences EARLIER and work it all out instead of making it a function of checkin time? It is supposed to be a luxury hotel chain, after all.

I am used to arriving at a very good hotel and finding rooms are preassigned. At most RCs and FSs there is a card (and usually a small amenity) in the room with your name on it, that's how I know.
Sorry to drag this out, but it's not adding up in my mind...

So they have more requests for King, non-smoking than the actual number of King, non-smoking rooms (a function of overbooking of preferences, not of rooms...which is typical for luxury hotels).

Are you saying that hotels should pre-assign the rooms early in the day and give someone (possibly you) what you did not request even if someone else turns out to be a no-show? Or would it make more sense to give the customers what they requested first come-first serve as that would maximize the number of people who get what they request? Clearly the latter makes more sense when the hotel is near capacity or a category of rooms is near capacity....which is what looks like happened to you.

This is not a service problem. When you make the booking the bed and smoking preference are either guaranteed or not. If not guaranteed, I always call to see if I can get it guaranteed. Whether it's the Ritz NYCP (a great hotel) or the RC PC (not so great) or an dFS or MO or whatever...every time I get the same answer that if it is not guaranteed it is because of a capacity issue and that they would do the best they could depending on availability, but could not promise anything in the category I want to book in.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:08 pm

Maybe I stay at too many great Asian hotels, but yes, I expect a luxury hotel to -- if anything -- be MORE careful than usual to properly pre-assign rooms if they expect to be full. Again, the "luck of the draw when you show up, and the last person in gets the shaft" approach is not the management style I associate with a true luxury hotel. As always, YMMV and in this case, it clearly does!
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:01 am

Maybe I stay at too many great Asian hotels, but yes, I expect a luxury hotel to -- if anything -- be MORE careful than usual to properly pre-assign rooms if they expect to be full. Again, the "luck of the draw when you show up, and the last person in gets the shaft" approach is not the management style I associate with a true luxury hotel. As always, YMMV and in this case, it clearly does!
Hi again Richard!

I don't understand how Asian hotels are immune to this. Being "more careful" makes no difference. If when you book it is not guaranteed then you know you have a good chance of being in a 2 queen or smoking or both!

Hotels can't just magically add extra non-smoking king rooms when they want to (with the possible exception of pushing two beds together....a common practice in Europe but I'm certainly not a big fan of that practice, and there is no solution for non-smoking).
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP

Hotels can't just magically add extra non-smoking king rooms when they want to (with the possible exception of pushing two beds together....a common practice in Europe but I'm certainly not a big fan of that practice, and there is no solution for non-smoking).
During my last stay at the FS Singapore they upgraded me to a very nice suite and at check-in time made a point to tell me that although this was normally a smoking room housekeeping thoroughly cleaned and deodorized it prior to my arrival (in order to honor my request for non-smoking while at the same time offering a nice bonus).

If they hadn't said anything I wouldn't have noticed.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:32 pm
In memoriam

FS San Francisco

Originally Posted by Braniff

I am there regularly for one-night stays and I have found the rooms and service to be excellent. I am normally upgraded - no doubt due to my one-night stay...
I agree. Just returned from a 5 night stay there. Everything (room/service) was very nice - even though the hotel was 100% booked (big convention in town).

I especially liked the friendly experienced service at the bar (they have the kind of old fashioned - although not old - bartenders who can chat and make 20 drinks at the same time) . Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.