Amangani Trip Report - Jackson Hole, WY

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:02 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Amangani Trip Report - Jackson Hole, WY

Hey everyone,

My husband and I just returned from a quick weekend getaway to Amangani.

I suppose I should start by saying that two nights is not nearly long enough, but we knew that ahead of time. We had decided before our weekend to spend most of our time at the resort so if anyone is expecting to read about our adventures in Jellystone and the Tetons, you'll have to read the trip report we write after our next stay! We spent most of our time in the spa (it was a little rainy during our stay) but we had a truly amazing two hour horseback ride around the Butte that Amangani rests on. We also got into town for dinner one night at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. Very fun.

Enough about the activities, I know you all want to hear about Amangani. Let's get the opportunities for improvement out of the way first.

(1) When we arrived at the airport, our Aman driver was not waiting for us, so we had to call the hotel to be picked up. Our flight times had changed by 20 minutes and we later learned that the flight number also changed which is what threw the Aman staff off. They had apparently called the airport but our airline did not have a record of our flight. Still, a part of me wonders if they could have asked the airline what flights they had coming in that afternoon and had a driver waiting there just in case. It's a very small airport. Of course, the staff and managers were very apologetic.

(2) Many of the staff members asked us our name (whether it was our first or second meeting) and one of them even asked us our room number! The hotel wasn't nearly full, it's just another reminder that we're not in Asia anymore.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, on with the good!

(1) The view was absolutely amazing. The Tetons do for Amangani what Lombok does for Amankila. The scenery changes by the hour (based on sun, clouds, fog, etc.) and we had a hard time putting the camera away. It was so quiet that we could hear the bleating of the calves in the valley below.

(2) The check in and check out processes were identical to the other Amans. We were greeted (and later seen off) by the GM and a handful of staff members, with in-room check in and a welcome bottle of Veuve Clicquot. There were no bills presented during our stay until check out and the final invoice was flawless. Incidentally, the front office staff were the most true to the Aman-experience - they knew our names and discussed previous Aman stays, our day's activities, etc. Three of the four front office staff had worked at other Amans worldwide.

(3) Every staff member was extrememly friendly and helpful. And the very casual manner with which they spoke to us was refreshing. They were constantly going out of their way to make sure we were entertained. One of the drivers would frequently stop along the side of the road in the hopes of showing us elk and moose that wander through the area. We were able to see two mule deer thanks to this guy. And my husband is convinced he saw a moose from our balcony based on the information he received from this staff member. Me? All I saw was a black dot.

(4) The restaurant was excellent. Don't miss the Creme Brulee in a spun-sugar eagle's nest!

(5) Indigenous materials abound with redwood and slate everywhere. We were especially impressed with the all-slate steam rooms and showers.

(6) All transportation was provided in large Lexus SUVs. One of the staff members obviously had fun securing license plates like "Puri" and "Kila".

(7) The pool and jacuzzi are kept at toasty temperatures so that they can be enjoyed year-round. The view is stunning from the pool area.

In closing, with the exception of the two items above, our experience was one of the best to be had in this hemisphere. My husand and I agree that we will go back to Amangani when we need an "Aman fix" and can't get away for more than a week.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:00 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Thank you! Nice report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.