Wiki Posts
Search

Monaco vs. Sofitel in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt PLT
Monaco vs. Sofitel in Chicago

I am going to Chicago at the end of june and I'm debating between the Monaco and Sofitel Water Tower for lodging. I have stayed at the Montreal Sofitel a few times and it is VERY nice. The bed's are the most comfortable of any I've slept on. I've heard the Chicago Sofitel is similar. The Monaco promises to be an interesting place to stay with the hula-hoop for an upgrade, wax lips in the minibar, and afternoon wine downstairs. Has anyone stayed at either of these places? If so could you offer your input on them or a comparison between the two? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 1, 2005, 9:09 pm

can't compare... but

i've heard good things about hotel monaco... its very boutiqueish, not your run of the mill large hotel with big fluffy beds... i'd say go for it if the price is right..
Old May 2, 2005, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt PLT
I've heard that Hotel Monaco would be a unique experience. The price is just about the same as Sofitel, so I think I'll go for it. Thanks.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've enjoyed the Hotel Monaco (Chicago); my only complaint was that a late night (small) group check-in can take too long on occassion.
Old May 2, 2005, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Here is another thumbs up for the Monaco, a boutique hotel run by Kimpton. They have decent size rooms, very comfortable beds, and the staff is very helpful and friendly.

Location may also be a factor to consider. The Monaco is much closer to the Loop if that is where you need to be, whereas the Sofitel is several blocks farther north.
Old May 2, 2005, 1:04 pm

I'd definitly take location into consideration on this one.

If you are in Chicago for shopping and "sightseeing" I think you might be better served by Sofitel, as you'd be just off the Mag Mile, and close enough to walk to Lincoln Park (but I like to walk, others may say it's a cab ride).

If you are in town more for business, or museums, etc, Monaco could be better.

I'm not a huge fan of the area around the Monaco at night and on weekens. Although you are JUST off the main track, it's a bit deserted and there can be a lot of homeless and hagglers at night. And before I get flamed for saying that I'm being paranoid, I live in a condo like 4 blocks from that location, so i think I can speak to it.

-A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.