Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Sri Lanka Photos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Aman Sri Lanka Photos

Hi

Just got back from a week long vacation at Amans in Sri Lanka spending 6 nights at Amanwella and 1 night at Amangalla.

Have uploaded 24 photos at the address http://photos.yahoo.com/akashjain_del.

The photos are of 1.6 mb each. Havent had time to resize them as yet. Will do that in coming days and upload lots more photos.

Bye
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:19 am

Great pictures. I look forward to seeing more, especially of Amangalla. Thanks for posting them.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by senor hamachi
Great pictures. I look forward to seeing more, especially of Amangalla. Thanks for posting them.
My pleasure.

I plan to upload 20-25 each day and have something like 200 photos including at least 50 from Amangalla.

Bye
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:04 am
Original Poster

New Amangalla photos uploaded

21 new photos of Amangalla have been uploaded
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:13 am
Original Poster

New Amangalla photos uploaded

21 new photos of Amangalla have been uploaded
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:50 pm

Thanks for the additional photos. I'm actually a little disappointed with the look of Amangalla. It looks nice, but not as impressive as some of the other Amans. We will be spending four nights at each of Amangalla and Amanwella in August and I'm hoping we won't be disappointed when we arrive. Were you pleased with your stays overall?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:06 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I'm actually liking the "restoration hardware" look of Amangalla, but the pool design seems very different than the rooms and hotel exterior.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by senor hamachi
Thanks for the additional photos. I'm actually a little disappointed with the look of Amangalla. It looks nice, but not as impressive as some of the other Amans. We will be spending four nights at each of Amangalla and Amanwella in August and I'm hoping we won't be disappointed when we arrive. Were you pleased with your stays overall?
Amangalla has a lot less scope to impress that Amanwella in the sense that Amanwella has a beach and a huge infininty pool overlooking the beach whereas Amangalla is more of restoration and renovation project.

IMO, you should be spending 6 nights at Amanwella and 2 nights at Amangalla.

Also, Amanwella has some structured excursions that you can take - 3 to temples and 2 to wildlife sanctuaries. They take between 2-6 hours and cost between 50-200 USD. At Amangalla, they discourage these off the rack excursions and promote custom made activities.

As to spa facilities, Amangalla has a larger menu and dedicated facilities.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:55 am

Programs: cathay pacific
Hello,

Thanks for the pics and advice, I am planning to go to Amanwella in september. I found this forum just as I was about to ask the local branch of Alcoholic Anonymous to set up a section for hotel junkies I am happy to see that I am not alone and look forward to reading the posts and contributing.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mini Report Amanwella

I just did a one night stay at Amanwella (not nearly enough, but I was sick when I got to Sri Lanka and had to cut short my itinerary).

The (very positive) positives:
The design and layout of the resort are superb (with the exception of the weird landing pad at the entrance). The beach is stupendous, and the water lovely if you can handle some serious undertow. The managers, John and Tricia, are wonderful in a very laid-back way -- perfect for the atmosphere, in which a generally very peaceful and serene experience prevails. The suites are minimalist and very beautiful, and contribute to the overall sense of serenity and well-being. Perfect for my taste. Food is high quality. Staff is very friendly. Ericka, while the pool may not be consistent with other Amans or to your taste, I found it quite excellent and enjoyed it immensely.

The negatives:
While friendly, staff is very green -- understandable given that this resort has only been open for a month. They have not yet completed their wine cellar/storage -- I have dined out on average 200 times per year for the past 10 years and never once sent back a bottle; at Amanwella I sent back a bottle of 95 Bordeaux and a bottle of Borolo because they had spoiled from heat. Also the waiter broke the cork of the Bordeaux due to inexperience/ineptitude with the corkscrew. Apologies were gracious and the FB manager personally attended to me throughout the stay after that incident. There is some miscommunication due to poor English language skills of the staff.

Overall I would rate Amanwella very highly because of the effort made by everyone there and the outstanding location, physical beauty, and architectural/design excellence. It is really a fine value at the 50% off rates. Also, I would encourage everyone on this board who is considering a tropical vacation to please go to Sri Lanka. It is a remarkable country with gracious and genuine people with heaps to offer both culturally and from a physical beauty standpoint. There is absolutely no effect on tourism from the tsunami except in very isolated pockets, and the people are hurting from the current dearth of tourism.

If anyone has questions or would like advice on Sri Lanka, please PM me and I will do my best to help you. I spent nearly two weeks there (unfortunately 4 days of which were being sick at the Colombo Hilton) and while certainly I'm no expert, I do understand a little how to navigate around.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Aman Sri Lanka Trip Report Part I

This was our first visit to Sri Lanka though it would be more accurate to say that we were visiting the Amanwella rather than Lanka itself as we never intended to leave the resort.

Part of the decision to visit Amanwella was influenced by the 50% discount on the rack rates by Amanresorts to promote tourism in SL. So we paid 275 USD for a pool suite instead of the usual 550 USD. On top of this we got upgraded to an ocean pool suite. So we were quite lucky to pay only 275 USD for a 700 USD room.

Our Sri Lanka experience started with the Sri Lankan Airlines flight which took off just in time from Delhi and 3 hours later we landed in Colombo. We were pleasantly surprised to find a modern airport at Colombo. It was no Changi but was certainly better than Indian airports. Anyway the airport was empty possibly due to the time (3 in the morn) and we managed to get a visa and retrieve our luggage within 20 minutes of landing.

We had previously arranged for the transfer from the airport to the resort with Aman and their representative met us outside the airport. We were shown to a Toyota Corolla and then we started off.

The airport is about 45 mins from Colombo and 3 hours from Galle, where we intended to stop for breakfast. It was still dark and raining as we reached Bentota, halfway to Galle.

At Galle, we stopped at the Amangalla, Amanresorts’s outpost at Galla. We had initially planned to have breakfast there before continuing to Amanwella which was a further 1.5 hour away. We arrived at Galle around 6.30 in the morn. At Amangalla, we got a warm welcome and a short tour from one of the butlers there. He showed us around the gardens and the swimming pool and the library. Only one room was occupied at that time but they were expecting some guests soon.

Amangalla which used to the New Oriental Hotel in its previous avatar had got a top to toe renovation and was classy. The swimming pool was large (21 m) and generally the hotel very elegant.

As it was only 7 in the morn and Amanwella was only one and a half hour away, we decided to skip breakfast, and after having some juice and tea started on our journey to Amanwella at Tangalla.

The road from Galle to Tangalla was much narrower with lost more turns and my wife quickly started feeling nauseous. Anyways there was nothing we could do but had to stop a couple of times on the way.

The road was just next to the coast and the damaged by the tsunami to the houses along the coast was very severe. In most of the places, the walls had been completely washed away.

We reached Amanwella around 9, 2 hours after starting from Amangalla. The last mile of the journey was on a very narrow road in the jungle leading to the resort.

Amanwella looked bigger and was much more modern in terms of design than Amangalla. We were shown to the reception area and were greeted by the managers, Tania and John there, who run Amanwella.

It was surprising to find them so relaxed and welcoming. The whole atmosphere was very relaxed starting with the managers themselves who were interacting with the guests personally. They had no airs about them and were very friendly.

We were shown around the place starting with the library, swimming pool and the restaurant and lounge. Then we were shown to our room No.107 which was on the other side of the main area. We were tired and wanted to rest for sometime. The room was quite large and the design and layout was splendid.

Every room was a stand alone unit with a pool. The pool was located right at the entrance with a daybed for lounging and a table for dining along with it. Next to the pool was the indoor areas consisting of a long room (40 feet long and 15 wide) separated into 2 equal parts (of 20 feet long and 15 wide). One was the bedroom area and the other the bath. Adjacent to the indoor area was a terrace as long as the room (40 feet) and 10 feet wide. Another day bed and table with two chairs for private dining were located there.

Bedroom area had a very comfortable and large bed, a chaise lounge and an armchair. Bathroom had twin vanities, 2 person deep soaking tub and separate shower and toilet.

Overall the room was very luxurious and the attention to detail was fantastic from the Bose radio and CD player to the Artemide lamps. There were no wall along the two long sides of the room. Privacy was provided by latticed sliding doors on these sides.

We had a very nice view of the ocean and the beach from our room and terrace. We later learnt that our room was an ocean pool suite rather a pool suite and we had been upgraded as we had booked for 7 nights and there was very low occupancy (2 rooms other than us).

Amanwella has 140 members of staff for a maximum of 60 guests. At the time we arrived there were only 4 other guests. In some respects we were very lucky. We were treated like kings from the moment we got there. We got personal attention from everyone from the General Managers right to the stewards. We were the only ones besides the main pool which was amazing. 45 metres long and situated right above the beach. In fact there was hardly anyone by the pool during our whole stay and we spent so much time there that we didn’t use the private pool on more than two occasions.

There were two reasons for this. When you can use a 45 m infinity edge pool as your private pool the plunge pool in your suite starts looking very inadequate. The other was the superlative service by the main pool. From cold towels to drinks, it was service with a smile all the way.

Continued ……..
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:50 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
theaviator,
thank you for the great report and effort so far ! Please tell us more about the costs for food, drinks, other services.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Aman Prices

Originally Posted by ngfan
theaviator,
thank you for the great report and effort so far ! Please tell us more about the costs for food, drinks, other services.
Drinks were 250 LKR for local beer, 500 LKR for imported ones. Cocktails and spirits were 850 LKR. Moet & Chandon champagne was 10000 LKR and Dom Perignon was 20000 LKR. Fresh orange juice was 500 LKR and other fresh juices 300.

100 LKR=1 USD

Food was 500-1200 LKR for entrees, 800-2000 for main course and between 500-1500 LKR for desserts.

We had two spa treatments. First one was shirodhara (oil dripping onto the forehead) for 30 mins for USD 40. Wife had complete ayurved treatment for 75 min for USD 80. Both were taken at Amangalla.

At Amanwella, she had a head neck shoulder massage 45 min long for 4500 LKR.

Please ask if you require any other info.

Bye
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:52 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Any word on how to handle tipping at those Amans ?
Old Aug 6, 2005, 12:31 pm

Nice hotel. Was it destroyed in any way by the tsunumi? I would be too scared to go until they get a way to receive tsunmumi warnings in advance. It gives me the creeps. I had a friend who was in Sri Lanka during the tsunumi and she survived it by spending hours on the hotel roof. Friends of hers vanished while on a boating trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.