Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by amaroo
Only ever stayed at the Pen or MO in BKK ... multiply stays at each property.

Will be enjoying a three night stay again this week, decided on the Pen - can't beat that pool!
Stay 3, pay 2 also can't be beat!
Old May 30, 2015, 7:24 am

I spend a lot of time in Bangkok but checked in for my first stay at the Pen this afternoon.

Have always been a bit turned off by the design of the Pen's rooms given it's an older property and looked from the photos that it has been quite a while since the the rooms had a refurb.

I was pleasantly surprised on that front as the room is in very good shape and it doesn't look anywhere near as dated as I expected.

Service and food have been flawless so far.

I have never really understood the "wrong side of the river" / bad location thing (especially vis-a-vis the MO). I understand it even less so after taking the boat to the pier next to the Shangri-la today and back.

From a tourist perspective if you really cared about the location probably the St Regis would be most convenient and I can't see much of a difference between the MO vs the Pen. It's not like you can really walk to many of the tourist sites from either.

From a work perspective obviously it depends on where your office is but in the morning traffic I'm not sure it would take me much longer to get to Sathon from the Pen via 2 minute boat ride + Uber that it does from the hotels on Ratchadamri (St Regis, GH, what used to be the FS).

In either case I am sure it would be easy to have an Uber waiting for you at the Pen pier on the 'right side of the river'. I guess rain and heat would make the boat ride less fun although I think you could actually be undercover the whole way to your car waiting on the other side.

(I have not yet stayed at the MO so can't compare generally)
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:20 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two posts about an unspecified Bangkok hotel that were here were moved to their own thread in the Thailand forum.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajca
I spend a lot of time in Bangkok but checked in for my first stay at the Pen this afternoon.

Have always been a bit turned off by the design of the Pen's rooms given it's an older property and looked from the photos that it has been quite a while since the the rooms had a refurb.

I was pleasantly surprised on that front as the room is in very good shape and it doesn't look anywhere near as dated as I expected.

Service and food have been flawless so far.

I have never really understood the "wrong side of the river" / bad location thing (especially vis-a-vis the MO). I understand it even less so after taking the boat to the pier next to the Shangri-la today and back.

From a tourist perspective if you really cared about the location probably the St Regis would be most convenient and I can't see much of a difference between the MO vs the Pen. It's not like you can really walk to many of the tourist sites from either.

From a work perspective obviously it depends on where your office is but in the morning traffic I'm not sure it would take me much longer to get to Sathon from the Pen via 2 minute boat ride + Uber that it does from the hotels on Ratchadamri (St Regis, GH, what used to be the FS).

In either case I am sure it would be easy to have an Uber waiting for you at the Pen pier on the 'right side of the river'. I guess rain and heat would make the boat ride less fun although I think you could actually be undercover the whole way to your car waiting on the other side.

(I have not yet stayed at the MO so can't compare generally)
1998. Not that old. Actually liked our suite and thought it was well appointed.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this section of FT so appreciate your advice!

A quick 3d2n layover transiting through HKG had me thinking of hopping to MFM and hide in a luxury hotel to temporarily get away with all my stress. However, it seems like hotels in BKK, even including the airfare, are a lot cheaper and better value, so I'm basically looking for a place to spend a night or two - sleep, eat, relax by the pool and maybe do some spa treatments.

I've been looking at the Pen and Sukhothai since they've been heavily discounting their rates. It looks like the rooms at the Pen are very dated and it doesnt have a rain shower (I like them, and the wood bathroom at Sukhothai just looks awesome). It's around 30% more expensive than the Sukhothai, but I heard service has been more inconsistent at the latter than the Pen. (Although i do want to try the sunday brunch/tea at the Sukhothai - apparently it has been raved about, so not sure if i should factor that in too). Is it worth paying a bit more to stay at the Pen, given that the BKK Pen sounds like one of the less top-notch ones?

My other choices are on the lines of Banyan Tree, Conrad/Hilton Millennium (where I would get points, but not sure if it matters here given I have so many choices), Oriental residences, Okura, GH, IC...etc - I assume they're not in the same league as Sukhothai and Pen?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:12 pm

I wouldn't underestimate the Pen in BKK, it is a solid hotel with very good service. Give it a try! Miles ahead of Conrad/Hilton, Okura, IC. Banyan Tree is especially frightful, avoid at all costs. Grand Hyatt is a wonderful option, actually one of the best Grand Hyatts in existence and well established in Bangkok but it is Rajadamri - very different scene. If you're looking to escape and de-stress, you would want to be on the river.
Wise decision to skip Macau in favor of BKK.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:23 pm

Definitely The Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental^
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I've seen a lot of love for the Pen here but I don't really see how its set apart from the other 5*s...what does 'service' mean? As in a good conceirge...etc? Seems that there are a lot of neg comments on TA too :/

The bathroom/decor at the Sukhothai seems to look much better, IDK. Perhaps I'll stay there this time, and it'll be the Pen next time
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I've seen a lot of love for the Pen here but I don't really see how its set apart from the other 5*s...what does 'service' mean? As in a good conceirge...etc? Seems that there are a lot of neg comments on TA too :/

The bathroom/decor at the Sukhothai seems to look much better, IDK. Perhaps I'll stay there this time, and it'll be the Pen next time
As the Thais would say, "It's up to you."

FWIW, the riverside location of Pen and MO is the absolute best way to experience Bangkok. And the Pen's bathrooms are lovely - very spacious and user friendly.

Not happy with the Pen? Mandarin Oriental is another option right accross tge river.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Also, I take TA reviews with a grain of salt anyways (ever seen an Aman resort at the top?). We have been to BKK several times over the past years and, aside from the MO, the Pen is the only other place we stay (yet to try Siam). From their bmw/rr car service to concierge, amazing river views from their serene pool, they have never disappointed. We are going back in Oct there again (on way to Krabi).
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC

There's 5* and then there's the true 5 stars in Bangkok.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:13 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
I've stayed at the GH Erawan in Bangkok very two weeks ago. I've been rather disappointed. The renovated rooms are ok but nothing special. They've made a sort of bench that is neither comfy nor practical to access the desk properly.
The mattress was ROCK HARD, probably the firmest i've ever tried and way too much for me.

Service was hit and miss, except at the club lounge. The concierge was absolutely not helpful and I don't think the door was held or opened for me anytime over 3 days. Not that I need it but I think it's rather disturbing to see staff permanently chatting and not opening the door for the guests.

The lobby restaurant is quite good though (food wise) but the A/C must be set on 19 because it's freezing there.

I've tried many other high-end properties in Bangkok and this one was one of the most disappointing ones (even for a Diamond member): 4S (now Anantara), Grande Sheraton, Sofitel Sukhumvit, MO, SL, San Regis, Royal Meridien Plaza Athenee, Sukhotai
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Not sure what all this business about the Pen's rooms being dated is coming from. I don't find them dated. All the rooms had a refresh a few years ago. True, no rainfall shower head, but that's not my litmus test.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Not sure what all this business about the Pen's rooms being dated is coming from. I don't find them dated. All the rooms had a refresh a few years ago. True, no rainfall shower head, but that's not my litmus test.
The Pen does have luxuriously powerful showers, as one would expect from Peninsula.

I absolutely adore The Peninsula Bangkok, and even though service wise it is not quite what it once was, I remain loyal to it and very happy to stay there.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:31 pm

I've got 6 nights in BKK, leaning towards the Shangri-La as it seems to be walking distance to the BTS and Express Boat stations, but the Pen is highly reviewed here and elsewhere...

Picked the riverside as it's my first time in BKK, and have been told the river is the easiest way to see the GP, Wat Arun etc. Plus, I'll have just done a month at the office in SIN and will want some relaxing downtime and the pools on the river look divine.

I'm traveling solo now, instead of having my mother join me as originally planned, as a mid-20's female- ok to walk from BTS/river boat to SL or to the Pen's boat? I won't be out late (not a drinker or a partier!) but possibly a late dinner (solo).

Rate at SL is about $157USD/night w/AP for deluxe river view in main wing, rate at Pen is a bit higher. Plus, plan on booking through CitiPrestige & having 4th night free.

Thoughts? I usually stay at lower end places in Asia, but treating myself this go around!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.