Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
All of Bangkok is a hole...so it doesn't really matter where you stay. The MO is old and musty and has been living off it's reputation for the past 20 years. Lots of better places to stay in Bangkok now, whereas before, the MO and the old Regent were basically it.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:37 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
All of Bangkok is a hole...so it doesn't really matter where you stay. The MO is old and musty and has been living off it's reputation for the past 20 years. Lots of better places to stay in Bangkok now, whereas before, the MO and the old Regent were basically it.
I think having an opinion is valid. But, you do not qualify the opinion.

"Lots of better places to stay in Bangkok now" does not really lend a lot of usefulness to the conversation, IMO.

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Of all our stays at the MO in the past 15 years the best one was in 2014. It is not old and not musty, this statement is dead wrong. Service there is perfect year after year.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
+1
Old May 17, 2015, 9:18 am

Your first comment disqualified the rest of your statement. You have take the MO for what it is. It's a Grande Dame. It's not the newest kid on the block, but then again it's not pretending to be. It's a very well-run hotel with a ton of history and everything that comes with it.
It might have lived off its reputation for a while when Jan Goessing was at the helm. He was criticized quite a bit, even on this forum. Standards seemed to have suffered during that time. But now with Amanda Hyndman, the hotel is better than ever. MO is very, very lucky to have her. She is great with guests and staff alike and brought many great things to The Oriental. The renovations are just her latest accomplishment. Are there newer hotels now? Sure, just take The Siam, which is a wonderful oasis and works for many people here. It depends on your preference of style and itinerary in Bangkok.
That said, I'm looking forward to FS' 2018 opening.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:55 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Mandarin Oriental to add more suites: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busi...-30260291.html

The renovation is due to start this month, during the hotel's low season, and will take about seven months, reopening in December at the peak of the high season.

"We have already closed the tower for a big renovation at a cost of Bt630 million. Addition refurbishment is being planned," Hyndman said.

Once the renovation is completed, there will be 14 new suites with balconies.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:12 am
Suspended

BKK is the last city in the word where I'd buy into the "Lots of better places to stay than the MO" argument. Give me a break. I don't even send people to the MO (Pen and Siam here) but I'll be the first to admit the MO is a stellar hotel with tons of history worthy of every iota of biz they can get....

BKK is a city of great hotels from brands as diverse as JW, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, and independent lines like Sukosol. Tons of options!!

p.s., not sure if anyone knows this yet, but Siam is opening a second hotel, closer to things.....
Old May 18, 2015, 7:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by stimpy
Funny, that's what people have been saying about the MO for about 50 years now. If a new hotel has come up and done a good job, I'm happy for them. But I'm sticking with the hotel that has 100 years of great history even if a newer ones shines a tiny bit brighter.
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I agree - but the consensus I come across is strongly towards "MO = better location"...

I guess I should edit my numbers to "7/10 would claim ______" vs 10/10
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Indeed. For purposes of many, even most, tourists staying in the Riverside area, MO location and Pen location = same same but different.
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Of all our stays at the MO in the past 15 years the best one was in 2014. It is not old and not musty, this statement is dead wrong. Service there is perfect year after year.
+1
The location of MO is generally regarded as the preferred side of the river by the Thais / locals . For tourists , the traffic conditions can come as a shock & being on the ' right ' side of the river does help save some time . Those staying at the Pen often make alternative arrangements if they know that their schedule maybe affected - one doesn't want to miss flights

Have stayed at the MO for years ( likely many years before numerous posters here were even born ) as well as some other BKK " top " hotels but often gravitate back .. Unless circumstances dictate otherwise ( MOBKK renovations / heat ) like the visit barely a week ago .

Sure hope the renovations will improve the already lovely garden & enhance the property / grounds .

The downside about being a grande dame , rather staying , are the number of day trippers . But one has to share the good things with others , just hope for decent considerate manners .

Yes , have heard & looking forward to the new SIAM , nearer to town , before more Thai friends give me that look .

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 18, 2015 at 10:38 am Reason: Typos , sorry system kept getting stuck
Old May 19, 2015, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by scented
But now with Amanda Hyndman, the hotel is better than ever. MO is very, very lucky to have her. She is great with guests and staff alike and brought many great things to The Oriental. The renovations are just her latest accomplishment.
I'd say she is doing well as the MO was recently named the very first, and only, 5 star hotel in Thailand by Forbes. Ditto for the Oriental Spa.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...ls_for_Bangkok

Six new hotels between now and (hopefully) end of the decade:
- Rosewood
- Park Hyatt
- Edition
- Four Seasons CP
- Capella
- Waldorf Astoria

I hadn't heard about Siam times two, where will that be?
Old May 19, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'd say she is doing well as the MO was recently named the very first, and only, 5 star hotel in Thailand by Forbes. Ditto for the Oriental Spa.
I don't always tend to agree with the Forbes stars but this one was one on the money.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
At The Peninsula now. It really is a lovely property. I very much would like to feel it is perfect, but alas it is not. Some minor mis-steps, which I am quite forgiving about even at a luxury property (which, I probably should not be, but I prefer to live in "the positive").

But, one issue today was more than just a minor misstep. My hope will be that management addresses what I would consider to be a semi-major issue with appropriate empathy and concern. I guess, I have been very lucky the last few years as I have seldom had anything "major enough" to complain about at both luxury and more pedestrian 4* properties.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
At The Peninsula now. It really is a lovely property. I very much would like to feel it is perfect, but alas it is not. Some minor mis-steps, which I am quite forgiving about even at a luxury property (which, I probably should not be, but I prefer to live in "the positive").

But, one issue today was more than just a minor misstep. My hope will be that management addresses what I would consider to be a semi-major issue with appropriate empathy and concern. I guess, I have been very lucky the last few years as I have seldom had anything "major enough" to complain about at both luxury and more pedestrian 4* properties.
I hope you'll elaborate later on the issue later please.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I hope you'll elaborate later on the issue later please.
Absolutely. But, I am a rather "positive intent" person. This is a very rare (and unlike me) rant. Just want to see how things play out. We have another very busy day tomorrow, but hopefully the response from the property will be positive.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Absolutely. But, I am a rather "positive intent" person. This is a very rare (and unlike me) rant. Just want to see how things play out. We have another very busy day tomorrow, but hopefully the response from the property will be positive.
Understood. All the best king of baccarat!
Old May 26, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
We had a very minor grumble about check-in on the feedback form after our excellent stay at The Pen a few years agi. We got a very generous offer from the management, we weren't expecting anything.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Only ever stayed at the Pen or MO in BKK ... multiply stays at each property.

Will be enjoying a three night stay again this week, decided on the Pen - can't beat that pool!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.