Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:27 pm

Not sure about their pool since I have never stayed there but the bar on top of Sofitel So has jaw dropping views over Lumphini Park
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by sydakllon
Been to Bangkok a few times. Sofitel So sounds okay. Not really the standard I was hoping for though.

Mandarin Oriental out. I don't like stuffy dress code places and don't follow them when I stay anyway (Ritz London...) which just makes other people uncomfortable.
Mandarin Oriental Bangkok is absolutely nothing like the Ritz London.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:50 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Perhaps. "Dress code" just puts me off.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Perhaps. "Dress code" just puts me off.
Don't behave like a complete moron and you won't even notice :-).... It's not a beach resort so (beach)shorts and flipflops are ok for at the pool, not so much in the restaurant or bar. Not a problem for nearly anybody.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Don't behave like a complete moron and you won't even notice :-).... It's not a beach resort so (beach)shorts and flipflops are ok for at the pool, not so much in the restaurant or bar. Not a problem for nearly anybody.
Exactly. Excessively casual shorts and sandals (e.g. such that could be described as athletic wear or something more appropriate for a beach or swimming pool setting) are not appropriate to wear in the restaurants or public areas of any hotel.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Feb 27, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Exactly. IMO excessively casual shorts and sandals (e.g. such that could be described as athletic wear or something more appropriate for a beach or swimming pool setting) are not appropriate to wear in the restaurants or public areas of any hotel.
Good to know. Next time I'll leave my wife-beater, my backwards baseball cap, and my crocs at home.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Good to know. Next time I'll leave my wife-beater, my backwards baseball cap, and my crocs at home.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:49 am

+1
I stayed at the MO Bangkok last Summer with my young brother and we thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and facilities. No strange look from staff or older clients even if we were not wearing jacket & tie for dinner. Actually as soon as you wear a proper attire nobody cares.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I'll give a thumbs down to the Peninsula BKK. I was just there. Rooms are nice, but service was not up to par. F&B was every bit as bad as others have hinted. MO across the river looked much better, but the crowd might be a little older.
Agree about the service for spa and F&B. The spa boutique, with waterfall walls and orchid galore, feels inviting but the surly front desk staff don’t seem so pleasant on the night. They also wanted us to pay and depart as they were starting to clean at 9 pm.

The treatments were good at the Pen spa but just the staff were an unpleasant beginning for us (first night spa appt).

http://missspaist.com/2014/04/15/a-t...gkok-espa-spa/

Trying to flag a server down at breakfast is also pure luck. Get your tea and coffee at the beginning of the meal. The MO is definitely a more polished place in our experience.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
Agree about the service for spa and F&B. The spa boutique, with waterfall walls and orchid galore, feels inviting but the surly front desk staff don’t seem so pleasant on the night. They also wanted us to pay and depart as they were starting to clean at 9 pm.

The treatments were good at the Pen spa but just the staff were an unpleasant beginning for us (first night spa appt).

http://missspaist.com/2014/04/15/a-t...gkok-espa-spa/

Trying to flag a server down at breakfast is also pure luck. Get your tea and coffee at the beginning of the meal. The MO is definitely a more polished place in our experience.
I have an upcoming stay at the Pen. Only for one night, but still, all this negative feedback: sucks?

FWIW, I switched from a Cat. 1 room at the MO to a Cat. 3 suite at the Pen. Made the change a little easier.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
As a longtime Pen loyalist, I'll put in a good word. I've not seen any problems like those described in this thread. The new GM and her team are trying out a lot of new things to energize the hotel and refresh the experience. Breakfast can get busy when the hotel is crowded, but if you get to know a specific server who is working in your area, you shouldn't have any problem getting attention (just my suggestion). I'm never disappointed with a stay, and even the little bit of constructive criticism I pass along is uniformly well received. I recall at this past New Year's commenting on something that management was already working on fixing-- and I can't even remember what the issue was.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:27 am

I'm not a fan of the Pen but I really liked breakfast there (also love the pool.)

I've never noticed any stuffiness or dress code at the Oriental. In fact on my last trip, some tourists who could only be described as completely trashy wandered in to Sala Rim Naan to take pictures. I wish they would have enforced more of a dress code! I love the place and can't think of anywhere I would rather be when I get off of a long flight than having lunch outside at the Oriental.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by cakegirl
I've never noticed any stuffiness or dress code at the Oriental. In fact on my last trip, some tourists who could only be described as completely trashy wandered in to Sala Rim Naan to take pictures. I wish they would have enforced more of a dress code! I love the place and can't think of anywhere I would rather be when I get off of a long flight than having lunch outside at the Oriental.
I was at the Pen, but went over to the Oriental to eat. I saw no hint of a dress code. I was dressed in khaki shorts and was not hassled.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:36 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Thanks. Im assuming linen shorts and Birkenstocks aren't a problem then.
I'll have a think - I like more contemporary / modern hotels.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'll have a think - I like more contemporary / modern hotels.
That's why I suggested the Sofitel So. It's probably the newest of the luxury hotels in town and the design is modern/hip. The MO is pretty much the opposite of modern. But it has such character that most people who try it love it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.