Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:38 am

Programs: some
Am in the Sheraton Grande right now. I love this place. I'm on a cheap priceline stay ($65) but I have a great room on a high floor. The spa and swimming pool are among the nicest I have ever seen in a city anywhere in the world. The staff are great. Although I really liked the JW Marriott, this is certainly a class higher. ^

ps Welcome to FT, downing_sd
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:13 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
87 @ the Conrad

The 'old' 87 bar/club at the Conrad was closed the last time I visitied the Hotel a couple of months ago. However, I was there earlier this week and it has re-opened and is now called (orginally enough) 87 Plus !!.

They have a new resident band on there but I can't comment on the place as I only had a day room so no chance to check it out.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:16 pm

In the Peninsula now - great hotel, but pool is disappointing compared with the Sheraton and there were several service lapses. Mind you, it is a wonderful hotel nonetheless; we are talking lapses at a very high level.

Still, I think that the Sheraton comes very, very close to the Pen in almost every way, except maybe for the rooms. And at $65 through Priceline it is a much better deal than the $170 I pay here.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:05 am

is there a Web site that offers discounted prepaid rates at the Oriental or Peninsula?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fliar
In the Peninsula now - great hotel, but pool is disappointing compared with the Sheraton and there were several service lapses. Mind you, it is a wonderful hotel nonetheless; we are talking lapses at a very high level.

Still, I think that the Sheraton comes very, very close to the Pen in almost every way, except maybe for the rooms. And at $65 through Priceline it is a much better deal than the $170 I pay here.
Hi Fliar- could you detail your service lapses at the Pen? I have stayed several times at the SGS and once at the Royal Orchid (btw I know others like it- but I really really really don't like the Royal Orchid) as well as many other BKK hotels. I am looking to have a little variety in my life so on my upcoming trips to BKK I am going:
-To the MET for the first time
-Back to the FS
-Back to the PEN (haven't been there in a while due to the awkward location)
-To the Conrad for the 1st time
Price is not a big issue- but the rate at the PEN is $208 US which is quite high for BKK- if the service has gone down I might as well just scrap it and try??? I am interested in the boards response.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:25 pm

Backpacking at The Oriental

I just returned from 2 nights at The Oriental after backpacking on the islands for 2 weeks. I thought the service was PERFECT and I loved staying there. Yes, I felt EXTREMELY underdressed as my nicest shoes were flip-flops, but the staff was insanely courteous and the only discrimination I felt was probably self-imposed. I booked directly on their website where they had very reasonable rates (that seem to be getting lower each time I check.)

I never stayed at The Peninsula, but did have dinner there and the food was outstanding.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:47 am

TRAVELSIG, I'll post a full trip report in a week or so. If money is no concern I would:
- stay at the Pen
- pay for pool/spa access at SGS

If, like for me, money is of concern, then the $65 or so rates you can get on PL for SGS are infinitely better value than the Pen.

The service lapses were minor and did not really detract from the overall experience. One becomes overly critical sometimes. I really liked the technology in the room (being able to answer the phone in the bathroom, the tv by the bath, the newspaper/shoeshine box), and the outside area/little boats. Afternoon tea was an affordable (400 baht) pleasure.

I managed to get a good rate of $172 (ex taxes, including breakfast for 2) through precision travel. They are a funny bunch - in some cases they are very cheap, in others very expensive; compare!

Last edited by Fliar; Apr 19, 2005 at 2:52 am
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
TRAVELSIG, I'll post a full trip report in a week or so. If money is no concern I would:
- stay at the Pen
- pay for pool/spa access at SGS

If, like for me, money is of concern, then the $65 or so rates you can get on PL for SGS are infinitely better value than the Pen.

The service lapses were minor and did not really detract from the overall experience. One becomes overly critical sometimes. I really liked the technology in the room (being able to answer the phone in the bathroom, the tv by the bath, the newspaper/shoeshine box), and the outside area/little boats. Afternoon tea was an affordable (400 baht) pleasure.

I managed to get a good rate of $172 (ex taxes, including breakfast for 2) through precision travel. They are a funny bunch - in some cases they are very cheap, in others very expensive; compare!
Did you go over to the Oriental? If What What did you think?

I just returned from 2 nights at The Oriental after backpacking on the islands for 2 weeks. I thought the service was PERFECT and I loved staying there. Yes, I felt EXTREMELY underdressed as my nicest shoes were flip-flops, but the staff was insanely courteous and the only discrimination I felt was probably self-imposed. I booked directly on their website where they had very reasonable rates (that seem to be getting lower each time I check.)
Could you elaborate anymore on your experience at the Oriental? I'm planning to go in June and am currently debating the Pen vs. the O
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by aa4ever
Could you elaborate anymore on your experience at the Oriental? I'm planning to go in June and am currently debating the Pen vs. the O
I never stayed at The Peninsula so I can't compare the two hotels (although I did have an AMAZING dinner there one night). The Oriental was just beautiful. Breakfast on the terrace in the morning, beautiful pool area, tea in the Authors' Lounge...I'm sure both hotels are great. Why not stay at both? They are directly across the river from one another...Are you looking for anything in particular? If so, PM me and I'll try to advise...
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:28 pm

In reply to aa4ever, the Oriental looked like one fine hotel. Dinner at le Normandie was disappointing for the money spent, but the lobby and general feel of the place were very nice indeed. I must say, however, that being in the Peninsula you get to look out over the city, whereas in the Oriental you look out over Thonburi, i.e. away from the city itself. I think the Pen has an edge here.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:14 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Fliar - How did you get the breakfast included in the rate with precision? The site quotes room and tax only.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
Fliar - How did you get the breakfast included in the rate with precision? The site quotes room and tax only.
mmmhhh, strange. Check what happens when you go on to the last page - still not showing? Then ring them (they do actually answer the phone!) and explain this. If there is a problem PM me and I can email you a copy of the confirmation.
Old May 2, 2005, 4:45 pm

I have just posted a trip report with comments about the PEN and the SGS in Bangkok.
Old May 8, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
Which hotel do you think is best for a two night (July 31-Aug 2), first time stay in BKK? There are so many good packages and rates it is hard to know which one to take!

The Westin has a good deal at $129/n, including breakfast and wine
The Sukhothai, 190-240 with breakfast (240 for a deluxe suite)
The Pen is $230 inc o/t limo transfer, breakfast, and afternoon tea.
The Met is 195 inc rtn trans, breakfast, Met Room,

All are in budget, but just wondering which one will be in the best location for a quick tour of the city sights!

What is the breakfast buffet like at the Pen? Can anyone tell me how much the limo transfer is o/w from there to the airport?
Thanks
Old May 8, 2005, 9:13 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
taxi

Originally Posted by johnkennett
Which hotel do you think is best for a two night (July 31-Aug 2), first time stay in BKK? There are so many good packages and rates it is hard to know which one to take!

The Westin has a good deal at $129/n, including breakfast and wine
The Sukhothai, 190-240 with breakfast (240 for a deluxe suite)
The Pen is $230 inc o/t limo transfer, breakfast, and afternoon tea.
The Met is 195 inc rtn trans, breakfast, Met Room,

All are in budget, but just wondering which one will be in the best location for a quick tour of the city sights!

What is the breakfast buffet like at the Pen? Can anyone tell me how much the limo transfer is o/w from there to the airport?
Thanks

i would suggest that you take a taxi if there is not a special event which will make you need a limousine. taxi from westin bbk to airport for example is exactly 135 to 149 Baht (depending on time) +70Baht for Expressway. it will take around 15min-2h depending on time you try to get to the airport.

dp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.