Wailea, Maui - Four Seasons or Grand Wailea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wailea, Maui - Four Seasons or Grand Wailea

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:56 am

Programs: AA-PLT, 1MM, SPG Plat
You can go to maui for peace and quiet. Just a few steps from the GW and FS is the Renaissance Wailea which is worlds away in terms of crowds. It is the next beach over from GW and we used to walk there and sit on their beach to get away from all the turmoil at GW. When researching our stay at GW all I kept reading about was it's fantastic beach. When I looked at the beach from GW or theFS I was not impressed with the beach at all. There were many more beautiful beaches one of which was just a few steps away.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:30 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold; SQ PPS Solitaire; Amex Centurion
Four Seasons, Four Seasons, Four Seasons.....
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:04 am

We just got back from Maui, having stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani and visited both the Grand Wailea and the FS

As it happened we originally wanted to stay at the FS but they were full on a couple of the nights we wanted to stay, so we went for the Kea Lani instead.

I was VERY releived that we'd chosen the Kea Lani. The FS wasn't anything like the standard I would have expected - at least from the state of the pool areas and beach. Certainly nothing like the Hualalai property on the Big Island, which we loved.

I can recoomend the Kea Lani unreservedly.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:56 am

I also just returned from Maui yesterday. We spent four nights at the GW and six nights at the FS.

The FS was perfect...we were upgraded to an oceanview prime suite, (Room 507) which was a dining room, a sitting room with pull-out sofa, a king bedroom, a large bathroom and three sets of sliding doors to two lanais. The service was top-notch, and all cabanas and umbrellas are free. Food was delicious and the entertainment at the restaurants was wonderful.

At the GW, we had a 2 BR-suite ($2100 per night) and we still had to pay $45 for shade on the beach. The service was functional, but cannot compare to the FS.

I have stayed at the Kea Lani as well, but the FS is definitely the best hotel in Wailea.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:55 am

different views - this is what makes a market
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I write this in the last few hours before I check out and head back to YYZ and the cold.

Stayed at the 4S for 7 nights, and thought this was a great property. Stayed on the Club Level (8th floor) and found the staff in the lounge to be top notch. UA lost our luggage and upon check in with our Walmart bags (no luggage just Walmart bags at 4S was fun), had to stop on the way to grab a couple of items to last for 24 hours without luggage. The lounge staff took my UA lost luggage up and I didn't have to lift a finger. One piece arrived late that night and the second the next day, but each time I passed one of the lounge staff over that 24 hour period they let me know the latest without prompting, so I knew they were on top of the situation.

The pool and beach area were not that busy this week, a couple of large groups (President/Leaders Club) were on site, but they did not fill up the chairs. Found getting a spot in the morning to be easy. There were of course the early morning risers who staked their claim to the best spots then back to bed or who knows where for a couple of hours before returning. The staff have a 20 min rule for abandoned chairs, but since it wasn't busy I didn't see this enforced. Thought the menu was a little limited pool side and would like to have had some better salad options. The Evian mist and cold towel were nice with frequent offers. In addition to the morning fruit offer, usually strawberries, and the afternoon Popsicle.

Walked past the GW a number of times and it looked busy with a ton of kids, so I rate the 4S as the top choice. ^

The weather was great all week and no rain. The whales are also jumping and splashing with lots of whale watching possible.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by nyuboy
...if you want a luxe resort that isn't a "zoo," per se, then you really should not be on maui, or in hawaii, for that matter.
There is one place for luxury and peace on Maui:

http://www.hotelhanamaui.com/

...and they'll include some tropical rainstorms at no extra charge. Hey, worse things can happen to you than warm, tropical rain with some rainbows.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:39 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Lifetime Gold
Another vote for the Kea Lani. During our stay at the KL (summer 2003), we visited and dined at the 4S and attended a wedding at the GW. We were glad we picked the KL. Service was better at the 4S (service is not a Maui strength generally) and the pool area was "water park" quality at the GW (which is good and bad). KL was a good mix although rumor has it that if you have a problem, the word "responsive" doesn't exist at the KL. I've got friends that swear by the 4S due to bad service experiences at the KL. I just adjust my expectations to a level that the KL can meet.

I've had friends stay at the Hana Hotel and they loved everything except for dining. It's way away from everything else so there are no dining options.

All the properties are absurdly overpriced in my opinion (as are the resturants and everything else) but that's the luxury market in Hawaii. If you are more adventuresome, there are far better experiences at less cost in places like Thailand, Indonesia, and Brazil.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
I have conference in Grand Wailea this coming January. Any thoughts on which hotel to choose of the two. It would be easy if we stay at FS as it is right next door. I'm leaning though towards G. Wailea.
Old May 26, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Four Seasons is my all-time favorite; always great service and good food. GW is too hectic for my tastes.xxxxxxxxxDeleted references to Commercial website. Obscure2k, Moderator

I wish all the resorts, from Hawaii to the Caribbean and many of the big cruise ships in between, would have a moratorium on lounge chair saving. It always bugs me to see lots of empty chairs saved with a book or shoes while guests wander aimlessly around looking for a lounge. I don't see that as often at RC Kapalua, another favorite in Maui, but too far for you to attend conference at GW.

Last edited by obscure2k; Jun 2, 2011 at 6:50 pm
Old May 26, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
Would the answer be the same considering we're going to be there in January when schools are open and will be with our 7 year old son? How does the service and the quality of accomodation compare?
Old May 27, 2011, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rooms >
380 - FS, incl 26-31 club http://www.fourseasons.com/maui/club_floor/
850 - grand wailea resort, incl 100 napua, benefits = ?

also noticed there is at least one residential development (the one i saw has 14 residences) where owners can buy a membership to grand wailea resort
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, AMEX Platinum
I would vote FS. It is elegant and adult-themed whereas I found the GW kid-filled and Disney-ish. But that is a matter of taste to an extent. I thought the FS service was top-notch, spa was great, and Spago is an excellent restaurant there.

I echo that the crowds can be a problem though. My brother and sister-in-law did not love the place due to the crowds.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
I wish all the resorts, from Hawaii to the Caribbean and many of the big cruise ships in between, would have a moratorium on lounge chair saving. It always bugs me to see lots of empty chairs saved with a book or shoes while guests wander aimlessly around looking for a lounge. I don't see that as often at RC Kapalua, another favorite in Maui, but too far for you to attend conference at GW.
But this is how the pool attendants make lots of extra $$$$$ at FS Maui. I was flabbergasted that FS allows this. The last time we stayed at the FS Maui, we watched this unfold daily. Our room (cave) was on the third floor looking directly on the pool. We learned later that the trick was to send your nanny out at 4:30am or so to reserve the chairs before the pool staff arrived. We spent all three days on the cement, not once getting a single lounge chair.

This is off topic for this thread, but I cannot imagine ever returning to the FS Maui precisely for this reason. Hateful, hateful, hateful.

JF are you listening?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Four Seasons Maui

We have stayed at every Four Seasons in Hawaii and really liked the FS Maui as we did Hualalai. I dont think there is any comparison to the other properties on Wailea or Maui for that matter. If you care about service, food and beach, Four Seasons Maui is first rate. This being the case, all hotels in Maui are more compact than on the Big Island. FS Maui does a nice job but is not as open as Hualalai. We are planning to return to FS Maui.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.