Wiki Posts
Search

Biggest Luxury Hotel Disappointment?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Let's add The Grand in Stockholm to the 'small rooms' and 'scruffy rooms' list. First time I stayed there, I had walked out of the Berns in a huff after getting a room with scaffolding covering the window and a bed that was about 5.5 feet long (it was blocked at top and bottom by a wall, so stretching out was impossible). They moved me to the Grand (same owners) and gave me a room that was, I think, one of 12 sq m ones. This is about the size of the bathroom in a normal 40 sq m hotel room. And it overlooked a light well.

However, I loved the location and the public areas of the hotel so went back last year with my girlfriend and booked a 'deluxe harbour view'. This turned out to be filled with worn, scruffy furniture and was only about 20 sq m. Heaven knows what the 'standard' and 'superior' harbour view rooms were like. A swift complaint later, however, and a fully refurbished suite in the new wing, with harbour view, was mine. I heard other guests complaining to the front desk about their rooms later on, so I was not alone.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:06 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
And I'll add The Ritz in Barcelona. Although my stay is about 4 years back in time, I can still vividly remember my cramped room overlooking the back yard, stuffy both in regards to interior, climate and treatment. The concierges were of no help at all, the breakfast mediocre. No facilities to speak of, and its only positive point being a central location. Go for Claris two blocks up on the same street, or Diplomatic just around the corner8Not luxury category, though).
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:32 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
FS Houston for me. Im surprised that RC Montreal is not on this list yet.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
I haven't visited Amanjena and in no way is this a defense of the property, but it was designed by Ed Tuttle, who also designed the original Amanpuri. Amanjena was opened in 2000, perhaps around the time that Adrian Zecha was "away"(?), but I believe these resorts usually take quite a few years to bring from conception to reality.
Amanjunkie, IIRC Adrian Zecha (backed by Schroeders) returned to Amanresorts sometime around 2000/01, so Amanjena could well have been conceptualised during his absence.

As an 'Aman-junkie' myself, I cannot overemphasize my disappointment with the overall character/impression of Amanjena.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:28 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
The Plaza NYC, if you can consider it luxury. Rooms were OK. Views were great. But service was just downright rude. The hotel was so touristy that the staff just didn't care about anything (they will always get guests no matter how bad). Had afternoon tea there, and it was so "out of this world". Loud, place was packed, food was mediocore (ice cream was watery). Waiters literally crossed their arms and stood there when we wanted to order food.

For that kind of price?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by adamak
Loud, place was packed, food was mediocore (ice cream was watery). Waiters literally crossed their arms and stood there when we wanted to order food.
I couldnt agree more. The food and service at the Afternoon Tea at the Plaza is an absolute disgrace.

For the same money, walk a block a half to the RCCP or the Pierre and get a real cup of tea w/sandwiches that werent made days and days ago.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I was really disappointed by the Ritz in Paris. Small, crowded rooms. I was so disappoined that I checked out after a day and got a room at de Crillion. Now that's a nice hotel. The CEO of my company met me in Paris and I went to his room to pick him up. And I thought my room sucked!! I told him I switched and he came over to my room. He said that if he were not leaving the next morning, he would have switched too.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milehighj
Amanjunkie, IIRC Adrian Zecha (backed by Schroeders) returned to Amanresorts sometime around 2000/01, so Amanjena could well have been conceptualised during his absence.
milehighj, I'm not disagreeing with you; rather, just as interested in the question you posed as you are!

Regarding Andrian Zecha, I came across an interesting article about his residence on the Peak in Hong Kong in Architectural Digest. It had a few photos, and I thought his own place had a very nice, understated design, very similar to the Aman resorts. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the article was from 1980, and that he had been living in the space since 1975! It just struck me that he's always had this fine taste (other than the sofas, which look a little dated, everything else could pass for 2004).

You can view the article at: http://www.wayofdesign.com/ebook/adigest.htm
Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
For me it has to be my recent stay at the Park Hyatt Carmel. I don't know who imagined classifying that pile a "luxury" hotel.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 3:38 am

1) The Palace at Sun City ..... What a joke.

2) The Royal Tower At Atlantis. A Rip Off With Shocking service ( The worst ever). You probably get better service & more Respect i a UK prison.

Both the above are owned by Sun International, and I said never again in one of their over priced over rated hotels. ( However the Table Bay in Cape Town to be Fair is Very Very Good).
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:59 am
omh

Programs: LH: FTL HH: Gold LHW: LC Sixt: Gold
[QUOTE=jchand]
2) The Royal Tower At Atlantis. A Rip Off With Shocking service ( The worst ever). You probably get better service & more Respect i a UK prison.
QUOTE]

I can't agree with you, I had a wonderful time at the Royal Towers.

But often it happen that people have different feelings about a stay.
(depending of the room they received or the staff which was on duty )

But often I had bad experience with "old grand hotels". If they had a complete renovaton, it could be a great place but often they had only renovated the public areas and some suites.

But the Del Coronado San Diego is horrible.

First we had a dark tiny room with a few of the loading ramp and a bathroom
which had it's last renovation maybe arround 1970.
When I complained at the front desk, They gave another tiny unrenovated
room, but it had a balcony and view of the patio.
The hotel is crowded with tourrist and you maybe feel like a monkey
at the zoo when you lie at
the pool and the croweds are looking down to you.
The food is overprised and horrible.
The service is ok but not on the level of paying 350 Dollars per night.
And don't forget their is a Air Force base next to the hotel.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 7:26 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jchand
The Royal Tower At Atlantis. A Rip Off With Shocking service ( The worst ever). You probably get better service & more Respect i a UK prison.
I have to strongly agree. Frankly, it hadn't occurred to even include this because it is so far removed from what I would consider luxury. I attended a conference there. I was told this was their most luxurious tower and standard rooms were over $300/night. For $125/night I would have thought it was fair. Honestly, the quality of the room was similar to a middle of the road Marriott or better quality Holiday Inn. Service was non-existent. Luxury hotels don't make people wait in line more than 30 minutes for check-in. Some simple requests regarding use of hotel facilities and reservations were completely mishandled. A total disaster in my book.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For me...

The Carlton Towers in London about a year before Hyatt sold it. It was getting quite run down then, even in the public areas. I remember seeing chips of tile falling off in the swimming pool. Ugh!

The Hempel in London. What a horrible idea for a luxury hotel! It was designed by and I'm assuming for bored rich Londoners who were looking for something new no matter how ridiculous it was. 600 pounds per night for what?

I only tried the Crillon in Paris once and I didn't like it very much. It was way too snooty and I guess I was too young for that attitude. The Lancaster is far better in every respect.

As for the Grand in Stockholm, most Flyertalkers know that when you get to your crummy room, don't unpack. Go right back down to reception and complain and you will get a great room. This really is the best hotel in town in most other respects.

As for Cannes, the hotel owners have been living off reputations for over 100 years. The Martinez was tops back then and it still is. I used to like the Carlton a lot, but when I-C took over it became a convention hotel.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by stimpy
As for Cannes, the hotel owners have been living off reputations for over 100 years. The Martinez was tops back then and it still is. I used to like the Carlton a lot, but when I-C took over it became a convention hotel.
I think the new Palais De La Mediterranee in Nice is now the best option on the Cote d'Azur for a 'not totally over the top pricing' large hotel with real luxury. I haven't got round to staying yet, but most of the reviews are excellent.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 3:37 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, Marriott Platinum and several other elites...
Cool Mandarin Oriental New York

The Mandarin Oriental New York is really not worth it.

The Hotel is nice. Very nice. I don't care for it because it is on top of a mall and part of a business complex. It feels very strange to me. I have worked in many high rise towers. New and Old and they are generally bland and devoid of any real character. Although the MO is dressed up, I never forgot that I was basically in a business tower. I did not feel comfortable and cozy. Even the fitness room, spa and pool felt kind of odd and hollow.

The rooms are dressed up luxurious and the amenties are fine, but I felt like I was sleeping in an office. Sorry if people think I am nuts, I just didn't enjoy it.

I hated the small confusing entrance and I didn't care for the lobby all that much. The view is great, but nothing like other views in the area.
We did enjoy time in the lounge and the service was slow and not that friendly. They do not have afternoon tea yet either. I didn't feel like it was worth all the fuss people are making over it. But then again, I lived in NY for many years and am somewhat jaded now.

But, to top this off I would never ever stay her again, mostly because the rates are going up and up. Believe it or not, they are now charging $900+ a night for a standard MO room. That is disgusting.

My two cents is this: Stay at TRUMP International, Ritz Carlton Central Park or Four Seasons for view and luxury. For real NY charm experience stay at the St. Regis or the Penninsula. The Mandarin Oriental really is a let down. I was looking forward to it for so long. Save your extra bucks and don't stay here.

Last edited by JimStraz; Sep 29, 2004 at 3:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.