Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm quite new to this board, though I have been reading it anonymously with great interest recently having just returned from a visit to Bali and staying at the three Aman properties. Just really love everyone's comments and opinions, particularly from my fellow Aman-junkies!

Well my poll question is, in which destination would you most like to see a new Aman resort?

For me, that would be in South Africa near a game reserve such as Kruger National Park, or on its own private island in Seychelles (or would that be redundant to the Amanpulo property in the Phillippines, which I am dying to visit!). If we were really getting silly, then I would scratch Seychelles and say the Galapagos Islands!

Just to inform, despite my tag, I was an Aman virgin until two weeks ago, but after our trip, just fell in love with the whole Aman concept, culture and lifestyle. Really find it hard to imagine not staying at an Aman now while on a leisure trip, though in the case of our long-planned visit to S.A. next July, guess Singita will have to do. Also kick myself for not staying at the Amanpuri while attending a wedding there a few years ago - the villa homes were stunning. Particularly liked this one unit that had a sunken living room pavillion, if you can imagine!

Was also wondering if anyone has visited Amankora in Bhutan? Have not seen any first-hand reviews or comments and very interested to hear about the accomodations, the food and the service (or course knowing about Bhutan would be nice as well!) Seems like it would be a very different Aman experience...

Also, does anyone have any information about the upcoming Whistler and Grand Canyon properties? May have to increase our time in North America once they're open! Any other new Aman properties to look forward to?
Old Sep 22, 2004, 2:42 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Amanjunkie,

Can you tell me what room #'s have the best views at each location? Do you have any maps of each location showing where the rooms are?

We will be traveling to Bali in June, 2005 for our honeymoon and any assistance would be appreciated. Did you participate in any of the activities provided?

Alfred--
Old Sep 22, 2004, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Amanjunkie,

Can you tell me what room #'s have the best views at each location? Do you have any maps of each location showing where the rooms are?

We will be traveling to Bali in June, 2005 for our honeymoon and any assistance would be appreciated. Did you participate in any of the activities provided?

Alfred--
Hi Alfred,

Not sure if they are the "best", but we quite liked our rooms and views!

Amanusa - #22
Overlooked the golf course and could see the ocean in a distance. Mostly unobstructed view though there was one bale suite below our room, mostly hidden by trees or foliage.

Amandari - #1
This room faces directly over the river gorge with no other suites in front. Was a decent view, though some of the gorge was covered by trees, so not a panoramic view. Also, perhaps because of the location of the suite, we had no courtyard area or outdoor bale/daybed. Not sure if other valley suites had them, but it would have been nice. Rather, there were two lounge chairs provided in the terrace in front of the gorge. Still a very nice room and quite nice at night having total privacy.

Amankila - #30
This was our favorite suite of the trip. High on the hill (just below the Kilasari Suite), there was a gorgeous view of the ocean right out the front door. The daybed on the terrace was perfectly positioned to take advantage of the amazing view. Would highly recommend this suite for anyone not looking for a pool suite.

We did our share of activities, including mountain biking, whitewhater rafting, scuba diving, trekking and golf. Of course we hung out at the beaches and pools a lot, too! But what was the most memorable and romantic activity was having these great picnic breakfasts that they offer. At Amanusa, it was at sunrise in one of their beach bales. At the Amandari, it was in the private valley bale across from the main property after a lengthy morning trek. And at the Amankila, it was on their mountain bale overlooking the property and the sea before our bike ride. And especially wonderful and special is the private dinner for 2 on the beach at Amankila where they reserve the entire beach and beach club/pool for you for the entire night. After the lovely BBQ dinner, you can rest in one of the beach bales or go swimming in the club pool, and they will leave you completely alone, only coming out after you ring for them. Just splendid!
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:58 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
How lucky you are to snag such a perfect screen name! You will find lots of love on this forum - for the Amans, that is.

My husband and I have been to Hotel Bora Bora, Amankila and Amandari. You may have read some of my previous trip reports. We leave for Amanpulo in 2 months.

Our next stop after that - either (1) SA (Singita) and possibly Botswana (Jao + one other) OR (2) the Aman India experience. This includes Aman-i-Khas tented camp and the ***NEW*** Amanbagh in Rajhasthan. It's a tough decision. India is so much less expensive than Africa right now. If, however, there were an Aman in SA, our minds would be firmly made up!
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:29 pm
jar

Programs: UA 2M
Seems like they need something in South America. How about Aman Machu Picchu in Peru or Iguacu Falls in Brazil or Argentina?
Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi Ericka! Yes, I was surprised (and feeling a bit guilty/humble/unworthy ;0) of being able to snag such a screen name! I've read your trip report of the Amankila, which was fantastic. Very well-written and eloquent, and described the Amankila experience perfectly...so jealous that you got the Indrakila Suite, which we toured and was beautiful! How did you find the Hotel Bora Bora experience?

So lucky to be going to Amanpulo! That's our next Aman destination, after our S.A. trip. Sounds just like paradise, and I love the idea of having a personal buggy to explore the island with. Definitely let us know how the trip went when you return!

Well it's a tough choice for your trip afterwards, but you definitely can't go wrong with either! We'll be at Singita next summer just because we've always wanted to visit Africa and do the safari thing. But no doubt we hope to visit the Amans in India as well...the tents look so luxurious and romantic, and Amanbagh should be wonderful as well.

For us, we're also very interested in the Amanwana Komodo Expedition to see the Komodo dragons, and would probably combine a visit to Amanjiwo as well. But it's hard to plan so far ahead as there may be a new Aman opening up that we would like to skip to!
Old Sep 26, 2004, 3:36 am

I have a t-shirt from either the Amanusa or Amanpulo (can't remember) which has embroidered on the back" Amanjunkie".
Old Sep 26, 2004, 6:55 am

I'll look for that t-shirt in the Amanpulo gift shop!
Old Sep 26, 2004, 7:01 am

Amanjunkie - I almost forgot to answer your question about Hotel Bora Bora. We spent our honeymoon there. The property and lagoon are stunning for their natural beauty - much more rustic though than the Bali or Philippine's Amans. Service was very good - not quite as good as Bali.

The Amans didn't build this property. And it's probably getting to be time for a face lift, especially with all of the new luxury resorts coming in to Bora Bora. But it's a magical place all the same.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Ericka! It sounds lovely...have never been to Bora Bora or Tahiti for that matter, but HBB is where we would stay if we go!
Old Sep 26, 2004, 9:50 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Welcome Amanjunkie! Great screen name!

I have 6 Amanjunkie t-shirts since I have been to 11 Aman Resorts in three years. Call it a great addiction! They actually send me handwritten birthday and holiday cards!

It is great to see that there are people on this board who appreciate the utter class and unique detail that the Amans have to offer. I will hopefully make it 12 with a future trip being planned for the Amanpulo in the Winter 2005. Maybe I will get a preview from Erika

In my opinion, the next great Aman Resort should be located in the following places:

1. The Amazon Region in Brazil
2. Papagayo in Costa Rica
3. Irian Jaya in Indonesia
4. Downtown Detroit (just kidding)!
Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks plumbar! Wow, 11 resorts in 3 years, truly green with envy! It's true, there is something very unique and magical about the Aman experience. My wife and I just spent a large part of Sunday afternoon relaxing and looking at all our Aman brochures, dreaming about our next destination! We may reconsider our S.A. trip in July to an Aman instead. You're right, it's like a great addiction!
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
EXPLAT, I just realized I have a site plan of the Amankila from my stay. Are you looking at ocean or pool suites?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:03 pm

We need an Aman or two in Australia - one on the Great Barrier Reef and one on the mainland coast (perhaps in the rainforest). What a great little vacation package that would be!

From what I've heard, Hayman just doesn't cut it.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:13 am

Hayman is definitely not up to it...but Lizard Island and bederra Island on the Great Barrier Reef are amongst my favourite hotels in the world - different sort of style to an Aman but fabulous resorts nonetheless. I would retrun to both (especially Lizard) in a heartbeat, whereas I will never go back to Hayman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.