Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Boston

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Four Seasons Boston

Four Seasons Boston

My family and I haven’t been in Boston for a few years so we decided to stay somewhere special. We head some good things about the FS Boston and really liked its location.

Arrival
The hotels on the right side of Boylston with a covered driveway. We were greeted and our bags were set aside to be brought up after check-in. One thing to note was that there was no one to hold the door open for us, something I expected, but that aside we breezed though and were shown to the elevators.

Architecture
The hotels decor is very typical for the area. Its elegance is not subtle with dark marbles. Fresh flowers were placed around the lobby which made for a nice feel. My one complaint was that behind the front desk, there was a white wall that just seemed out of place, perhaps they are redoing it? All and all, the Beacon Hill style is very nice.

The Room
We were pleased that we received one of the newly renovated rooms. They are pretty spacious for Boston, ours being 375 sq. ft. The view was of Providence Street and if you angled your head to the right out the window, you could see some of the Boston skyline. There was a really nice 42 inch LG flat screen TV which made for some good channel surfing. As for the bathroom, I was never a fan of the shower and tub combination, but unfortunately most FS hotels have it. What made this one particularly annoying was the way you turned off the water. There was a lever under the hot and cold fixture that you have to tern rather hard to make the water stop flowing, it took several tries to get it to do this. No other complaints for the room, we thought it was simple but still elegant.

Concierge
They were very helpful and knew pretty much everything about the area, something you expect from a luxury hotels concierge. We tried some excellent restaurants for both dinner and lunch for which they recommended. We had our hearts set on No 9 Park for dinner one evening, but to no avail. He bent over backwards, but it was under too short notice. We only used them for restaurants, so I cant comment on anything else, but to say that their staff is excellent.

Unique Features
The FS has a courtesy car that will take you to where you need to go within two miles. We used it one evening to go to dinner and the driver was very friendly and got us there in style.

Check-out
Very smooth and quick. We reviewed our bill and we were off. We had an extremely friendly woman check us out and after asking how everything was we said that we were in town to check out colleges. She was really nice about it and said congratulations many times and that’s significant later. Our flight wasn’t until 7:55 in the evening so we came back to get our cab and the bell staff said congratulations as well, a very nice touch.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is my favorite hotel in Boston now. I haven't stayed at any of the boutique hotels, but prefer it to either Ritz-Carlton.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL PM
I'm taking my son to look at BU in June and am trying to decide between the FS and the RC since both have received such great reviews here. I prefer the FS but we can get a larger suite with breakfast for less $ at the RC and it sounds like it is in a great location for shopping. Your review is now making me question again where to stay!
Old May 4, 2006, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Jac747
I'm taking my son to look at BU in June and am trying to decide between the FS and the RC since both have received such great reviews here. I prefer the FS but we can get a larger suite with breakfast for less $ at the RC and it sounds like it is in a great location for shopping. Your review is now making me question again where to stay!
Which RC are you considering? There are two in Boston: the Ritz Carlton Boston, a venerable and old but recently renovated property overlooking the Boston Public Gardens, and the Ritz Carlton Boston Common, a new property which, notwithstanding its name, is a block off of the Boston Common.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:38 pm

I have made the res. at the "old" one after reading about the location preferences here-we have a suite with an interior view though...
Old May 4, 2006, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I have made the res. at the "old" one after reading about the location preferences here-we have a suite with an interior view though...
I haven't stayed at this RC post renovation. Many do prefer the FS -- myself included when comparing this property pre-renovation -- but I suspect you can't go wrong with either.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:54 pm

Supposedly, the suite at the RC is 880sf and the FS website advertises theirs as 625sf-I'm just hoping it's not too stuffy a hotel-am not overly fond of previous RC I have stayed at. I also considered Fifteen Beacon but there were quite a few negative comments on it and since this is a quick trip with no time for sightseeing, I want to be in a lively area with good shopping, cafes, etc.
Old May 4, 2006, 1:40 pm

I don't think XV Beacon is in the same calibre; I think you have made a nice choice if you are okay with an inside view. Some of the rooms overlooking the Common in the old R-C can be quite nice.
Old May 4, 2006, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Supposedly, the suite at the RC is 880sf and the FS website advertises theirs as 625sf-I'm just hoping it's not too stuffy a hotel-am not overly fond of previous RC I have stayed at. I also considered Fifteen Beacon but there were quite a few negative comments on it and since this is a quick trip with no time for sightseeing, I want to be in a lively area with good shopping, cafes, etc.
I've stayed in suites at all 3 RC/FSs there. The suite you are describing at RC Boston-Classic is much larger than their usual suite so double check that square footage number.

My ranking:
1.) RC Boston Common- Not even close. It's the only of the three that has seperate showers in its suites. 1 1/2 baths. Plenty of space.

2.) RC Boston (winter)- Small, only 1 bathroom. Fireplaces are great. Tied with FS in summer when fireplace is of no use.

3.) FS- It's no different than a regular room there...just larger with french doors. 1 bath. Generally bigger than the RC Boston-Classic suites. So if you have more than 2 people it moves to #2.
Old May 4, 2006, 4:18 pm

Thanks for all the details! I am going to call the RC to check on that sf-it does sound too good to be true and I've been disappointed before. I still am considering changing to the RC-BC for the more modern feel and 1 1/2 baths-just want to be able to do some shopping easily in -between college tours and have enough space for my son and myself to have some "alone" time.
Old May 4, 2006, 7:55 pm
CMV

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Thanks for all the details! I am going to call the RC to check on that sf-it does sound too good to be true and I've been disappointed before. I still am considering changing to the RC-BC for the more modern feel and 1 1/2 baths-just want to be able to do some shopping easily in -between college tours and have enough space for my son and myself to have some "alone" time.
The advantage to the RC, for you, is that it is right on Newbury Street where there is a ton of shopping. You can walk to Newbury Street from the RC-BC, but the older RC is right there.
Old May 5, 2006, 7:24 am

Jac747, I'd encouurage you to choose either the original RC or the FS if you're planning to do any shopping, or more specifically if you plan to do any walking to/from the hotel. The FS and original Ritz are both in very pleasant areas when you step outside the front door, and both are in the midst of excellent shopping. The BC Ritz is in a particularly unwelcoming area (not necessarily unsafe, but certainly unwelcoming) when you step outside the front door, and the closest interesting shopping is several blocks away -- in the direction of the other two hotels.

Considering the original RC and FS, both are very good hotels, though neither would get a World Class mention. Choosing between them, it's not a burden to stay at either one. The RC has more of a patrician, old Boston feel (some might describe it as stuffy), while the FS has a more contemporary feel. My preference is for the FS, but others find that the RC has more character and a sense of history.
Old May 5, 2006, 7:34 am

Thanks again-guess we'll stay put at the orig. RC because of location and price of suite. Sure wish the FS certificate that they sent me was still valid!
Old May 5, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
I stayed there once years ago. I still remember how impressed I was about by the dining room. There were no waiter stations in the room. Plates were carried directly out of the room. Tables were reset with dished kept in beautiful armoires in the dining room. Very elegant, and the quietest dining room service you're ever likely to find. Not a clattering dish to be heard,
Old May 9, 2006, 4:10 pm
yep

Programs: PC Plat RA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Does anyone knows a difference between the non-renovated and renovated rooms aside from the flat TV. I will be in the FS Boston in June and I am not sure if I should request a renovated room because I read something about an uninspiring decor.

yep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.