Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Mumbai (Bombay)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by TravelingStanField
I didn't understand your sarcasm, sorry. Well, I would agree... but if you have to be there, the Sea View is the way to go for sure.
City view = slum.
Sea view = slum + sea.

Your pick.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by TravelingStanField
I didn't understand your sarcasm, sorry. Well, I would agree... but if you have to be there, the Sea View is the way to go for sure.
I have stayed in a sea view suite at FS Mumbai and the sea is so far away that you need a telescope to view it. The views are all various aspects of slums, whichever suite you stay in.
Old May 13, 2010, 3:49 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
My most recent stay (last week) was at a Sea View room. Although one can readily see slums from any room at the FS, the Sea isn't that far away and easily viewable (no its not a close-up, but one does not need a telescope or binoculars by any stretch) as one may think, but its plenty nice (full disclosure: I'm of Indian origin and have been visiting India since I was a kid - used to the slum views). No its not the Mediterranean or Thailand, but hey its Mumbai. There is also a decent view of the race track in some rooms (mine had that too). The new rooftop bar is nice (though I rate Dome at the Intercontinental for more comfy seating), with views and a rich/businessy crowd but an unpretentious waitstaff.

The service was once again, great, and a nice bonus was that after checking out, one is welcome to use the pool, shower and spa facilities until 10pm the day of checkout, something I didn't know about until the day I left, which was most useful. They are still running the 2 nights, 3rd night free promotion which brings the average nightly rate down quite a bit and makes it very competitive on a price/quality basis when compared to the Oberoi (last I checked) and others. Given its location and the rates, I'll probably stay there again with no complaints, unless I can get my company to swing the Oberoi (fat chance) to check out renovated rooms.

I did get to drop by the Oberoi and the pool was a major upgrade (even had a model who was doing a bikini shoot that afternoon ) over its predecessor and with a nice view, though not as well laid out as the FS (on the plus side it seemed to lack the pigeons at the FS). The new lobby is very nice and I think the Red Piano is a nice touch, but sadly I think the lobby has a bit more of a cold/corporate feel compared to what it used to be. The coffee shop is nice but once again, I was nostalgic for its predecessor. Food is of the same high quality though (I especially reccommend the kebab platter). Didn't get to try the Michelin starred Indian restaurant since I was in shorts (no meetings that day).

On another note, I am sure the Taj will be a treat once all the work is done.
Old May 20, 2010, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Jamoldo

I did get to drop by the Oberoi and the pool was a major upgrade (even had a model who was doing a bikini shoot that afternoon ) over its predecessor and with a nice view, though not as well laid out as the FS (on the plus side it seemed to lack the pigeons at the FS). The new lobby is very nice and I think the Red Piano is a nice touch, but sadly I think the lobby has a bit more of a cold/corporate feel compared to what it used to be. The coffee shop is nice but once again, I was nostalgic for its predecessor. Food is of the same high quality though (I especially reccommend the kebab platter). Didn't get to try the Michelin starred Indian restaurant since I was in shorts (no meetings that day).

On another note, I am sure the Taj will be a treat once all the work is done.
I must admit I would like to stay at the Oberoi for my next visit to Mumbai, but for a 3 night stay the rate is double that of the FS....so will have to make do with a visit to the posh Indian restaurant I think!

Infact, they are double the rate of pretty much every other hotel in Mumbai over a 3 night stay, wonder how long that will last for...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:12 am

Have bitten the bullet & am trying the Oberoi in Mumbai next month for a few nights. Any experiences as yet?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:02 am

Can't wait to read your report!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:07 am

Oberoi Mumbai

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
Can't wait to read your report!
Well I have just got back from the Oberoi Mumbai & for me it's the best hotel in Mumbai, far better than the Taj or FS. For a city hotel, it really takes some beating anywhere in the world in fact.

Obviously it's had a total refurb & they have gone for modern luxury. I would say the rooms have a similar luxurious but modern feel to One Aldwych. I had a suite with fantastic views over the water. I had a TV in the sitting area, the bedroom & in the bathroom. The bathrooms are set back from the room, but will a glass divider, so you can enjoy the view with a bottle fo Kingfisher from the bath!!

Spa it top quality. I usually find massages a bit boring and a waste of money, but the hot stone 90 min massage I had left me feeling about as fresh and relaxed as I have all year!! The spa is open 24hrs, so you can step off a long flight & go straight to the spa, no matter what time of day.

Breakfast is served in the all day dining restaurant & offers a good selection. At lunch time, this same restaurant offers very good sushi menus.

In the evening I tried both the Indian restaurant & the Italian one. The Indian one is run by the same chef who runs the Indian restaurant in the Saint Geran Mauritius. Not quite as good as the Mauritius version (how could it be with the setting of Mauritius?!), but was still very good. The Italian one was fine, but seems a bit boring to eat Italian in India, so I didnt stay long.

Pool looked nice, but rain prevented me from trying it out.

So my advice is go there without hesitation. This is the best in Mumbai in my opinion.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
Well I have just got back from the Oberoi Mumbai & for me it's the best hotel in Mumbai, far better than the Taj or FS. For a city hotel, it really takes some beating anywhere in the world in fact.

Obviously it's had a total refurb & they have gone for modern luxury. I would say the rooms have a similar luxurious but modern feel to One Aldwych. I had a suite with fantastic views over the water. I had a TV in the sitting area, the bedroom & in the bathroom. The bathrooms are set back from the room, but will a glass divider, so you can enjoy the view with a bottle fo Kingfisher from the bath!!

Spa it top quality. I usually find massages a bit boring and a waste of money, but the hot stone 90 min massage I had left me feeling about as fresh and relaxed as I have all year!! The spa is open 24hrs, so you can step off a long flight & go straight to the spa, no matter what time of day.

Breakfast is served in the all day dining restaurant & offers a good selection. At lunch time, this same restaurant offers very good sushi menus.

In the evening I tried both the Indian restaurant & the Italian one. The Indian one is run by the same chef who runs the Indian restaurant in the Saint Geran Mauritius. Not quite as good as the Mauritius version (how could it be with the setting of Mauritius?!), but was still very good. The Italian one was fine, but seems a bit boring to eat Italian in India, so I didnt stay long.

Pool looked nice, but rain prevented me from trying it out.

So my advice is go there without hesitation. This is the best in Mumbai in my opinion.
I always did like this hotel, but last time I stayed it was looking very tired, so it is great to hear that the refurb has brought it back on top, as staff here was always superb. I have been going there since it first opened, so have fond memories of the place. Can't wait to return there. Thanks for the great report!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Thanks for the great report!
+1

I look forward to seeing the Taj fully refurbed to see what they do with it. The grandeur and history, not to mention the great neighborhood around it, Colaba Causeway and Gateway of India add a lot to the package.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:18 pm

Am off to Mumbai in Jan, any updates on the best place to stay? Currently booked at the FS, which was pretty good earlier this year.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:01 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

I stayed at the Taj Mahal Palce in February and was very impressed. The Palace Wing has been restored beautifully, the rooms are much brighter now. Great F&B, great location (you can walk around the area, unlike FS)

I'm usually not a fan of historic hotels, but the Taj Palace has just the right balance between contemporary style and colonial charm. Would definitely stay there again.

This counts for the Palace Wing only, of course - the Tower Wing is still to be avoided...
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:38 am

I agree that The Taj Palace Mumbai is by far the best now - Palace Wing of course as the tower has yet to be refurbished - this will start next year when they will reduce the number of rooms and increase the size & number of suites. Unparalleled location, great restaurants and of course there is that fabulous garden and pool.^
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I have stayed twice at the IC Marine Drive. While the location from the airport certainly isnt ideal and it is located on a busy street, I find the hotel very luxurious.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by DLATL777
I have stayed twice at the IC Marine Drive. While the location from the airport certainly isnt ideal and it is located on a busy street, I find the hotel very luxurious.
What?!?!?

No way, this place is the worst of any Mumbai hotel I've stayed at. Others have included the Taj Palace, ITC Maratha, and Grand Hyatt.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyb
[IC Marine Drive] is the worst of any Mumbai hotel I've stayed at. Others have included the Taj Palace, ITC Maratha, and Grand Hyatt.
worst even though only 60 rooms?

eutow and stimpy were fans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.