Search

Tipping at luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2003, 12:25 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Tipping at luxury hotels

One thing I find intimidating about the prospect of staying at a luxury hotel is tipping for services that I would never even receive at a typical business class hotel. I wouldn't pay the higher price to stay there if I didn't expect to receive personal service, and I think I shouldn't pay again when I get it, but I also want to express appreciation for a job done well or something exceptional. Problem is I don't really know what's "exceptional" and what's "routine" to a concierge or maitre d' at this sort of hotel. I also know that higher room rates don't necessarily translate into higher staff wages. Any guidance?

dennis
Old Jun 29, 2003, 3:53 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
As a general rule, I only tip hotel staff in North America.

When outside North America, I wouldn't as the bill usually has a 10% service charge already added (common for places like Hong Kong, Singapore etc.)

Old Jun 29, 2003, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
You should not tip for services that you do not receive. That goes for everywhere in the world.

My feelings about tipping in the US, which does have some different standards than everywhere else, are: tip 15% on food only to waiters; tip $1 per drink to waiters/ bartenders; no other tips are customarily required. If exceptional service is provided by any service-provider, then tip accordingly, but never extravagantly. Outside of the US, tipping is non-standard.

Frugality is always appreciated as a sign an honest upbringing.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
This is a good question.. Hopefully some people will actually answer it, as I too would like to know.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 4:30 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Also, I tend not to tip in places where I know that the staff are well paid or unionized etc.

But in places like the US, restaurant workers earn only USD 2.00/hour and rely on tips to survive.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 5:08 pm
mia
Original Poster

<<should not tip for services that you do not receive>>

Agreed <g>, but what I'm trying to understand is if I'm staying at a hotel which touts exceptional service to justify exceptional prices, what should I "expect" for that price (= no tip), and what is still extraordinary (= tip)?

Example: Mrs Mia is looking for a taupe colored purse. This color seems to be out of fashion in Miami, but perhaps it is different in California <shrug>. Let's say she asks the concierge for advice on buying such, and mentions that a back injury means she cannot walk through every concourse of several malls. The concierge...

a) Hands her a list of all the stores at Fashion Island (No tip)

b) Hands her a list of the stores at Fashion Island, highlighting those which sell purses (No tip)

c) Notes request, conducts telephone survey, finds that no store at Fashion Island stocks such this year, reports same. (Probably no tip, on the theory the one pays for results rather than effort)

d) Notes request, provides a list of the stores which have taupe purses in stock OR cannot find such in stock, but puts her in contact with a shop which can make one to order (Undecided)

e) Notes request and in a few hours an assortment of taupe purses from various stores are brought to the hotel. (Tip, but no idea how much.)

dennis

Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:04 am

Ok... some more situations..

I go to the closet to get the iron and ironing board, but notice that the iron is missing, (or, I plug it in and it doesn't work properly). I call housekeeping, and they bring me a new iron. Tip?? What if it's a lesser hotel, like a Hilton or Sheraton, or even a Marriot Courtyard?? Is there a difference?

Similair scenarios... The remote to the TV doesn't work.. Tip when they deliver? A lightbulb is burned out. Tip when someone bring me a replacemnet? Or only if they install it??

To me, these are routine requests. I'm trying to think of "special" requests I might make, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head right now.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Here's one situation where a tip might be in order:

One of your party is violently ill and vomits all over the bathroom floor; you use up your allotment of towels mopping up. You contact housekeeping and someone is dispatched to pick up your soiled linens and provide you with a fresh set.
To me that kind of thing is beyond the staff's "regular" duties. Cleaning a room that has been left in pretty good shape does not merit a tip IMHO.

The iron/lightbulbs/etc. are items that the hotel has agreed to provide in good working order. It would be generous to give a dollar or so; however, that is what the person who delivers the item is receiving wages for - to resolve such situations.

I leave tipping mostly for servers/bartenders (whose lower-than-minimum wages are based upon supplemental tips), doormen and porters (who actually haul a bag, rather than just act expectant) - as well as rounding up on cab fares and haircuts (depending on perceived level of initiative).

Getting back to the thread-at-hand, I would not tip more at a "luxury" place than a regular joint.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 4:44 pm

First situation... Yeah.. That's tippable.

Second situation.. Dollar? That's not so bad. I really don't think I should *Have* to but if thats reasonable, than cool.

I'll agree with the last sitiation. Obviosuly waiters, bartenders, bell man you bring bags to room, and fetch bag from storage and get me a cab. They all get tipped. And I perosnally would tip them the same if it was a Ritz-Carlton, a Hilton, or a Sofitel.

But I'm still trying to think of the special things a luxury hotel would do that would require a special tip..
Old Jul 2, 2003, 4:24 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fastflyer:
Frugality is always appreciated as a sign an honest upbringing.</font>
Agreed, but frugality only when related to spending on yourself. Tipping is spending 'on others', even though you of course pay it yourself.

Generous tipping is an artform, and in some countries, I think its the duty of those of us that are better off. Yes, tip only for good, courteous and professional service, but also learn to catch those staff that are trying very hard (but perhaps still dont get it quite right).

I disagree completely with the concept that tipping is only customary in the USA, or that one should always only tip 'X amount' in the USA... hell no... or are we just going to tip a NYC taxi driver because 'its customary' and/or we are afraid he is going to curse us as we get off or something...?

When you go to many countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America (or any other country with low per capita GDP) where workers earn 'peanuts' a day, I think its very hard to justify not leaving a good tip (for US DollarEuro, etc. standards, if you earn in those currencies) when you receive good service.

------------------
Gaucho100K

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:56 am
DSK

I tip the bellman, drivers (of hired cars), waiters, bar, and especially concierge. Conceierge can make or break you. Got Mamma Mia tix during first month in London of a sold out show for face value!!
He had a friend who didn;t want to go again but still! Yes you bet he got a tip. Also the concierge in most hotels will help you as a go between to other areas (housekeeping, etc). This has been my experience and my 2 cents worth as I mostly travel to Europe.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:08 am
mia
Original Poster

&lt;&lt;Conceierge can make or break you&gt;&gt;

How do you decide the amount of the tip for a concierge?

dennis
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
And when do you tip the conceirge? Let's say a three night stay, do you tip each time they do something wonderful for you, or at the end of your stay?
Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DSK:
I tip the bellman, drivers (of hired cars), waiters, bar, and especially concierge. Conceierge can make or break you. Got Mamma Mia tix during first month in London of a sold out show for face value!!
He had a friend who didn;t want to go again but still! Yes you bet he got a tip.
</font>

How much of a tip?? $10? $20??
Old Jul 2, 2003, 1:14 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fastflyer:
Frugality is always appreciated as a sign an honest upbringing.</font>
I can only assume you stay at Motel 6's only,
cant be much more honest than that.

Back to the topic at hand I am always amazed that people will stay at " luxury hotels" = hundreds of dollars/night and in turn begrudge the staff a few dollars.

One should never tip more than one can afford ( but if you are at the Ritz-Carlton a couple of dollars arent going to break you right?)

Hey I am a generous person and I am not going to worry about a few dollars for staff that has helped to make my stay more enjoyable. A few dollars for the bellman when he brings the luggage up or the concierge who makes a restaurant reservation or even calls to find if a tour I want to take is available, is quite in order.

Like the Ferrari salesman said "if have to ask the price you cant afford it"
mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.