Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

is the stay defined by expectations?

Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Maybe I have impossibly high expectations. And that is why when something is purported to be great (Michelin star, wonderful service) I am almost always disappointed.

Is it possible to enjoy luxury hotels with high expectations? If you think you are paying a lot does that mean setting yourself up for disappointment? Are the people who enjoy the high-end stuff just used to spending lots of money and not thinking it is splurging?

Caveat: I don't know if I've ever stayed at a true luxury hotel, as per this forum. Many were top-end for a chain, the highest being Mandarin Oriental.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Of course expectations always define a stay. You also cant expect the same at every hotel, it depens on location, size and of course the price. Im lucky enough, that Im mostly not disappointed, even if I expect much.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:21 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by offerendum
Of course expectations always define a stay. You also cant expect the same at every hotel, it depens on location, size and of course the price. Im lucky enough, that Im mostly not disappointed, even if I expect much.
Completely agree. I went into my first two Ritz stays with extremely high expectations, thinking they were the top of the luxury hotel market. I now go in knowing all I'll get is a nicer Marriott at most RC properties.

I think it's more adjusting expectations based on previous experiences. Not all Michelin 3* restaurants are created equal nor are 5* hotels.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is it possible to enjoy luxury hotels with high expectations? If you think you are paying a lot does that mean setting yourself up for disappointment? Are the people who enjoy the high-end stuff just used to spending lots of money and not thinking it is splurging
People who feel they are splurging can sometimes have expectations that are a bit unrealistic, and might therefore be less able to just relax and enjoy their stay.

The same thing applies to "aspirational" guests of fine restaurants vs. those who are accustomed to dining at that level (esp. regulars). The former group might expect perfection before even walking in the door, and therefore come in with a bias that makes them less apt to enjoy the experience. The latter group has a more highly developed sense of what to expect, and is more likely to relax and enjoy the overall experience, focusing on the positive aspects and perhaps not thinking as much about minor problems or service issues.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with splurging on something special, but I think it helps to make sure one's expectations are realistic. Also, try to relax, enjoy, and look for the good points about the experience.

It can also be easy for people who "splurge" on top end hotel accommodation in very expensive cities to feel disappointed, because the rates are so high more because of demand than for any other reason. It's very possible to pay $1,000 a night for a rather unremarkable hotel room and not really get anything special in those cases. So, again, realistic expectations are important, as is knowing when to "splurge" and when it may not be worth it.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 16, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

I just wonder if someone who is constantly thinking about value can enjoy these things. You hear of these billionaires nitpicking on expenses, and I doubt Sam Walton would have enjoyed staying at a fancy hotel.
So maybe some people define "worth it" differently. Even if they all have the same quantity of money.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:07 am

I just wonder if someone who is constantly thinking about value can enjoy these things. You hear of these billionaires nitpicking on expenses, and I doubt Sam Walton would have enjoyed staying at a fancy hotel.
So maybe some people define "worth it" differently. Even if they all have the same quantity of money.
I often feel I am getting better value at high end hotels and resorts than I would be getting at more moderate hotels. It's hard to put a price on the experience of a great hotel stay. If that added value outweighs the cost difference, then it's absolutely worth it.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:46 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I think it is about setting the right expectations but also about your mindset. When I go away on holidays - especially to a very expensive hotel, I want to enjoy myself and I believe that the hotel that I stay in, want the same for me. However, I do not expect them to be able to read my mind in terms of knowing exactly what I need and want in order to be able to have an enjoyable stay. Therefore I make sure to communicate my wishes to them - some in advance, some upon arrival and some ad hoc during the stay. If something goes wrong, the mindset part comes into consideration. My mindset is, as said, that I want to enjoy, and I do not want to let mistakes ruin this. Therefore, if something happens, I deal with it immediately to get it out of my mind. This clears my brain for further enjoyment and also gives the hotel the chance to correct the mistakes and improve for the rest of the stay. For me this works most of the time.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

used to spending lots of money and not thinking it is splurging?
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
People who feel they are splurging can sometimes have expectations that are a bit unrealistic, and might therefore be less able to just relax and enjoy their stay.

"aspirational"
disagree but i guess it is how "splurge" is being defined.

i dont know what aspirational applies to, but it applies to basically no one in this forum. because >

I just wonder if someone who is constantly thinking about value can enjoy these things. You hear of these billionaires nitpicking on expenses, and I doubt Sam Walton would have enjoyed staying at a fancy hotel. So maybe some people define "worth it" differently. Even if they all have the same quantity of money.
you are making a lot of assumptions. different people value different things a different amount. "psychographics" and styles, not demographics. none of this has anything to do with income. most here spend (on travel, per night, etc) way above what is average for their income level. (even on rest of FlyerTalk many spend above average, regardless of whether luxury. many on FlyerTalk pay for luxury air for leisure travel, instead of luxury accommodations.)

some of us have given up a lot of nights/weeks of (expensive luxury) travel in exchange for fewer nights at even higher cost.

stereotypes frequently come up here re travel and forum members. stereotypes really do not work. in the case of travel, each stereotype originated within limited context of a certain type of "hotel" etc. but luxury "hotels" vary, and many do not resemble "hotels" in any way.

Originally Posted by Musken
I make sure to communicate my wishes to them - some in advance, some upon arrival and some ad hoc during the stay.
great point.

edit - posted today in another thread >

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We choose locations/properties that are limited in tourist #s by the number of rooms. For instance, in Botswana camps, even if all of them are fully booked you're still going to get a pretty good wilderness experience since there's only a finite # of people that can be there at one time.
Originally Posted by LM225
find properties during this time that won't feel crowded (i.e. small properties with no kids
fewer rooms has a quantifiable and calculable value in monetary terms. operating costs divided by number of rooms.

some do not care about number of rooms. some prefer larger properties, although there are small properties with equivalent facilities.

some do not care about crowds, and some prefer having a crowd in terms of the kind of atmosphere and ambiance they prefer.

others prefer fewer rooms, fewer people, whether they care about facilities and other things or not.

I am almost always disappointed.
"almost always" meaning not always - when were you not disappointed?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 17, 2017 at 11:58 am
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:12 pm

Over the years we had the opportunity to stay in many different luxury hotels. Each time we try a new one I fear that my expectations have been increasing and that I might be disappointed. So I try to leave room for surprise, and experience helps to choose wisely. It's a mindset: I don't expect perfection. And it works
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:52 pm

Expectations are everything these days in luxury hospitality -- been saying this for years.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I often feel I am getting better value at high end hotels and resorts than I would be getting at more moderate hotels. It's hard to put a price on the experience of a great hotel stay. If that added value outweighs the cost difference, then it's absolutely worth it.
This is so true. Having to live up to a perceived brand value and reputation comes very expensive for many operations... actually often times in these cases really great value.

On a different note: George V aside, it is so much easier these days to make money with a mediocre 3 star hotel than with a luxury property. It can be done, yes, and some popular hotels and resorts are great examples for it, but generally difficult.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
George V aside
FS george V lost 28,000 in 2010 (added debt / renovation ?) - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...arn-money.html

silverlink / aman losses > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post22840373

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
To answer the thread question I would have to say yes, I agree.

I have stayed at a $3,000/night accommodations and been very disappointed and I've stayed at $400/night accomodations and been absolutely blown away - as my expectations are alot less at this price point.

As you go higher up in price point it is usually - at least for me - the soft product which tends to disappoint.

Although my expectations these days are much more waned compared to when I first started staying at what I call a luxury hotel. These days I know and kind of expect some degree of mistake/lapse to occur so it's more the service recovery I look out for.

​​​​
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Musken
I think it is about setting the right expectations but also about your mindset. When I go away on holidays - especially to a very expensive hotel, I want to enjoy myself and I believe that the hotel that I stay in, want the same for me. However, I do not expect them to be able to read my mind in terms of knowing exactly what I need and want in order to be able to have an enjoyable stay. Therefore I make sure to communicate my wishes to them - some in advance, some upon arrival and some ad hoc during the stay. If something goes wrong, the mindset part comes into consideration. My mindset is, as said, that I want to enjoy, and I do not want to let mistakes ruin this. Therefore, if something happens, I deal with it immediately to get it out of my mind. This clears my brain for further enjoyment and also gives the hotel the chance to correct the mistakes and improve for the rest of the stay. For me this works most of the time.
I think that is a great attitude to have. It would bring you enjoyment anywhere, regardless of whether it is a luxury hotel or not. But I'm not as strong-minded.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
disagree but i guess it is how "splurge" is being defined.

i dont know what aspirational applies to, but it applies to basically no one in this forum. because >
I was not referring to people on this forum, and perhaps "splurge" was not the correct word. The OP used the word in his post.

I was referring to how less experienced travelers can perceive room rates and incidental charges at luxury hotels as "overpriced" and how this can impact their enjoyment of a stay. It is very common to see trip advisor reviews that say an hotel was good but "not worth it" or that F&B was "overpriced" When in fact pricing at those properties is consistent with their competitors' and not abnormally high by luxury hotel standards.

I don't really understand what the OP is getting at with this thread. He asked if it were possible to enjoy luxury hotel stays if one has high expectations. The answer is absolutely yes, and why wouldn't one have high expectations?

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 18, 2017 at 10:01 pm
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:52 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I think that is a great attitude to have. It would bring you enjoyment anywhere, regardless of whether it is a luxury hotel or not. But I'm not as strong-minded.
I am not sure I would enjoy myself everywhere , I tend to do lot of research and pick the very best hotels. I do not expect all hotels to be able to fulfill my needs.. On the other hand I do travel to "normal" hotels some times, for example when travelling with friends who not luxury hotel junkies. In these instances I do not expect much at all, but have been positively surprised a couple of times, at least when taking costs into consideration as I do not think that there is neccesarily a linear relationship between costs of accommodation and the level of enjoyment I feel. I once took two friends to a very luxury and expensive hotel (George V in Paris) and discovered that one of them was not able to enjoy this the way I do since she was thinking about costs (even though I paid) and did not like to be surrounded by so many people who wanted to offer service, she found it to be over the top. We are all different.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.