Wiki Posts
Search

Housekeeping re Luxury Hotel forum: your opinions sought

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:10 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Housekeeping re Luxury Hotel forum: your opinions sought

I'm the community director for FlyerTalk as well as an active participant in this forum. I love this forum. It's the one place I know on the internet where we can get informed advice about high end properties. I don't want to do anything that disrupts the current helpful nature of this forum by highly informed members.

This forum resides within the Travel & Dining section of FlyerTalk. The Hotel section in the Miles and Points section focused entirely on hotel chains with loyalty programs. Recently, we added an Airbnb forum and co located it with the hotel forums. Airbnb and VRBO properties do not have loyalty programs. It was suggested that the title for that section be changed to make it more encompassing. Today, I retitled it:

Hotels and Places to Stay

I moved the Hotel Deal forum and the Expert Review forum under that heading. The only forum left outside that heading that discusses hotels is this one. Forum moderators obscure2k, RichardinSF and I have talked about it. We have some concern that co locating it with the hotel forums will lead people who normally stay at moderate properties to think their choice of the higher end properties of that brand are appropriate for this forum. That would frustrate the regulars here. And yet this is obviously a forum whose primary purpose is to discuss stay experiences.

My questions for you:
  1. Should we move the Luxury Hotel forum to the Hotel section of FlyerTalk?
  2. if not, should we rename the Luxury Hotel forum to better encompass its mission of discussion of luxury travel? The description for this forum is "Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world as well as luxury train, private air charter, and luxury guide service." Is there a title that makes it evident what can be discussed within?

Carol
Community Director

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 10, 2017 at 1:52 pm Reason: Always trying to be clearer in what I write
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:53 am

Carol,

Firstly, thank you as always for your efforts and work here on FT. You and the other Mods have sometimes difficult and almost always thankless roles. So, thank you.

As to your questions:

1) Please don't.
2) I'd be amenable, perhaps, to a Luxury Travel forum, with separate sub-fora for Cruises, Private Air, Hotels (i.e. this forum), and any other options others think appropriate.

It might be nice to have a sort of "one stop shop" for those who wish to put together solely Luxury travel.

-aa
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Carol,

Firstly, thank you as always for your efforts and work here on FT. You and the other Mods have sometimes difficult and almost always thankless roles. So, thank you.

As to your questions:

1) Please don't.
2) I'd be amenable, perhaps, to a Luxury Travel forum, with separate sub-fora for Cruises, Private Air, Hotels (i.e. this forum), and any other options others think appropriate.

It might be nice to have a sort of "one stop shop" for those who wish to put together solely Luxury travel.

-aa
Could not say it any better.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We have some concern that co locating it with the hotel forums will lead people who normally stay at moderate properties to think their choice of the higher end properties of that brand are appropriate for this forum. That would frustrate the regulars here.
i think having Luxury Hotels forum listed alongside Frequent Guest Program forums would make the goal of the Luxury Hotels forum less clear. this forum is not about a program, nor a brand/chain/company, nor a destination. it transcends those things.

top luxury properties can also transcend being solely a place to stay. safari style properties are about their excursions with wildlife etc, and are not limited to africa. in bhutan, amankora will include private driver and guide. a few properties include scuba diving in rates. some interests, at least including things like heli-skiing, are catered to by a subset of luxury properties that can be selected based on that interest/activity/offering.

quite a few regulars of Luxury Hotels forum choose destination based on property. they select the property, not the destination. at the opposite end of the spectrum from Luxury Hotels, there can be similar decision making in Budget Travel.

focusing more on experience and qualitative would be another similarity between Budget Travel and Luxury Hotels, shared with DiningBuzz. very different from focus and points of comparison in hotel (and airline) forums.

moving Luxury Hotels forum would likely confuse some regular readers of / posters in Luxury Hotels forum, especially those who do not read or post in any other forum, and who are not familiar with rest of FlyerTalk. some who are not regulars, or who returned after an absence may conclude forum was removed.

making Luxury Hotels forum less visible may lead to some newcomers not noticing it, and perhaps starting threads about Luxury Hotels in other forums.

over the years i recall reading a fairly large number of posts primarily in TalkBoard forum from people who do not post in Luxury Hotels forum saying they never understood why Luxury Hotels forum is located where it is, and that they thought it should be moved. if i recall correctly, there have been practically zero posts from regulars in Luxury Hotels forum suggesting forum should be relocated. i make a note of this to provide additional context to those who only read Luxury Hotels forum, that FlyerTalk forum organization was/is a big topic, and has included mentions of Luxury Hotel forum in past.

to add to what aa213bb said, i appreciate how SanDiego1K has specifically supported Luxury Hotels forum itself, for example by raising the questions in this thread, changing the forum description twice after past threads here discussed said changes, as well as simply by posting trip reports and moving threads into this forum.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 10, 2017 at 2:16 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by KatW
+1
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i think having Luxury Hotels forum listed alongside Frequent Guest Program forums would make the goal of the Luxury Hotels forum less clear. this forum is not about a program, nor a brand/chain/company, nor a destination. it transcends those things.

top luxury properties can also transcend being solely a place to stay. safari style properties are about their excursions with wildlife etc, and are not limited to africa. in bhutan, amankora will include private driver and guide. a few properties include scuba diving in rates. some interests, at least including things like heli-skiing, are catered to by a subset of luxury properties that can be selected based on that interest/activity/offering.

quite a few regulars of Luxury Hotels forum choose destination based on property. they select the property, not the destination. at the opposite end of the spectrum from Luxury Hotels, there can be similar decision making in Budget Travel.

focusing more on experience and qualitative would be another similarity between Budget Travel and Luxury Hotels, shared with DiningBuzz. very different from focus and points of comparison in hotel (and airline) forums.

moving Luxury Hotels forum would likely confuse some regular readers of / posters in Luxury Hotels forum, especially those who do not read or post in any other forum, and who are not familiar with rest of FlyerTalk. some who are not regulars, or who returned after an absence may conclude forum was removed.

making Luxury Hotels forum less visible may lead to some newcomers not noticing it, and perhaps starting threads about Luxury Hotels in other forums.

over the years i recall reading a fairly large number of posts primarily in TalkBoard forum from people who do not post in Luxury Hotels forum saying they never understood why Luxury Hotels forum is located where it is, and that they thought it should be moved. if i recall correctly, there have been practically zero posts from regulars in Luxury Hotels forum suggesting forum should be relocated. i make a note of this to provide additional context to those who only read Luxury Hotels forum, that FlyerTalk forum organization was/is a big topic, and has included mentions of Luxury Hotel forum in past.

to add to what aa213bb said, i appreciate how SanDiego1K has specifically supported Luxury Hotels forum itself, for example by raising the questions in this thread, changing the forum description twice after past threads here discussed said changes, as well as simply by posting trip reports and moving threads into this forum.
Originally Posted by KatW
Originally Posted by ridefar
+1
Thank you !
Much appreciated ..
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:01 pm

I agree with not linking it to the other hotel forum.

aa213bb has echoed my views in an eloquent and succinct post.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:35 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Luxury hotels

I am concerned that a focus on big-box consortium hotels and sales agents for the purpose of small benefits (like a breakfast buffet) is eerily similar to loyalty programs at middle-range hotel groups, and an argument for moving it next to Starwood, Hyatt, etc.

Some members have mentioned stays at staffed villas, where stays are leagues above Aman hotel rooms. The reports of Iniala, Luacala, North, by Macmyday etc.... have shown me that chasing silly benefits is really a waste of time and inconsistent with high end luxury resorts, which already include them, and even more so with high end luxury travel.

Last edited by DSI; Jan 11, 2017 at 7:05 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Carol,

As to your questions:

1) Please don't.

-aa
I'm a relative newbie to the forum, but agree wholeheartedly.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:53 am

I agree wholeheartedly with aa213bb and Kahehitokiri's remarks.

I think that this forum is so unique on Flyertalk that co-locating it with fora centered primary around hotel brands with loyalty/marketing programs would confuse many people, and thereby create more work for moderators and possibly dilute the quality of content.

Regulars already know where this forum is, and others will continue to find it on their own, or be referred to this forum if it is the right place for them to post.

Sub fora for other aspects of high-end travel alongside this forum would be an interesting idea.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: QF CL
Another vote for aa213bb's expression of preference!

I think this forum is completely different from the other hotel/loyalty program forums - I have no interest whatsoever in those and if this forum had been located there when I joined FT I would probably never have found it.

This is a forum for travellers with an appreciation for luxury. Regulars regularly seek others' views/experiences here about many aspects of luxury travel other than just hotels. I think that should be the prevailing theme and I like the idea of a small number of sub-forums but only if there is sufficient interest in a sub-topic to justify it (not a proliferation!).

And especially, to Carol, a big thank you for your support of this forum!

Carol,

As to your questions:

1) Please don't.

-aa
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:16 pm
DSI

Accomdations

what about "accommodations" rather than hotels since that could open the forum up to ultra-luxury higher level properties, like staffed villas or private islands resorts more. I'm glad there's been more of a trend in this direction--there's only so much a hotel room can wow, and we've all witnessed the decline of aman.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:18 pm
DSI

Or properties

i really don't like how the forum has been focusing on virtuouso benefits (a buffet, no less) much like other forums focus on points....
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:16 pm

Carol,

As to your questions:

1) Please don't.

-aa
I agree completely!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schriste
Keep it the way it is. I rarely post on this forum because I do not fit the demographic of most of the community. However, I do find interesting information here. Had this been easy to find over in frequency land… I might have been more inclined to jump in and start posting.
there is not really a demographic here, more 'psychographics'/styles

a few of us choose to spend more on a very reduced amount of travel

recap re 2. >

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Sub fora for other aspects of high-end travel alongside this forum would be an interesting idea.
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
if this forum had been located there when I joined FT I would probably never have found it.

I like the idea of a small number of sub-forums but only if there is sufficient interest in a sub-topic to justify it (not a proliferation!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.