Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Housekeeping re Luxury Hotel forum: your opinions sought

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:43 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The description is great. It makes sense to just change the title to Luxury Travel.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I say "it's just fine as it is."
I agree, isn't there already a forum for private planes? Keeping this for mostly luxury hotels/cruises/villas would be my vote.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Member

Forum title as "Luxury Travel" gets my vote.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My only comment on this topic at this point is that it seems to me to be a bit ambiguous where the true luxury chains with frequent guest programs belong, given that those frequent guest programs tend not to be very interesting. I get that luxury properties that belong to chains with programs are discussed in those fora (RC, StR, PH, and Waldorf Astoria in Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, and Hilton respectively as possible examples of luxury brands within major hotel chains, Kimpton in other programs, individual hotels such as some of the LC properties within Starwood, etc.) but what about true luxury chains like Peninsula, Imperial's ICI, and Raffles, at least before it became more closely affiliated with Fairmount etc.? To me, it's ambiguous from the fora descriptions.

A further comment is that one should consider whether the updated Luxury Travel forum will need subfora at some point for hotels, cruises, etc.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've just added cruises to the forum description:

Discussion regarding the very best luxury properties around the world as well as luxury train, cruises, private air charter, and luxury guide service..

Is there anything more we should add to the description? Someone mentioned wanting to discuss private villa rental.
I think discussion of luxury villa rentals would be a really useful addition. "Successful" villa selection at the top end - where there is an expectation of service that is equivalent in many ways to that of a luxury hotel - is a bit more of an art than simply booking a hotel (or even villas attached to a hotel) because of the inherent variability in private villas. It is an area where the experiences of posters in this forum could be invaluable.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:59 pm

"Properties" in current description would include non hotel managed villas. There has always been some discussion of such villas on this forum from time to time. I am in favor of this as long as the villas discussed are in fact "luxury" i.e. comparable to or of a higher standard than resort managed villas.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
"Properties" in current description would include non hotel managed villas. There has always been some discussion of such villas on this forum from time to time. I am in favor of this as long as the villas discussed are in fact "luxury" i.e. comparable to or of a higher standard than resort managed villas.
I think the same.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:16 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

For the villas/apartments we've stayed at: Ani Villas Sri Lanka, Iniala, El Palauet Living, and upcoming stays at Ani Anguilla, as well as a villa in Cape Town, our stays at Aman et al seem like tiny hotel rooms with fairly cheap, generic furnishings, and a lobby to walk through. In the cases of the staffed places the service standards have been much higher and when it was not staffed it was nice to not walk through a lobby or eat a buffet breakfast.

I define luxury travel differently than a hotel room, and like more in terms of space and furnishings. If any thing, the hotel rooms could be the weak link on this forum.

It would certainly be interesting if one argued the other way around: that we could include hotel rooms if they are in fact luxury, i.e. comparable or of a higher standard than luxury villas. Then we might be left with North, Fregate, Luacala and the all the big-box chain hotels would no longer be included!

I'm personally far more interested in hearing about unique or independent properties than I am in reading about Four Seasons or Westin hotels even if there's no concierge. But I'm probably an outlier on this board as I don't need luxury places to stay at, plus I don't really know what the term means. It frequent use seems kind of 1980's to me.

Last edited by DSI; Jan 18, 2017 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would just repurpose the title of the forum: Luxury Travel
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by KatW
Forum title as "Luxury Travel" gets my vote.
Ditto....Wish I'd thought to check here before committing to the villa I've booked on Naxos this spring. Had a helluva time getting knowledgeable guidance.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think "Luxury Travel" fits the bill.

I think getting into the details of what is and isn't included (chain, non chain, hotel, villa, private rental etc) misses, to a certain extent, the usefulness of this forum. I think 'luxury' is relative, and someone may be looking for the 'least bad' option in a location and thinks others in this forum might be able to ascertain what that is if they have visited the same town / city / island etc. The property may or may not fit a standard definition of luxury, but if the best option in town is equivalent to a 4 star by NY / London / Tokyo standards, it is likely where members of this forum stayed when they were in that town, and it is useful to have their opinions on that 'luxurious' option for that location.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Amex PRG, Ritz Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Mlife Platinum
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Carol,

Firstly, thank you as always for your efforts and work here on FT. You and the other Mods have sometimes difficult and almost always thankless roles. So, thank you.

As to your questions:

1) Please don't.
2) I'd be amenable, perhaps, to a Luxury Travel forum, with separate sub-fora for Cruises, Private Air, Hotels (i.e. this forum), and any other options others think appropriate.

It might be nice to have a sort of "one stop shop" for those who wish to put together solely Luxury travel.

-aa
Exactly this; well said!

Ken
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I will prefer to keep the forum as it is now. The miles and points section caters to a different category of travelers. Over there, I find most of them obsessed with upgrades and points, or getting the best deal, rather then getting a luxury experience.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Plat AA; UA Gold; Virtuoso Advisor; Marriott Stars; Hyatt Privr; Fairmont
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Carol,

Firstly, thank you as always for your efforts and work here on FT. You and the other Mods have sometimes difficult and almost always thankless roles. So, thank you.

As to your questions:

1) Please don't.
2) I'd be amenable, perhaps, to a Luxury Travel forum, with separate sub-fora for Cruises, Private Air, Hotels (i.e. this forum), and any other options others think appropriate.

It might be nice to have a sort of "one stop shop" for those who wish to put together solely Luxury travel.

-aa
Totally agree!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.