Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

First Bali Trip - Hotel Recommendations? Amex FHR vs other? (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Bali Trip - Hotel Recommendations? Amex FHR vs other? (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
One thing I would point out about mixing Amans with non-Amans:
A few years ago, my wife and I stayed at Amanjiwo and then went to FS Sayan. We really enjoyed FS Sayan, and had a great villa and in the abstract, I am sure it is a quiet hotel. But having come from an Aman, it almost seemed like a standard Hawaiian hotel for the first few days given how many people were always arriving and leaving, all the honeymooners, etc.
Now this was August so it may have been more crowded than when you are going, and Amanjiwo may be quieter than the other Amans, but just something to think about. You may want to do a non-Aman first.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 2manyredeyes
Thanks again all for the insights and recommendations.
Is full board often negotiable at these resorts? ( haven't seen it mentioned in any advertised packages ) If so, is it something the travel adviser should attempt to organize or should I contact the GM directly with a cash offer? Just trying to understand the ins and outs of the Aman hotels as each experience seems highly tailored to each individuals tastes.

Thanks All
Best email Mark S at Nusa & mention that I suggested
He knows my " handle "
No need for any cash offers !!
This is Aman , not your run of the mill 5 :-: s

Breakfast & dinner should suffice for meals , plus lunch will " eat " into excursions time . Usually too stuffed from breakfast to think of food till tea time . When there are complimentary kuih & cookies , etcetera on offer .. Yummy

Just note that it maybe difficult to stay at non Amans after , will have to temper expectations when you do ..
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by 0bsidian
I am not sure that sure, at least not on room rate (but food price was comparable, from memory).
Let's analyse two scenarios, using January as benchmark:

Scenario 1:

2 nights at Amanusa, 3 nights at Amankila, 3 nights at Amandari
Rates used: Undiscovered Indonesia
Total cost: $4,840 (605$ per night)

Scenario 2:

2 nights at Amanusa, 3 nights at Amankila, 3 nights at Four Seasons Sayan in Ubud
Rates used: Undiscovered Indonesia for Aman, third night free for FS Sayan
Total cost: $4,477 (605$ per night at Aman, 484$ per night at FS)

Conclusion: total room rate is lower when replacing Amandari with FS Sayan.
That may be, but Amandari is the better resort, so what of it?

Also, entry level accommodation at FS Sayan, while nice, is not comparable to any of the suites at Amandari. You would have to go up to a villa at FS Sayan to make an even comparison, which would be more expensive.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I recentyl stayed at the Ritz Carlton Mandapa and really like it. The resort has very good facilities and service is near impeccable.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:18 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by 2manyredeyes
Thanks again all for the insights and recommendations.
Is full board often negotiable at these resorts? ( haven't seen it mentioned in any advertised packages ) If so, is it something the travel adviser should attempt to organize or should I contact the GM directly with a cash offer? Just trying to understand the ins and outs of the Aman hotels as each experience seems highly tailored to each individuals tastes.

Thanks All
Some hotels will have full-board options, they aren't necessarily advertised. An agent should be able to help with that.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
That may be, but Amandari is the better resort, so what of it?
[...]

If you read my posts, you will find the answers to your questions.
Pasting below for your reference.

Just to be clear: I am not trying to convince OP to stay at FS. I just wanted to respectfully point out that it's not actually true that Aman is cheaper than FS as indicated above.

I personally loved the Bali Amans (I just think there are better options in Ubud).

Last edited by 0bsidian; Nov 11, 2016 at 5:29 am
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
If you read my posts, you will find the answers to your questions.
Pasting below for your reference.
No complimentary airport transfers or inter-resort transfers at FS, no complimentary VIP arrival and departure (now Aman Bali has started charging too unfortunately...), no complimentary afternoon teas etc.

I recall food prices at FS being higher than at Aman, enough to swing it accounting for the above as well.

I calculated my stay when I did 3 nights at Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay vs 3 nights at Amankila. There wasn't much in it, but Aman was marginally cheaper accounting for everything we did/consumed/ate etc.

Perhaps if you add in 3 nights at Sayan vs Amanusa/Amandari it works out in FS's favour, especially if they're running 3rd/4th night free offers.

With time, I've grown fonder of Amandari and now consider it to be severly underrated, but I do think depending on what you're looking for, there are better options in Ubud so you're probably right on that; particularly if hard product is a key concern.

Having said that, doing the entire trip with Amans is part of the charm in how seamlessly they execute it.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:01 am

Even if it is more expensive, I would choose Amandari any day over FS. It's a beautifully designed classic Bali resort by Peter Muller.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:29 am

Even if it is more expensive, I would choose Amandari any day over FS. It's a beautifully designed classic Bali resort by Peter Muller.
I agree. My only problem with it these days is the food, but then you can always go up the road and dine at GLOW at COMO Shamhala - still the best food in Ubud.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I agree. My only problem with it these days is the food, but then you can always go up the road and dine at GLOW at COMO Shamhala - still the best food in Ubud.

I wouldn't choose Amandari over FS at gunpoint, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

Has anyone stayed at Mandapa? Especially curious about service, since hard product looks gorgeous.

Last edited by 0bsidian; Nov 14, 2016 at 8:18 am
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DPS airport has restarted VIP service again?

chedi club ubud remains at lower starting rate

0bsidian, some dates FS is more than aman
unless aman goes dynamic, this remains true
even aman tokyo is only semi dynamic rates
recent comparison i did in another thread >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
looking at OP's timeframe >

448 chedi

501 RC
567 the mulia
579 RC reserve
666 legian / como shambhala
720 mulia villas
726 aman
817 FS jimbaran
847 FS sayan
903 st regis / bvlgari
914 alila villas soori (639 flex 30% off) [no longer alila]
968 alila villas uluwatu
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:35 pm

When did DPS take away the VIP service?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Now that Visa on Arrival is not required for most countries I don't think VIP service is necessary any more. We were through the airport in about 5 minutes flat.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VIP was not available at DPS for several years, was discussed here

buying VIP is like buying insurance, some of us dont like queues, and arent in row 1 F
(i was told on FT no problem at GVA, i waited a while (i flew Y) wished i'd done VVIP)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 15, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:42 pm

Bali suggestions?

Plan to be in Bali in August and looking for hotel suggestions.
Only 2 real criteria: good food and beach, beach , beach
Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.