Search

Maldives- How does Six Senses Laamu compare with OORR and FSLG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
Maldives- How does Six Senses Laamu compare with OORR and FSLG

Hi,

I know Maldives has been talked to death here, but I have a very specific question for those Maldives experts .

After all the coral bleaching reports and advice from travellers here I am looking for a hotel that is up to the CB, FSLG and OORR standards, preferably a bigger island with great kids clubs and variety of restaurants. I need to keep my wife and toddler happy while I am diving.

I looked into Jumeirah but it is way too small. St. Regis also seems small and I am cautious of hotels in their first year.

So I have narrowed it down to Six Senses Laamu and possibly Per Aquum Niyama.

Can I honestly get the same high standards and comfort I would find in the top 3-4 hotels listed above at Six Senses and Per Aquum, if thats not the case I would have to deal with mediocre diving and go to FSLG and OORR combination.

Last edited by tcmb99; Oct 24, 2016 at 10:12 am
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:32 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
SS Laamu has (had last time I was there) serious issues with beach erosion. In addition t that, it's simply not as 'secluded' as you would imagine it to be being so far away from Male.

Having said that, you get the typical Six Senses experience there; personally thought it was a marginally better resort than Six Senses Yao Noi near Phuket, and while the food on the whole was okay, the tuna sashimi we had was superb.

Regarding 'mediocre' diving, I think that only applies if you are looking for a house reef; surely the Four Seasons Explorer can take you places?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:15 am

If it were me I would just go to OORR and put up with the slightly worse diving. You'll enjoy your trip much more (bleached or no bleached coral) if your family are happy too. OORR is a huge island with lots and lots to do. It also has probably the best kids club in the Maldives and, for your wife, one of the best beach clubs and spas. When you're all back together in the evening the dining is fantastic with great choice and really sensational food. Finally, the beach villas at OORR are a great place to be. We took one with a pool and it was excellent. I really don't have a single bad thing to say about OORR - especially as Jean-Luc Naret is now at the helm.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: Mabuhay Miles, Skypass, Eva Air, KrisFlyer
Cocoa Island has an excellent house reef
not sure about the kids club
I think the recommendation for kids is the Shangri-la or Four Seasons

If you are considering Laamu, why not Gili Lankanfushi, though more for couples
There's also Soneva Fushi which I believe has a kids club. Cant go wrong with Soneva
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:50 pm

??? 6S doesnt compare to those two.
Check out Maalifushi if you need a bigger resort.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:23 pm

Totally different, but the important thing is choosing what is right for you. Six Senses and OORR are practically polar opposites.

This is DavidO's review thread covering Six Senses and OO RR, among others: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-maldives.html. Much of his review of FS KH also applies to its sister resort, FS LG.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 25, 2016 at 2:19 am
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:44 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Once my clients go to CB they then only stays at CB when they return to Maldives.

However, I can echo the good reviews for kids club at the FS LG. Know families that travel extensively to the Maldives and swears by FS LG when the kids are tagging along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.