Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boracay (Philippines) Hotels: Shangri-La vs. Discovery Shores

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Boracay (Philippines) Hotels: Shangri-La vs. Discovery Shores

Hi guys--hoping to go for about a week in June. Has any one been to these two hotels and have any thoughts?

Shangri-La:

Pros: Amex FHR benefits, more secluded, rooms look nicer, private beach
Cons: Away from downtown/nightlife, more expensive

Discovery Shores:

Pros: Somewhat cheaper (we'd probably do a one-bedroom premier suite here with an en-suite jacuzzi on the balcony vs. a seaview room at the Shangri-La--though we hope we'd get upgraded to a suite), on the White Beach, T+L says this is one of the best hotels of the world

Cons: Might be loud/crowded/full of louts, rooms look less luxurious, not a major reputable chain (might be a pro)

Any thoughts are welcome!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
i stayed at the shangri la boracay in may 2013. i agree with all the pros and only agree about the price but it is worth every penny. you do get a free shuttle service that runs every 30 minutes or you could just cab it for a cheap price. i preferred it over discovery shores due to the fact that it was away from the noise of downtown/nightlife. if its any worth, i stayed at the discovery suites in manila and it wasnt luxurious, so the discovery shores may end up being the same thing.

there are 2 beaches at shangri la and its never crowded with ample seating while the beaches where discovery is located will be crowded and there are hawkers peddling their wares.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:38 pm

XUEC Stayed at Shangri-la in February and would recommend it over Discovery Shores. Not that I've ever stayed at DS, however, from what I can see the overall property and amenities are not really on the same level as Shangri-La. DS location is very central however I liked how Shangri-la was peacefully secluded from the madness that can be Boracay. Shangri-la had a great room, lovely balcony, great gym/spa area, nice grounds, great pool, breakfast buffet was fairly substantial. We ate one dinner at the hotel and did regret it. Take the free shuttle or cheap cab into town and go out, check out the wet market and definitely get some prawns.
I reviewed this a bit in a trip report I posted, see here, page 3 I think: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ila-chedi.html
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:16 pm

In June Discovery Shores is not that bad. Not much traffic in the beach but still more than in Shangri-La. Shangri-La is the best property in the island. How much is the price difference?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I don't consider Boracay a luxury destination. Can't beat the beach bar at Nigi Nigi's in station 2 though!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I don't consider Boracay a luxury destination. Can't beat the beach bar at Nigi Nigi's in station 2 though!
Apologies if it's just semantics, but I find it funny to classify a destination as "not luxury".

Surely you must mean that there is a lack of luxury accommodation in Boracay, and not that Boracay in itself lacks "luxury" status?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 0bsidian
Apologies if it's just semantics, but I find it funny to classify a destination as "not luxury".

Surely you must mean that there is a lack of luxury accommodation in Boracay, and not that Boracay in itself lacks "luxury" status?
I don't think any of the hotels are truly luxury.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
I don't think any of the hotels are truly luxury.
I agree with that statement.
Out of curiosity, beyond amanpulo, are there any other luxury beach properties in the Philippines which are noteworthy?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 0bsidian
I agree with that statement.
Out of curiosity, beyond amanpulo, are there any other luxury beach properties in the Philippines which are noteworthy?
The Peninsula in Manila is probably the shabbiest in the chain, but it has it's own charm. I think some new luxury hotels have gone up recently in Manila as well. Outside of the Aman, I don't know, I generally like to stay in backpacker/flashpacker style places when I'm in the Philippines.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:57 am

The Peninsula in Manila is probably the shabbiest in the chain, but it has it's own charm. I think some new luxury hotels have gone up recently in Manila as well. Outside of the Aman, I don't know, I generally like to stay in backpacker/flashpacker style places when I'm in the Philippines.
Having stayed at The Fairmont Makati, Raffles Makati, Shangri-La Makati and The Peninsula Manila, I would always return to the Pen, even if it is the oldest hotel in the bunch. Great service and food and a really warm vibe - totally of the place. Classic Peninsula lobby, too.

Raffles Makati has some great suites - easily the best in Manila, but service can be a bit amateurish. Fairmont, which is actully joined at the hip to Raffles, has very good service, but is essentially a business hotel. Shangri-La Makati was good 20 years ago, but has not really kept up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.