special offers on villas & regular suites
anyone here toured / visited / heard ?

some hotels have awards/certificates
a regular here was positive re the W

villa and top suites at legian also get club benefits/access

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:32 am
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Stayed at the Fairmont for two nights two years ago, Kage. Was very sterile feeling. Really liked being able to walk into Sanur (very enjoyable little town), but the hotel itself was very uninspired. I suppose this is to be expected.

That said, we didn't stay in a villa - just a regular suite. Rooms themselves very nice and well-appointed, but it felt like we could have been in Hawaii (which is the case with most mega-chain hotels in Bali, as we all know).
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by rollingdeep
We stayed at the Samaya Villas in Ubud and Seminyal - really really enjoyed them. Staff were great, food was great. And probably one price point down on most of the ones mentioned if you need it.

We had dinner at Samaya in Ubud - fantastic setting, wonderful food and great service.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
We had dinner at Samaya in Ubud - fantastic setting, wonderful food and great service.
I also enjoyed my stay at the Samaya Ubud. No, it's not an Aman, but the accommodations themselves were very impressive, and the food was better than at Chedi Club. My fiancé actually preferred the room at Samaya to our room at Chedi, but I disagree with her there.

I will add that the manager was VERY pushy in upselling activities and excursions. We were going to extend our stay here (moved our flights back to spend more time in Bali), but couldn't deal with the manager anymore after day 4. We chose Chedi on a whim and very glad we did.

That said, other than that issue, we had a great time at Samaya. Be forewarned that golf cart transfers are required to get around the property. We had a room nearby Swept Away (the restaurant) which was nice to be able to walk home from dinner. Buggies were required to get to the breakfast restaurant, and of course to leave the property. No big deal, but worth mentioning.

I do have pictures of Samaya somewhere if that would be helpful.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:00 pm

Another option for the beach part of your holiday might be Villa BatuJimbar - http://www.villabatujimbar.com/m/about-the-villa.html previously owned by Adrian Zecha and designed by Ed Tuttle - looks lovely.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:32 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Re: Oberoi - it has a special place as probably the very first luxury property in Bali, but you do really sense its age (despite the pretty good upkeep/maintenance) when you're there; and I don't mean that in an Aman kind of "timeless" way.

Agree on Samaya - it's a good property for a price point level below. Also seen it at crazy prices occassionally, skip it for that. There are a few properties in that prince range; Karma Kandara, Karma Jimbaran etc.

I briefly mentioned Kayumanis here during my Amanusa trip. They have about 4 properties on the island; service and food are both fantastic (if limited on the food part); very private (walled-in though, no view) villas with pool. It's just Bali done right without paying a ton of money. Has a few downsides, but at ~USD 250/night, it's great value. Komaneka (all currently in Ubud) also similar.

Consider Semara Luxury Villas too in Uluwatu; they're affiliated with Finn's Beach Club (isn't everyone these days?). Lovely villas though.

Didn't the Fairmont actually open as a Regent or something? I do really like Sanur though.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Another option for the beach part of your holiday might be Villa BatuJimbar - http://www.villabatujimbar.com/m/about-the-villa.html previously owned by Adrian Zecha and designed by Ed Tuttle - looks lovely.
I can see the Ed Tuttle influences, and the direct beach access is great, but for that price range I reckon you can do much better in Bali for private/independently owned villas.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I can see the Ed Tuttle influences, and the direct beach access is great, but for that price range I reckon you can do much better in Bali for private/independently owned villas.
It would be a great option for a family group or friends travelling together as the Villa has 4 bedrooms in addition to the living areas, 20 metre swimming pool and tennis court so would be amazing value for 6 or 8 people.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The Oberoi Lombok is a possibility.
I stayed there a few years ago and would not recommend
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:41 am

It would be a great option for a family group or friends travelling together as the Villa has 4 bedrooms in addition to the living areas, 20 metre swimming pool and tennis court so would be amazing value for 6 or 8 people.
I agree - it is a nice villa - but the same could be said of every other private villa in Bali, many in stunning locations/with gorgeous sea views, and probably for a much better price. Fail to see what really distinguishes this one other than the Tuttle/Zecha connection.

By the way, this wasn't designed by Ed Tuttle, merely refurbished when Zecha had it. It was designed by Geoffrey Bawa.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:37 pm

Got an email from Alila that the nightclub construction may harm my stay. I can cancel adn book something else - they offered to stay at the other Alila but not a great area. Any recommendations?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by surftb15
Got an email from Alila that the nightclub construction may harm my stay. I can cancel adn book something else - they offered to stay at the other Alila but not a great area. Any recommendations?
I'm assuming you're referring to Uluwatu (email from)?

I like Alila Soori a lot more than Alila Uluwatu. It's a lovely (albeit secluded) area.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I'm assuming you're referring to Uluwatu (email from)?

I like Alila Soori a lot more than Alila Uluwatu. It's a lovely (albeit secluded) area.

Yea, Im thinking that's the way to go. Although Im at Jumeirah Dhavenefushi now and its my favorite resort thus far in Maldives. Just may stay here if they agree to refund, as i paid 20% off.

The GM said the construction is 1k away and would only be a nuisance during certain times of the day. Certainly doesn't help.

Ill ask about refund and if not, head to Soori. Why would Alila ruin such a good place like Uluwatu?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

was always big on events, dont recall when first started discussing uluwatu expansions, but alila also sold company in 2014
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
was always big on events, dont recall when first started discussing uluwatu expansions, but alila also sold company in 2014
crazy.

Events? Well Uluwatu will now attract the Vegas type.

Sad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.