Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to stay in Maldives?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Best place to stay in Maldives?

We're looking to go to the Maldives later this year. I'm looking for a really amazing hotel where we can stay in a water villa. Outstanding food, and an all inclusive option is a plus.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:28 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Velaa Private Island.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:42 am

Depends what you want to do!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:10 am

Many Maldives threads here. By the time you're finished you can literally board your plane.

Cheval Blanc, O&O and either of the two FS are well regarded here. I'm personally interested in the property Olivia Richli is opening there soon, if it can live up to the other resorts.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Six Senses Laamu. I hae some clients that have been all over the world and they said it was hands down the best resort ever, anywhere.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Travel K
Six Senses Laamu. I hae some clients that have been all over the world and they said it was hands down the best resort ever, anywhere.
Well, clearly the clients haven't been anywhere good then. I've been to six senses laamu and it's not even close to the best.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:17 pm

I liked Six Senses Laamu, but the rustic style won't be for everybody. It was a tad overbuilt for my taste, and the beach isn't among the best in the Maldives (facing local islands on one side and water villas on the other). That said, the lagoon was probably the most beautiful out of all the islands I have visited so far (a shame so many water villas were built on it) and the house reef was also excellent for snorkeling. I would consider Six Senses mid-range among the luxury resorts in the Maldives- there are definitely much more luxurious resorts on other islands.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
I liked Six Senses Laamu, but the rustic style won't be for everybody. It was a tad overbuilt for my taste, and the beach isn't among the best in the Maldives (facing local islands on one side and water villas on the other). That said, the lagoon was probably the most beautiful out of all the islands I have visited so far (a shame so many water villas were built on it) and the house reef was also excellent for snorkeling. I would consider Six Senses mid-range among the luxury resorts in the Maldives- there are definitely much more luxurious resorts on other islands.
I agree. 6S Laamu was a bilt too "dense" for my taste. Kihavah has a good lagoon - but 76 rooms.

6S does have good surfing though.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I agree with the opinions expressed about Six Senses Laamu.

Two questions:

1. Do you want "polished elegance" or "rustic elegance." For polished elegance, I concur with Velaa, Cheval Blanc, One&Only Reethi Rah, and FS LG. For rustic elegance, I'd go with Gili Lankanfushi.

2. Why do you want to be overwater? I personally prefer beach villas. More privacy with your own little stretch of beach right out your back door.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:27 pm

I'm a fan of Huvafen Fushi, others may disagree but its the perfect combination of polished luxury with a laid back relaxed vibe. CB and other resorts look amazing but I hear they are not as relaxed (dress codes, fine dining in most of the restaurants) which for the Maldives defeats the point a bit.

I love their overwater bungalows and also their 2 bedroom Pavillon, the dining has improved and they have a beautiful house reef that's easy to access. Maybe combine Huvafen with another resort if you have time?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:03 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Travel K
Good resort; not anywhere near the best in the Maldives, nevermind the world. Agree with all the opinions expressed on it so far.

This is also reflected in their pricing - if you do go to Six Senses, definitely go for one of the villas (whether beach or overwater) with a private pool. They're a very good deal for that price, particularly if they are running some kind of Stay 7 Pay 5 offer.

Originally Posted by DavidO
I agree with the opinions expressed about Six Senses Laamu.

Two questions:

1. Do you want "polished elegance" or "rustic elegance." For polished elegance, I concur with Velaa, Cheval Blanc, One&Only Reethi Rah, and FS LG. For rustic elegance, I'd go with Gili Lankanfushi.

2. Why do you want to be overwater? I personally prefer beach villas. More privacy with your own little stretch of beach right out your back door.
I concur with both #1 and #2 - and would add Soneva Fushi to the rustic elegance part too, especially if beach villas are your thing. Also, Cheval Blanc has arguably the best beach villas around, anywhere.

I think a lot of clients do want to be overwater though - at least the very first time they go to the Maldives.

Originally Posted by kmills84
I'm a fan of Huvafen Fushi, others may disagree but its the perfect combination of polished luxury with a laid back relaxed vibe. CB and other resorts look amazing but I hear they are not as relaxed (dress codes, fine dining in most of the restaurants) which for the Maldives defeats the point a bit.

I love their overwater bungalows and also their 2 bedroom Pavillon, the dining has improved and they have a beautiful house reef that's easy to access. Maybe combine Huvafen with another resort if you have time?
I think CBR has relaxed the dress code a bit now at 1947. Doubt people are turning up in their bikinis/swimshorts, but it's not as snobbish as it used to be.

I find Huvafen to be a bit too flashy for my taste and find Niyama from PerAquum to be a bit better, but we had this discussion
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:38 pm

Really seeking info for Amilla Fushi.
Is it something close to aman?
Travelling in Nov, thinking something within Baa Atoll as I will be staying in FS LG for few nights. (As such, cheval & velaa had unwillingly been off the list.)
*Fyi, I am not a huge fan of six senses group after been to soneva kiri.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Erika_Tokyo
Really seeking info for Amilla Fushi.
Is it something close to aman?
Travelling in Nov, thinking something within Baa Atoll as I will be staying in FS LG for few nights. (As such, cheval & velaa had unwillingly been off the list.)
*Fyi, I am not a huge fan of six senses group after been to soneva kiri.
Dont' get a lead in room if you want privacy.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:52 pm

Ill actually be at the Jumeirah Dhavanefushi soon. Should be good!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP GOLD, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
LUX South Ari Atoll is what we picked, we'll be there end of Sept for 6 nights. We booked 3 nights in the Beach Pool Villa and last 3 nights in the Signature Water Pool Villa. All inclusive package. Reviews are excellent! Fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.