Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Thoughts Ubud / Bali vs. Siem Reap / Phuket end october

Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking for thoughts for a trip the last week of October. The two options are Ubud / bali and Siem reap / Phuket. We have been to bali many times including twice this year, but never to Ubud or surrounds. So thinking this time of doing one of manadapa, chedi or uma for 3 nights plus the legian. I am also considering amankila, any thoughts from anyone heading here rather than Ubud? Please bare in mind we will also be travelling with children (though well behaved). The only given in this itinerary is the Legian, we like to be in seminyak so usually stay here. Would be interested to hear if anyone has stayed at the legian after the management change though? Hopefully the service standards are the same.

For Siem reap / Phuket, we will most likely do Phum baiting and point yamu. I know everyone here is amanpuri and trisara fans, but for various reasons we really like point yamu in Phuket.

We probably prefer the Siem reap / Phuket option for this trip, but the big variable in bali's favour is the weather. Bali weather is still pretty good even though it's shoulder season, Phuket in particular, anything can happen. We were there a couple of years back in October and it rained non stop for 3 days, but have also had times with great weather. Having said that, the weather in Bali is a bit crazy this year. We were there a month ago, a time of usually guaranteed endless sun and there was lots of rain!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
So what is the question? Are you looking for a weather prediction for the end of October?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Looking for opinions based on people's experiences at to whether bali would be significantly better / safer choice, weather wise, this time of year (we have not been to bali around October time). And also opinions on the resorts I mentioned around bali, and therefore whether ubud or amankila might be better pre legian choice
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by THEJOCK
Looking for opinions based on people's experiences at to whether bali would be significantly better / safer choice, weather wise, this time of year (we have not been to bali around October time).
It's as you describe it. Bali has less rain and better weather in October plus the ocean is still fairly rough in Phuket in October.

And also opinions on the resorts I mentioned around bali, and therefore whether ubud or amankila might be better pre legian choice
If you have never done Ubud, I would do Ubud. Amankila is great but like Legian, it's a beach resort.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:21 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I love Ubud. But it might be more likely to get rain than the coastal areas. Anyone else have experience with that?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 5khours
It's as you describe it. Bali has less rain and better weather in October plus the ocean is still fairly rough in Phuket in October.

If you have never done Ubud, I would do Ubud. Amankila is great but like Legian, it's a beach resort.
Originally Posted by Ericka
I love Ubud. But it might be more likely to get rain than the coastal areas. Anyone else have experience with that?
Originally Posted by THEJOCK
Looking for opinions based on people's experiences at to whether bali would be significantly better / safer choice, weather wise, this time of year (we have not been to bali around October time). And also opinions on the resorts I mentioned around bali, and therefore whether ubud or amankila might be better pre legian choice
If you decide on Bali , you can possibly stay Amankila after Legian & do a day trip to Ubud . Ubud is really congested with hordes of ' whoever , besides backpackers .. ' . Then you get woken up by countryside / tropical creatures .
Sandra W & Kila team can suggest a day trip with perhaps dinner at Dari or Mosaic ( no children though )

We are headed to Bali in a couple of weeks , likely only Nusa , no Kila this time . Will see how it goes if swinging by Ubud at all , just the thought of the crowds .. But intend on being in Seminyak .

End October at Siem Reap & Phuket should be alright . If you are fine with heat & humidity , Siem Reap is ok . That Point Yamu pool will be fun for the whole family .

Weather patterns have changed so we shall see how Bali is next month .
We will be in Phuket end September , just remembered !
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:43 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Ubud is definitely more likely to receive rain than the coastal areas.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Mandapa is fantastic, especially for kids. You didn't say what the ages are, but Mandapa has a kids camp that is educated orientated, which is a bit unique to the area.

Ubud is fantastic. When I visited, it was May, which is dry season. It rained like crazy for about an hour or so every afternoon, then cleared. I hear October is not too bad though from friends who live there. I guess November is when it starts to get a bit more serious about the rain.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Travel K
Mandapa is fantastic, especially for kids. You didn't say what the ages are, but Mandapa has a kids camp that is educated orientated, which is a bit unique to the area.
^

I also loved Mandapa, and I think it's easily the best property in the RC portfolio right now (certainly a higher level from the other "Reserves"). It might just be my new favorite in Bali, as I've always preferred the jungle resorts in Ubud over the beach ones (not a fan of Bali beaches due to being spoiled by Seychelles, Maldives, etc).
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
^

I also loved Mandapa, and I think it's easily the best property in the RC portfolio right now (certainly a higher level from the other "Reserves"). It might just be my new favorite in Bali, as I've always preferred the jungle resorts in Ubud over the beach ones (not a fan of Bali beaches due to being spoiled by Seychelles, Maldives, etc).
I so agree with your comment on jungle over beach. Bali doesn't have the greatest beaches if you compare to the places you mentioned for sure. But the jungle properties are heavenly. Mandapa is a bit unknown, I feel. They treat Virtuoso clients really well, too.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Travel K
I so agree with your comment on jungle over beach. Bali doesn't have the greatest beaches if you compare to the places you mentioned for sure. But the jungle properties are heavenly. Mandapa is a bit unknown, I feel. They treat Virtuoso clients really well, too.
Amankila is both beach & jungle
Black sand though , but rather private .

On rare occasions no ships in sight only fishing boats .

Sometimes see Wana plane if one looks at right times
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:29 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
No ships would be incredible.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:20 pm

i'm not certain if i'll ever forgive myself for booking Amankila over Legian or some other Bali beach resort. Property is nice and service was fine, but the oil tanker views (Amankila is just up the beach from a Pertamina (state owned oil company) distribution port) really spoiled it for me. Not sure if we were the only couple there but it felt like the place was empty and that turned us off. We enjoy people watching and friendly discussions with other travelers, none of which happened.

Chedi in Ubud and then we should've hit Legian. Next time!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kila and soori are in completely undeveloped areas, unlike basically all others

phuket >
if low season (with complimentary Exclusive) could consider puri
of course surin is on same beach as puri and can be pretty cheap
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Amankila is both beach & jungle
Black sand though , but rather private .

On rare occasions no ships in sight only fishing boats .

Sometimes see Wana plane if one looks at right times
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
No ships would be incredible.
Originally Posted by benjahman
i'm not certain if i'll ever forgive myself for booking Amankila over Legian or some other Bali beach resort. Property is nice and service was fine, but the oil tanker views (Amankila is just up the beach from a Pertamina (state owned oil company) distribution port) really spoiled it for me. Not sure if we were the only couple there but it felt like the place was empty and that turned us off. We enjoy people watching and friendly discussions with other travelers, none of which happened.

Chedi in Ubud and then we should've hit Legian. Next time!
Yes , ' RARE ' occasions , no ships , ferries or tankers ..

There will have been other guests . Possibly just out trekking , having private meals scattered on property - beach , beach club , suites , etcetera

Many stay at Amans precisely not to see ( many ) others

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.