Best NON-Hotel Resort/Retreat You Ever Stayed At

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best NON-Hotel Resort/Retreat You Ever Stayed At

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KatW, was it not a good guest mix on your Belmond cruise on 4-cabin barge?
seems that barge normally charter-only, but once a year takes cabin bookings for >
An extraordinary opportunity to sample wines from the 33 Grand Crus domaines of Burgundy.
review for charter >
telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/travel/luxury-journeys/11389126/wine-cruise-burgundy.html
not only would the current generation of Drouhins join us that night on board, but we were invited for a private dinner with Christine and Philippe Drouhin-Laroze at their home in Gevrey-Chambertin the following evening – and we would help to cook it using local produce.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I meant the Aman, Alila cruises, the Belmond river barges...Aman one I'm not a diver
aman is charter only, alila sometimes books (5) cabins and does some remote, belmond is 2 to 6 cabins

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The next Amanresorts? I wonder if this new concept of staying at someone's 'home' will be the next Amanresorts. An Italian entrepreneur owns and operates Villa Treville in Positano and has just brought in ex-Aman François Richli to open a sister 'home' in Phuket
first hand review from a forum regular >

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
I really enjoyed Villa Tre Ville in Positano. Service was excellent, great food, beautiful views, the rooms quite big with great bathrooms, and the ambiance of the whole place felt like being back in the Golden Era. The estate belonged to an Italian composer, but was just recently completely refurbished. The have a complimentary house shuttle boat to transport guests between the Positano marina and the hotel.
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
I mentioned Tre Ville earlier in this thread. It's much smaller and a lot more intimate than the other high-end places. All staff members know your name and your preferences, no need for a menu as you can discuss your dinner preferences directly with the chef - I loved it and can't wait to go back.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
bernstein suite shower looks incredible: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Locati..._Campania.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post16309428 (rates no longer accurate)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 20, 2016 at 9:55 am
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:12 am
Original Member

Uncertain what is the purpose of the above. However, barging canals in France is a wonderful experience and, yes, sufficiently luxe. But it is not equivalent to ship cruising. Both of our barge trips were populated by folk we would ordinarily avoid.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The next Amanresorts? I wonder if this new concept of staying at someone's 'home' will be the next Amanresorts. An Italian entrepreneur owns and operates Villa Treville in Positano and has just brought in ex-Aman François Richli to open a sister 'home' in Phuket
apparently the italian hotelier owner (who bought from opera director Zeffirelli) sold Villa Tre Ville in 2013. seems vienna-resident stayed before the sale. that italian hotelier still owns (bought from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Nureyev estate) Li Galli islands. he has rented them as a villa, and also hosts (retreat style) artists - ( fiorucciartrust.com/works/residencies-in-li-galli/ )

sorrentopress.it/giovanni-russo-vende-la-villa-appartenuta-a-zeffirelli-ad-un-magnate-americano/
from press release from buyer >
Jun 16, 2013 ... acquisition of the Villa Tre Ville ... would form part of ... group of international boutique hotels and villas, with other locations under development in Thailand and Japan.
so there may soon be a property in japan as well

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Maybe because there isn't much info, but I wonder what the distinguishing factors are for this villa from quite a few similar villas around Phuket. It really doesn't look that appealing.
1 - "ex-Aman François Richli" known to some here. 2 - seems to have small private beach. (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...1!4d98.3380884) 3 - if they book suites in villa, that is less common. they refer to it as hotel and one photo says 6 suites in phase one. 4 - if they book suites and dining/restaurant is not public. IIRC all phuket 'villa hotels' (consisting of pool suites/villas) including those discussed here have public restaurants.

a Palazzo / residence in rome >

residenzanapoleone.com/ (2 'rooms')
residenzaruspolibonaparte.com/ (3 'rooms')

telegraph.co.uk/travel/hotels/europehotels/hotelsinitaly/hotelsinrome/3549448/Residenza-Napoleone-III-Rome-hotel-review.html
Letizia Ruspoli ... divides her time between this home ... and her manager, Beatrice, are women of impeccable taste and happy to recommend and reserve the best dinners in Rome ... Ruspolis have a long tradition of being marvellous hosts. Alexander Dumas, in his novel The Count of Montecristo, indicates the terrace of the Palazzo Ruspoli as the best location from which to watch the Roman carnival.
books.google.com/books?id=RyEEAAAAQAAJ&q=rospoli#v=snippet&q=rospol i%20palace&f=false
He therefore promised Albert that he would content himself the morrow with witnessing the Carnival from the windows of the Rospoli Palace.
residenzaruspolibonaparte.com/source/RUSPOLI_AD.pdf
Beneath Palazzo Ruspoli's walls the Roman carnival reached its frenzied peak.
mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/residenza-napoleone-iii
I return from a stroll along Via Condotti, past branches of Fendi and Ferragamo, to find a cluster of holidaymakers reading an official information panel outside the Residenza. It explains that the building dates from 1556 and that in the late 16th century it was transformed by its owner, a diplomat for the Medici family, into one of Rome’s grandest residences. It goes on to note a ceiling inspired by the Sistine Chapel, the dozen busts of Roman Emperors that line the corridors, and the staircase with 100 marble steps (‘regarded as one of the marvels of Roman civil architecture’), before regretfully telling readers that, though it sometimes hosts exhibitions, the building is not normally open to the public. At this point, I draw from my pocket a small brass key attached to a green velvet rope. As the tourists look on, I step towards the huge wooden gates that fill the building’s arched stone entrance, open the small door within a door, and go inside.
Eleven Experience (villas so far, 'hotels' coming?)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25648600
aforementioned Scarp Ridge Lodge hosts Aston Martin on Ice
(not sure if anyone / any Aston Martin owner can book stay)

Originally Posted by scented
Really interesting, your post.

It would be quite a good hotel, if general public would be able to book it.
i can't speak for others, but i personally would be fine with situations where owner wanted to speak with me before booking, reserved right to shorten/cancel stays, charged a lot, etc. presumably there are options besides operating as a hotel/B&B/etc which are regulated by local government.

some here might have an interest in properties that were for example: all-children / no-children ; no-partying / all-partying ; or oriented solely around certain activities such as snorkeling/diving, yoga/spa, surfing, sailing, golf, tennis, world class private dining, etc. or architecture/art connoisseurs. in other words to the exclusion of 'other' offerings on property, not catering to multiple interests nor businesses/groups unless a buyout.

going back to amanpuri (why it was built) for example, it may have been that the only reason they built 30/40 'rooms' was that many villa owners did not want to rent out their villas at all. so there was still revenue for operating costs. at FS hualalai, less than a third of the condo/villa owners rent (publicly, not in hotel inventory) and most rentals are condos. i think it is safe to say that both amanpuri and hualalai would still have fans/regulars here if they were residence-only without any hotel rooms. some hotels/resorts consist solely of full ownership residences in hotel inventory. FS, RC, kempinski also manage a few residence-only properties that do not have hotel/rental operations.

originally not hotels / not open to public >
Saxon hotel owner's safari reserve, including Nelson Mandela's residence
in past 11 months, Lalique converted 2 glassworks owners' villas into hotels
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...onghua-cn.html members club became public hotel
IIRC Fasano Boa Vista originally/planned only for guests of residence owners

ex-Fairmont Kenauk was 13-cabin property that began as club : kenauk.com/history/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_Montebello , http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...ello-sale.html

hotels can also become private. developer of aforementioned Yellowstone Club attempted club that would offer members (only) use of acquired resort properties, including El Tamarindo resort (once GHM) in Mexico and 15 room wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Farcheville. The Point in New York was once acquired by members of a club which intended similar. That club planned to acquire Hotel Endsleigh and 4 other hotels. Both clubs went bankrupt. Some luxury hotels became private residences. A famous/infamous buyer did that with a Long Island hotel in the 1980s. In NZ ( andrewharper.com/articles/view/new-zealand-hotel-and-resort-closures ) >
two New Zealand properties long favored by Andrew Harper members are closing. Mollies...revert to being a private residence...Grasmere Lodge...turn the property into a private home. Grasmere had been delighting Hideaway Report readers since its debut in 1995...Lodge at Paratiho Farms, near Nelson, another Harper favorite, closed in 2009 to become the residence
i recall positive comments here for at least 2 of those if not all 3

not hotels >

Veuve Clicquot has an invitation-only 'hotel' and many other companies have similar not open to public

Natirar Club had members trip to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Balleroy and possibly a trip involving stay at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_Haut-Brion

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 20, 2016 at 7:51 pm
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Versace mansion in South Beach (Miami) has apparently flipped back and forth between being a public hotel and a private club. It probably has about ten rooms. I have the impression that sometimes the pool is closed for private events.

AmEx used to have access to rooms in a few private clubs, especially back when they had a program giving guest privileges for Platinum/Centurion cardholders, but the list has diminished to almost nothing. Toward the end, I stayed in the St James's Club, London, before it became a public hotel, and was disappointed.

This reminds me of the a semi-private business hotel chain or private club with locations in NYC (Wall Street area) and elsewhere where your company or corporate sponsor (client, etc.) apparently needs a membership in order for you to stay there. Check in is automated and requires a credit card IIRC. It's not luxury but feels like some of the NYC university clubs, although the one near Wall Street has a lively bar at happy hour time and a good restaurant. Not luxury, but some good locations for business trips.

In addition to university clubs, let's not forget private clubs like the Cosmopolitan Club NYC, Cosmos Club and Army and Navy Club in Washington, etc.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 20, 2016 at 8:41 pm
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azzedine_Alaia
has / had "3 rooms" 'hotels' in milan and paris

Hotel Particulier Pourtales Paris (by Raffles Paris developer)
has very little information online, possibly contemporary art

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Versace mansion
sometimes the pool is closed for private events
Casa Casuarina is definitely an interesting example. seems announced plans for hotel, then changed plans to members only. presumably did not get desired membership sales, so over time (and economy) became more and more open to public.

2004 (halloween) - club soft opened
2005 - rooms open, guests are "temporary member"
2006 (before february) - joined LHW
robbreport.com/Home-Design/Open-House
Casa Casuarina originally contained 23 apartments that were ostensibly for rent but which Freeman often shared with his friends...When Versace acquired Casa Casuarina in 1992, he also purchased an adjoining [long closed] hotel
also in miami is casa tua, a club with 5 rooms, which has some posts here

many luxury hotels/resorts rent their pools for events, especially in florida

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 20, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:30 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Re: Villa Tre Ville in Phuket - I wonder what that beach is like; the location seems not too far from Maikhao. Maikhao is very rough, coarse sand.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
That is who we're going to be using in May '17 for an Amazon river cruise from Peru. It will be my first cruise, if that is what you could indeed call it.
I would love to join this cruise but Covid has changed a lot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.