Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Junkies

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

i believe this is another example here related to british communication style, as has come up in discussions of several british GMs. similarly, various posters here (from several countries) have very distinct communication styles.

another part of context is amanresorts historically not spending a fortune on advertising like everyone else.
You are right, Kage. The phrase Amanjunkie was always meant to be ironic. Adrian Zecha and the majority of the old team loathed the word 'luxury' as it was (and still is) so overused that it became meaningless.

AZ and team never advertised. They knew that their Amanjunkies would do it for them and introduce like-minded people to the resorts. They also did very little PR. It was always a word of mouth thing.

The Amanjunkie t-shirts were never intended to be true status symbols. Once again, they were meant to be ironic. In the early days of Amanresorts, a sense of humour was prevalent amongst many of the GMs - Anthony Lark (Australian), Guy Heywood (Australian), François Richli (British/French), Henry & Char Gray (British/Canadian).

Sometimes, people from other countries take offence at the often cynical/satirical British sense of humour (and Australian for that matter). I recall that whole episode with Amanda Hyndman and was bemused that many were offended by her comments.

I have a sneaky feeling that Amanjunkie t-shirts today ARE worn as status symbols. They were never meant to be.

To understand the Amanjunkie moniker, you have to go back to 1988 when Amanpuri opened. That Christmas/New Year, the big yachts coasted towards the beach and tenders ferried the villa 'investors' towards Amanpuri, but even the first pavilion guests felt as though they were, somehow, making history, just by being there. They knew that Amanpuri would change the face of hotel-keeping.

Lifelong friends were made that Christmas/New Year and many of the guests returned the following year, and the year after, and the year after, and now, in some cases, 28 years later. These days they would call it networking. In those days, it was just a bunch of Amanjunkies getting together at one of their favourite places.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KatW
I am wanting to stay in the best hotel/resort wherever I am going
Excatly my opinion - if I can´t decide brand is an important factor. No brand is so good that I get a junkie
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
You are right, Kage. The phrase Amanjunkie was always meant to be ironic.

AZ and team never advertised. They knew that their Amanjunkies would do it for them and introduce like-minded people to the resorts. They also did very little PR. It was always a word of mouth thing.

The Amanjunkie t-shirts were never intended to be true status symbols. Once again, they were meant to be ironic. In the early days of Amanresorts, a sense of humour was prevalent amongst many of the GMs - Anthony Lark (Australian), Guy Heywood (Australian), François Richli (British/French), Henry & Char Gray (British/Canadian).

Sometimes, people from other countries take offence at the often cynical/satirical British sense of humour (and Australian for that matter). I recall that whole episode with Amanda Hyndman and was bemused that many were offended by her comments.

1988...even the first pavilion guests felt as though they were, somehow, making history, just by being there. They knew that Amanpuri would change the face of hotel-keeping.

Lifelong friends were made that Christmas/New Year and many of the guests returned the following year, and the year after, and the year after, and now, in some cases, 28 years later. These days they would call it networking. In those days, it was just a bunch of Amanjunkies getting together at one of their favourite places.
great post as always vuittonsofstyle. i would imagine britain also had less/different historical use of "junkie" - britain never had a "war on drugs" as far as i know.

when was first Amanjunkie shirt?

it says a lot about aman that they had the shirts made, and also did not use it as publicity campaign. as aman continued opening properties, they primarily owned. (kind of like Peninsula.) seems Canyon Equity was their first partner, starting with Le Melezin.

aman avoided "paid media" and did not have PR firm in US until after DLF acquisition.

re some owners not caring about profits (chains will be less interested) >

"The family did not seek profitability, attached to a demanding lifestyle where everything was done to receive guests as friends, even if it was very expensive,"

«La famille ne cherchait pas la rentabilité, attachée ŕ un art de vivre exigeant oů tout était fait pour recevoir des clients comme des amis, męme si cela devait coűter trčs cher»
lefigaro.fr/voyages/2015/12/22/30003-20151222ARTFIG00184-chalet-du-mont-d-arbois-et-rothschild-crea-megeve8230.php

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 27, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:20 am

Amanjunkie t-shirts

I seem to remember that it was Amanpuri that had the first Amanjunkie t-shirts.

It could be that the idea came from Raymond Bickson, who at the time, was GM of The Mark - a Georg Rafael hotel. That hotel had black t-shirts for regular guests. I can't remember what the wording was - something pithy. I guess I should have kept one.

Rafael Hotels marketed Amanresorts in the early days. In fact, it was almost as if Aman was part of Rafael - not surprising as Adrian and Georg were both ex Regent International and these were their first hotel forays after leaving Regent.

The second Amanjunkie t-shirt was, I think, at Amankila - cream on cream, so very subtle. I don't recall Amandari having one in the early days. It was the sort of decision that Adrian left up to individual GMs, as with most things.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
I seem to remember that it was Amanpuri that had the first Amanjunkie t-shirts.

It could be that the idea came from Raymond Bickson, who at the time, was GM of The Mark - a Georg Rafael hotel. That hotel had black t-shirts for regular guests. I can't remember what the wording was - something pithy. I guess I should have kept one.

Rafael Hotels marketed Amanresorts in the early days. In fact, it was almost as if Aman was part of Rafael - not surprising as Adrian and Georg were both ex Regent International and these were their first hotel forays after leaving Regent.

The second Amanjunkie t-shirt was, I think, at Amankila - cream on cream, so very subtle. I don't recall Amandari having one in the early days. It was the sort of decision that Adrian left up to individual GMs, as with most things.
Oh yes , now that you mention it , that ' s how we started staying at The Mark , most recently last month . May have the T - shirt somewhere in my " antique " collection ..
Quite nice that each Aman has their stylized Amanjunkie Ts . Good that the colours / fonts vary . Pulo may be one of few that has variations in styles with polos , colours too . Kids can have theirs
Puri is the only one without their property identified & more recently having black besides original white with blank print .

( Not to worry too if the sizing is way off , sometimes XL is more like S , depending on the supplier used during your repeat stays . So be sure to check when you receive yours - Amans back then used to be in rather remote locales . Good thing we tend to return to some more frequently than others . Exchanges easier then )

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 27, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It could be that the idea came from Raymond Bickson, who at the time, was GM of The Mark - a Georg Rafael hotel. That hotel had black t-shirts for regular guests. I can't remember what the wording was - something pithy. I guess I should have kept one. Rafael Hotels marketed Amanresorts in the early days. In fact, it was almost as if Aman was part of Rafael - not surprising as Adrian and Georg were both ex Regent International and these were their first hotel forays after leaving Regent.

It was the sort of decision that Adrian left up to individual GMs, as with most things.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
that ' s how we started staying at The Mark
and Rafael (The Mark) as well as original Regent (also left decisions up to GMs) were similarly very different from regular chains, even through Regent grew to fair size before being acquired by FS.

such hotel company cross-marketing is extremely rare, if it is done at all, in a similar fashion.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 29, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:50 am

I think the first Hotel branded gift of a t shirt I remember was from the Le Touessrok when it was a O&O probably about 20 years ago. My husband had a t-shirt and I got a sarong - again hotel branded I think. I gave them away as I thought a bit naff to wear a t shirt with an hotel name on it. Before that I had sarongs (don't remember if branded or not) - one I remember from a hotel in Moorea in 1986.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:09 am

Rather than basing my decision on being a "junkie" to a chain, I just pick whichever hotel is best for a location. Having said that, I am a W hotel hater though. I try to avoid that chain at all costs
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:10 am

Yes, Kage - Rafael Hotels had a very similar approach to Amanresorts. Individual GMs had shares in the company and were very self sufficient. They all lived in the hotels, too! It was only when MO bought Rafael that the GMs moved out.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Kage - Rafael Hotels had a very similar approach to Amanresorts. Individual GMs had shares in the company and were very self sufficient. They all lived in the hotels, too! It was only when MO bought Rafael that the GMs moved out.
interesting GMs owned shares (unlike chains)
re living at hotels, was reminded of this recently >
hollywoodreporter.com/news/hotel-bel-air-denise-flanders-305515
While she hunts for a permanent L.A. residence, Flanders -- who had been with the Four Seasons hotel group for about 23 years -- is currently holed up at the hotel. "I have the opportunity to experience it firsthand. It's really about getting to know the employees and our guests. A lot of the guest recognition comes from speaking to the bellmen, the housekeepers. They have those personal relationships with our guests. They are a wealth of knowledge."
Hotel Bel Air is Dorchester, which are all owned, by individual/family

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 28, 2016 at 11:31 am
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:49 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Is it just me or has this thread turned into another Amanjunkie thread?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Is it just me or has this thread turned into another Amanjunkie thread?
It's the Luxury Forum equivalent of Godwin's Law.

As a thread on the Luxury Hotels Forum grows longer, the probability of Aman dominating the conversation approaches 1.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:27 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

If anything, as the OP, I'd hoped for the opposite entirely.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dorchester, Rafael, Regent, Mont d'Arbois, Peninsula are not aman. last 3 posts are meta discussion of how aman is discussed here. i do not recall similar meta discussion for anything else here.

KatW did specify in her posts that she was not referring solely to aman, but aman is the only company where Junkie is both official and historical, which vuittonsofstyle detailed.

i can apologize for my follow-up asking what year the first Amanjunkie T shirt was.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 30, 2016 at 8:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.