Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis junkie

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
St. Regis Bal Harbour is also a wonderful resort...one of the flagship St. Regis hotels. Great plat recognition as well.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:06 pm
Original Member

Loved the NYC Fifth Avenue St. Regis when I stayed there often 15+ years ago. Have not stayed recently.

The San Francisco St. Regis is my go-to luxury hotel in SF. Used to be the Ritz Carlton but, after their renovation, can't abide the place, just awful. We live nearby and go up to the city often for symphony, opera and theatre. However, at the St. Regis we book a Metropolitan Suite as other accommodations disappoint. Pricey but worth it for us since we stay only one or two nights.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by KatW
Loved the NYC Fifth Avenue St. Regis when I stayed there often 15+ years ago. Have not stayed recently.

The San Francisco St. Regis is my go-to luxury hotel in SF. Used to be the Ritz Carlton but, after their renovation, can't abide the place, just awful. We live nearby and go up to the city often for symphony, opera and theatre. However, at the St. Regis we book a Metropolitan Suite as other accommodations disappoint. Pricey but worth it for us since we stay only one or two nights.
I also live in SF and love the Metropolitan suite at the SF StR. Great place to spend a couple of nights.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:51 am

I love Bangkok, after the film Hangover 2.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SiaGarcia
I love Bangkok, after the film Hangover 2.
^^Good to know......^^
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
^^Good to know......^^
My favorite tourists
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by scented
My favorite tourists
Not only yours
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:30 am

Would not call myself a St Regis junkie, especially not after a few disappointing experiences at US properties. But I am a +50 nights SPG Plat so I tend to use ST Regis where available.

Negative experiences: St Regis Monarch Beach (complete dissaster, service at your local Holiday Inn express will be better but afaik this property thankfully left the SPG building). Was comped with IIRC 20k points which is a joke for a 5 nights stay, 2 rooms at over 700 USD each. St Regis Atlanta was memorable in a negative way but due to NYE and a completely ruined dinner. I must add that the hotel was fair enough to comp one of our 2 rooms so in terms of service recovery they were honest at least.

Mixed feelings: St Regis San Francisco. Not a bad stay but was not impressed. Service was not that good, especially at breakfast.

Good to great experiences:
- Singapore: nice suites, great service.
-Dubai: great stay but Grosvenor House Tower 2 is even better overall.
-New York: similar experience as Ericka.
-Abu Dhabi Saadiyat: good to great stays. Make sure to book a deluxe oceanfront suite.

I was supposed to write this reply from St Regis Mauritius but there has been a change of plans and I am at Cayo Espanto right now. Was at the Setai Miami last weekend and will be at St Regis Bal Harbour next weekend. The Setai was disappointing, especially after previous great stays. Curious if St Regis will be better. I will report back next weekend.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:02 pm

Thank you for this, Epicura, eagerly awaiting a StR Bal Harbour report. Thought about Miami for a while, this might combine well with Faena. Sadly, I am not entirely surprised about The Setai, which has been going downhill for quite some time now.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
I consider myself an SPG junkie, and stay at StR when it makes sense (on my wallet).

Here's the list of StR's I've stayed:
  • St Regis Bora Bora
  • St Regis Monarch Beach (formerly known as)
  • St Regis San Francisco
  • St Regis Houston
  • St Regis Punta Mita
  • St Regis Rome
  • St Regis Florence

Of this list StR BB is my favorite....so beautiful there! But StR Punta Mita is amazing, and luckily I get to visit StR Florence again in Aug. Yay!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by SeeingtheWorldfromIndy
I'm getting ready to take a trip around the work that will include the StR Moscow, Singapore, and Bali.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregi...language=en_US Kuala Lumpur opened not too long ago so you might as well pencil it in.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Thank you for this, Epicura, eagerly awaiting a StR Bal Harbour report. Thought about Miami for a while, this might combine well with Faena. Sadly, I am not entirely surprised about The Setai, which has been going downhill for quite some time now.
Checked in less than 24h ago but so far even less impressed with St Regis Bal Harbour than with our stay at the Setai last weekend. I will post an extensive trip report in the next days when I am back home.

In short: took over 2,5 hours to have our luggage delivered to the room, even after a reminder to the butler.

Got some chocolates and milk&cookies for the children but that's nothing more than the regular butler service. No welcome letter or amenity. Even an airport Sheraton usually sends me a fruit plate or bottle of champagne/wine, ... .

Breakfast was a zoo, had to ask for a clean plate because the plates on the buffet were still dirty, there was still a fork and leftovers from a previous breakfast left under the table and meanwhile there were at least 2 clueless members of F&B management running around in J&G restaurant doing nothing.

The main pool is also a zoo, this is very far from an upscale luxurious resort.

Our suite is very nice though. Booked a deluxe oceanfront suite and received exactly that (with the oceanfront aspect being open for discussion, staying at level 7, with a side ocean view). Being an SPG Plat that was a tad disappointing, also because from what I have read, other Plats were even upgraded to this type of suite, whilst booking the cheapest room, even on points. Not being upgraded on a +1350 USD/night suite, especially compared to upgrades for other Plats, leaves a bit of a sour taste. I inquired at check in and the agent told me our suite was one of the highest category suites and that this suite was not in the regular upgrade pool (does not seem to be the case from what I have read just now on the SPG thread) and therefore was not upgradable. Basically everything beyond a junior suite is not owned by the hotel and is privately owned and therefore falls out of the upgrade pool.

I am afraid that, apart from St Regis NYC, the USA and St Regis combo just does not work for me. Unless our stay greatly improves in the next days, this will be my final attempt to stay at a St Regis in the USA.

Should have booked the Faena instead. Their current rates are great compared to this property (and the Setai).

Last edited by Epicura; Jul 17, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by shuigao
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregi...language=en_US Kuala Lumpur opened not too long ago so you might as well pencil it in.
Shuigao,
I thought about it but elected to go to Java and stay at Amanjiwo instead. I'd prefer to let KL workout the kinks. The current reviews aren't great.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Epicura
Checked in less than 24h ago but so far even less impressed with St Regis Bal Harbour than with our stay at the Setai last weekend. I will post an extensive trip report in the next days when I am back home.

In short: took over 2,5 hours to have our luggage delivered to the room, even after a reminder to the butler.

Got some chocolates and milk&cookies for the children but that's nothing more than the regular butler service. No welcome letter or amenity. Even an airport Sheraton usually sends me a fruit plate or bottle of champagne/wine, ... .

Breakfast was a zoo, had to ask for a clean plate because the plates on the buffet were still dirty, there was still a fork and leftovers from a previous breakfast left under the table and meanwhile there were at least 2 clueless members of F&B management running around in J&G restaurant doing nothing.

The main pool is also a zoo, this is very far from an upscale luxurious resort.

Our suite is very nice though. Booked a deluxe oceanfront suite and received exactly that (with the oceanfront aspect being open for discussion, staying at level 7, with a side ocean view). Being an SPG Plat that was a tad disappointing, also because from what I have read, other Plats were even upgraded to this type of suite, whilst booking the cheapest room, even on points. Not being upgraded on a +1350 USD/night suite, especially compared to upgrades for other Plats, leaves a bit of a sour taste. I inquired at check in and the agent told me our suite was one of the highest category suites and that this suite was not in the regular upgrade pool (does not seem to be the case from what I have read just now on the SPG thread) and therefore was not upgradable. Basically everything beyond a junior suite is not owned by the hotel and is privately owned and therefore falls out of the upgrade pool.

I am afraid that, apart from St Regis NYC, the USA and St Regis combo just does not work for me. Unless our stay greatly improves in the next days, this will be my final attempt to stay at a St Regis in the USA.

Should have booked the Faena instead. Their current rates are great compared to this property (and the Setai).
Epicura, thank you for the update. Very disappointing. I think you may be on to something. My favorite experiences have been at the ex-US properties. Notes, wine, fruit plates, upgrades, etc. The StR Istanbul was over the top with the Plat recognition. 1-2 bottles of wine per night (customized to our preference for red), cheese plates, desserts, etc.
Houston didn't even leave a note.
Your experience at the Bal Harbour definitely seems worthy of a complaint...especially at $1,300/night!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Epicura, I understand your brand loyalty, but you might consider the Acqualina for a future visit. Smaller but oceanfront, and if your children are at least age 5, their marine biology focused Kids program is far superior to others.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 19, 2016 at 4:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.