Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ubud decision

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Ubud decision

My wife and I are taking a dream trip around the world for 30 days (just quit working for a start-up and need to recover from 90 hour work weeks). We are wrapping up the trip with 7 days in Bali. 5 days will be at the St. Regis in a plunge pool suite (on SPG points). For the other 2 nights, we would like something in Ubud in order to have a different experience.
I have been researching like crazy and based upon the availability during our visit (Aug 7-9), I have it narrowed down to Amandari, FS, and Mandapa. I'm Marriott gold, but not sure that will have much of an impact on treatment/upgrades at the Mandapa. I also have AMEX Platinum so hoping for an upgrade/free breakfast, etc via Amex travel site.
I've read other similar threads from 6 months ago, but wanted to ask some specific questions.
We are looking for authentic experiences and some relaxation (yoga, spa, wine at sunset, etc) before heading to StR Bali. We've never been to Bali and would love thoughts regarding these 3 properties (Chedi and Viceroy are not available during these dates). In all likelihood, the pool suites (which are our preference) are out of the price range for all 3 properties (unless we are upgraded). Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Well done & deserved !!

Amandari .

Will be in Amanusa then . Hopefully you will get an upgrade .
Can you stretch to 3 nights ? , as Amans will have specials then .
What time do you get in ?
Perhaps can swing something for you ..

We often have a meal at Dari but may not leave Nusa for Dari or Kila this time .
Decide when we get there .
Old Jul 9, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: some
Dari is great but very expensive. If you don't want to spend that much see what prices are like at Como, but rates seem to vary a lot so check Pity Chedi is not available. Even cheaper and quite nice is Uma, closer to Ubud. Viceroy felt weird to me - never stayed there (only lunch) but don't think I would.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Uma Ubud is a little gem indeed and a bargain (but you need to go for a pool suite).

With regard to Amandari: I would usually recommend the Bali amans, but in Ubud you have better options.
The FS Sayan in particular is my favorite choice in Ubud, especially if your budget can accomodate a 1 bedroom villa.

A truly magical place:

Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We had a great stay at FS Sayan. We booked through Amex FHR and got a night free, each had a free massage (FHR benefit) and got upgraded from a regular room to a one bedroom villa. I recall that the price was really great, too. This was in 2013. The included breakfast was perfect (but wait til you get to the St Regis which is OTT). You could pick from a number of options but the 'American' was a multi course affair with an amouse bouche, pastries, cereal with more delicious fruit and then the actual hot breakfast. We also arranged for a driver/guide for a day through the hotel and they did a great packed lunch for us and it was a nice day. We did one day on our own. They have a shuttle to town. We also had then transfer us to the st Regis next and the driver took us to the temple built in the water (blanking on the name) since it was between the two hotels.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:08 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Yea - I think a lot of people on this forum LOVE Amandari in particular, but for me it's not one of Ubud's best. It needs to really up it games in terms of its hardware. The software is fantastic.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
undiscovered indonesia still loaded online but now 2 night rather than 1 night
still minus $200 per night, and bali break 3 night also still minus $200 per night
could talk to nusa GM even if staying at dari
cultural excursions and relationship with adjacent village are strengths of dari, GM is new
outside of holidays, aman prices have hit new lows, and returned to lows of a few years ago

if staying at st regis first, could try walk up bookings, like at como shambhala estate if you can get a Residence to yourself, booking a room when no one else is booked into a room in that same Residence (do any bali properties have same day cancellation ?)
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:41 am

There is quite a bit of oversupply in Bali so I suggest contacting the hotels directly as well (including those that show as unavailable on-line). Also, unless you are stuck on a property, book a refundable rate and check prices again when you are in Bali.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
There are lots of local Bali tour operators that can offer much lower rate than BAR rates. Even the Amans FYI
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
There are lots of local Bali tour operators that can offer much lower rate than BAR rates. Even the Amans FYI
Interesting - can you recommend any?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Yea - I think a lot of people on this forum LOVE Amandari in particular, but for me it's not one of Ubud's best. It needs to really up it games in terms of its hardware. The software is fantastic.
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
Uma Ubud is a little gem indeed and a bargain (but you need to go for a pool suite).

With regard to Amandari . I would usually recommend the Bali Amans, but in Ubud you have better options.
The FS Sayan in particular is my favorite choice in Ubud, especially if your budget can accomodate a 1 bedroom villa.

A truly magical place:

https://youtu.be/QDTf_shOqF4
cultural excursions and relationship with adjacent village are strengths of dari, GM is new
outside of holidays, aman prices have hit new lows, and returned to lows of a few years ago

if staying at st regis first, could try walk up bookings, like at como shambhala estate if you can get a Residence to yourself, booking a room when no one else is booked into a room in that same Residence (do any bali properties have same day cancellation ?)
Originally Posted by erik123
There is quite a bit of oversupply in Bali so I suggest contacting the hotels directly as well (including those that show as unavailable on-line). Also, unless you are stuck on a property, book a refundable rate and check prices again when you are in Bali.

Well the OP states " looking for authentic experiences and some relaxation (yoga, spa, wine at sunset, etc) before heading to StR Bali . "

That ' s why I mentioned Dari - built in Balinese village style . It is as authentic as it can get . Only Indon Aman with own spa , a very good one too with yoga bales .
Am not too fond of it myself , as it is authentic .

Even as I get special rates at COMO / Uma properties along with FS - have stayed / visited a few including " Estate " , I ' d rather be at Amandari . Will not be posting why .
Plus being the first Aman in Indonesia ( second after Puri ) & originator of infinity pools

As I said , can " help " with upgrades , am not a TA - only Amanjunkie from ' 89 & will arrive in Bali , at Nusa , before OP

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 9, 2016 at 4:58 pm Reason: Add info
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:08 pm

Kage , Nusa GM is Mark S who is in charge of all Indon Amans ..
He was at a few Amans before including Kora , AmanSP , & Jiwo ..

Have you stayed at COMO ?? !
It is very lovely but we won't be returning .. even with my special rates .
Plus it ' s gone wholistic , which translates to boring food / meals .
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
Uma does not have any pool suites available during those days, unfortunately.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by SeeingtheWorldfromIndy
Uma does not have any pool suites available during those days, unfortunately.
Then I would avoid Uma - pool suite is a bit of a make or break, given that it's already not an uberluxe property (albeit lovely).
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:36 am

I'd also consider 3 nights in Ubud. 2 is a bit rushed + some hotels may offer 3 nights for 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.