Hawaii Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ridefar
I wasn't aware this was a "mine is bigger than yours contest."

I actually have stayed at it. For 10 nights. Just to deal with one of your aspersions.

I do feel I have a reasonable basis for comparison. To deal with another aspersion: my Aman experience by hotel count is similar; as is my experience with other luxury properties. Beyond that I don't really feel obliged to list them. Sorry.

On to the actual stay. In terms of hard product the room was badly dated. It was quiet. But in no way was it beautifully decorated. The public spaces were nice. But no more. No nicer than many Westin's. There were insufficient umbrellas at the beach. The food was mediocre. The hard product is truly unremarkable.

Service wise it is a disaster. I distinctly recall getting 10 different combinations of glasses for water and juice over ten mornings. The message therapist that insisted on regaling me with her Brietbart inspired political opinions. The concierges that simply refused to respond to email or phone messages. The front desk that was equally indifferent. As were the servers in the bar. And the folks down at the pool. And so on.

I know you have an abiding love for SPG and your Ambassador status. The year that I stayed there I too was Ambassador if I recall correctly. The service was still consistently inexcusably miserable. Saying you had issues elsewhere is irrelevant.

You are entitled to your opinion. However it would be nice if you accorded me that same courtesy and acknowledged that mine is equally grounded in experience.

My opinion based on a great deal of experience with the property in question and luxury properties around the world is simple that it isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Being better that it's local competition is no great achievement and in no way elevates it to a luxury property.
I don't dispute that you had a bad stay; I am disputing that your one bad stay somehow disqualifies the St Regis as a luxury hotel. You also didn't bother to mention how recent your stay was.

I mentioned how I had very poor stays at the FS Hualalai, FS Manele Bay, and the Halekulani. Yet I do not disqualify those as luxury hotels and still included them in my list.

People have had very poor experiences at most luxury hotels. That doesn't disqualify those as being luxury hotels. Yet that is your assertion.

This has nothing to do with my SPG Ambassador status--which I didn't have. My first stay at the StR Princeville I was only regular Platinum; my second stay at the StR I had only recently achieved Ambassador status, and my Ambassador hadn't even yet been assigned to me.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Exclamation A friendly message from a moderator

Some of the posts seem to be about a competition re: stays at luxury Hawaii properties. I am sure that each one of us has a unique perspective. FT strives for civil discourse. Some of the most recent posts have strayed from this goal of civil discourse and have become personal and competitive. Please understand that the Moderators of this forum have little patience for those who demean or insult others.
Keep it civil. Posts which stray off topic will be quickly deleted. Posters who insult others will find that there are consequences to their actions and words.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:29 pm

sorry to bring this back to life but me and my wife are going to hawaii the first time. This will be our babymoon, either the end of april/beginning of may and we are looking for some guidance.

I looked at the hotels in the luxury segment and I have to say I am not really getting excited... We are big fans of Aman style hotels. Montage to me, the rooms look bland nothing exciting same goes for FS Maui. FS Hualali badly needs an update on the rooms from what I've read. The Hotel Wailea is not on the beach, Honolulu is out because of all the high rises and the masses (I have that in NYC
The only decent rooms were I thought yes that's nice is the Andaz but they supposedly don't have that 5 star service. That leaves me with the FS Lanai. Looks like they recently updated their rooms and I read some good things about them. Am I missing something here?

PS: Asia for us is out due to the long flights since my wife is pregnant and so are any destinations with Zika, which is how we got to Hawaii in the first place.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Siriuscom
sorry to bring this back to life but me and my wife are going to hawaii the first time. This will be our babymoon, either the end of april/beginning of may and we are looking for some guidance.

I looked at the hotels in the luxury segment and I have to say I am not really getting excited... We are big fans of Aman style hotels. Montage to me, the rooms look bland nothing exciting same goes for FS Maui. FS Hualali badly needs an update on the rooms from what I've read. The Hotel Wailea is not on the beach, Honolulu is out because of all the high rises and the masses (I have that in NYC
The only decent rooms were I thought yes that's nice is the Andaz but they supposedly don't have that 5 star service. That leaves me with the FS Lanai. Looks like they recently updated their rooms and I read some good things about them. Am I missing something here?

PS: Asia for us is out due to the long flights since my wife is pregnant and so are any destinations with Zika, which is how we got to Hawaii in the first place.
I am a huge supporter of FS properties almost anywhere, but I usually caution people about their Hawaii ventures. FS Lanai is decidedly better, but all of the Hawaiian properties are frequented by patrons who are seeing their stay as a trophy and the resorts have adapted to that -- meaning they are after every penny they can possibly get and if you are not staying in one of the big suites where a dedicated manager is in place to fix the many service problems, then you're likely to be frustrated. The Andaz is certainly not the Four Seasons, but considering the price point, it isn't that much worse. The hard product is ahead of FS Maui.

There were reports and links to articles on the war surrounding FS' residences somewhere here, and I believe this problem is symptomatic for FS in Hawaii. In a way, being the - or one of the best hotel groups worldwide - became a problem for them there.

Go to Andaz, save some money and invest it in a really nice suite in Europe or Asia on a future FS trip.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:28 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Andaz suites price similar to lead-in rooms for FS. I would certain put that at the top of my list, if you are fine with being at a bigger resort
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Andaz is a dump, relatively speaking. I wouldn't even place it in the top 5 of Wailea properties, let alone Maui, or the range of Hawaiian islands overall.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:15 pm
Original Member

Honestly? There are no truly luxury hotels in Hawaii. Although, truth in mouthing off, we've not been to Kaui. The islands have been spoiled by success. Most resorts/hotels are in suburbs, towns or in Honolulu. Some hotels are much too large. Most hotels/resorts are close to maximum occupancy most of the time. It may be the islands but it's still the U.S. And expensive for what you get.

For many in the U.S. Hawaii is exotic, romantic and honeymoon hoohoo, also family haven. For those holding that view, disappointment likely won't impinge so I guess it works. But, if you are a sophisticated traveler, Hawaii likely will disappoint.

For the sort of romance some project on Hawaii, I'd point to Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo, Mexico; or the plush resorts south of Cancun on the Mexican Riviera. Or the resorts at Punta Mita just north of Puerto Vallarta. Or, south of PV, Las Alamandas which ties with Casa Que Canta as most romantic.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Especially if traveling from the east coast to Hawaii -- 11+ hours flying time plus layover and connection in LA or San Francisco.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Andaz is a dump, relatively speaking. I wouldn't even place it in the top 5 of Wailea properties, let alone Maui, or the range of Hawaiian islands overall.
I would not characterize Andaz as a "dump" but it was disappointing on many levels. It is not a luxury hotel. Definitely not.
Check the Hyatt Forum for reviews.
We have been to Hawaii more times than we can remember and owned a home on Maui.
We used Hyatt rewards for Andaz and our room(not going to get in to the drama of Plat v. Diamond,etc). Our room was an extension of the busy pool bar. There was no view as we had to keep the blackout curtains drawn at all times for privacy. Seriously, if we could have jumped over the small rail on our "balcony" we would have landed in the bar.
On the plus side, the infinity pools were lovely as was the service. Nice having lunch served at our chaise.
Food at the hotel was good.
Would I return to the Andaz again for free? No way. Andaz is not Hawaii, or not the Hawaii I know and love.
When I want Hawaii, I go to the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Most beautiful beach I have seen in Hawaii is at Mauna Kea. No chance of getting stuck in a dark room by the bar. The best rooms at MKB are the Deluxe Ocean View. Top floors of original building. Spectacular views and space.

Last edited by obscure2k; Mar 12, 2017 at 11:09 pm
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Pref Partnership:FS, RC, MO, Belmond, PEN, Rosewood, Dorchester, Jumeirah, ShangriLa &more
I personally love the FS Maui. For those who haven't been recently, they completed a full reno of their rooms last year and I think they did a great job. The rooms feel fresh and have that more modern Hawaiian style similar to what a lot of their competition is doing. I also find the service to be excellent.

I agree that the Andaz is not on the level of the FS, but a lot of people love it. I'm not sure it would be what you are looking for though.

For a babymoon, I might suggest the FS Hualalai. That property has very devoted fans and an extremely high return rate. People love it for it's feel/vibe... sort of an x factor. It's got a laid-back Hawaiian feel to it that you don't quite get at any of the Maui properties. I think it's one of those things you have to experience to really get what people are talking about.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Just starting to figure out this whole FT thing!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:42 am
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to posting, whitworldwide. We love to hear from fresh voices and hope you'll continue to contribute.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Would I return to the Andaz again for free? No way. Andaz is not Hawaii, or not the Hawaii I know and love.
When I want Hawaii, I go to the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Most beautiful beach I have seen in Hawaii is at Mauna Kea. No chance of getting stuck in a dark room by the bar. The best rooms at MKB are the Deluxe Ocean View. Top floors of original building. Spectacular views and space.
You and I share similar impressions of Hawaii and these specific hotels. Although I have to admit I was let down by my stay at the MKBH last year. It was my first time there (first time on the Big Island at all, actually). We stayed in the Hualalai Suite, which is kind of the ultimate "deluxe ocean view" on the top floor of the original building. The beach was great, but the hotel is getting tired, the restaurants are average at best, and the staff was quite disappointing. It definitely did NOT live up the luxury experience I was expecting based on all their marketing materials.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
We stayed in the Hualalai Suite, which is kind of the ultimate "deluxe ocean view" on the top floor of the original building. The beach was great, but the hotel is getting tired, the restaurants are average at best, and the staff was quite disappointing. It definitely did NOT live up the luxury experience I was expecting based on all their marketing materials.
I would disagree. I have been a guest at the Mauna Kea several times and it is a classic hotel with warm service. No room I have ever been in has been tired and the beach wing rooms are recently redone.

I had a party there recently and all of my guests were impressed with the rooms, the quality of the facilities and the staff.

Perhaps the issue is that luxury experience can be subjective and expectations differ. This hotel is not (and does not intend to be) a FS-style hotel that caters to your every whim. One of the many things that makes the Mauna Kea special is the laid back "aloha" spirit. It's why many people (including my family) return.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:51 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.

Hi, I'd suggest the Four Seasons Lana'i...the OP here is my client and we booked the FS Lana'i which he did a review for and loved it! So you can read that and get a feel for it. It was completely renovated. I'm booking another client there for anniversary now and there's some special promotions with unlimited activities or daily $200 credit or $400 for suites...also, Four Seasons Preferred Partners' clients will receive a two hour sundown boat excursion, complimentary.

Also, would Syechelles be an option for you guys? No Zika in that region to my knowledge. I'd say the Six Senses or Four Seasons there to be good options. The best would be the North Island but that's just in a different price range for many of us...even if it's all inclusive
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Here we go again... I loved my Hawaii trip last year so much that I'm returning this year in late August. Very interested in hearing recent feedback (good or bad) on the hotels discussed in this thread.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
JohnRain,

Stayed at the FS Lanai in March 2017 and 2016. This year's stay was head and shoulders above the 2016 stay. The resort was firing on all cylinders and we had an absolutely great time relaxing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.