Hong Kong: FS, Ritz, or Penn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong: FS, Ritz, or Penn?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I prefer Mandarin Oriental, and would choose a harbour view room or suite there over Four Seasons.
+1
MOHK for me too , in Central , & always harbour view room or suite .
Best for me , especially when during a typhoon , much safer .
Speaking from a real experience , the staff are extremely well prepared , & were very reassuring that stay .

If in Pacific Place area for meetings , then TUH .
Hopefully , no typhoons ( or I ' d move to MOHK anyway )
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:52 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Not a big fan of the rooms at MO. Feels quite claustrophobic...
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Have to agree. I also find there can be a noise issue in the smaller rooms, perhaps because the bed is closer to the door I can hear noise outside it, and housekeeping seemed to be quite noisy at the MO.

The Harbour view rooms seem larger because they have the "enclosed balcony" section next to the window, which the other rooms don't have. The enclosed balcony section appears to increase the size of the room.

I have also stayed at the Ritz Carlton HK and thought it was sensational. The view changed between the harbour below and at times you were literally up in the clouds.

Every encounter with a RC staff member was outstanding. They are incredibly well trained.

I also thought the Ritz Carlton was the best, although I agree there is no outdoor swimming pool like at the Four Seasons, although at this time of year with the pouring rain an outdoor swimming pool won't mean you'll get a good suntan.

Incidentally, the Ritz Carlton has an indoor swimming pool on the 117th floor, with an enclosed deck area (open at the top), similar to what you would find on a cruise ship.

Last edited by QF Lad; Sep 18, 2016 at 7:53 am
Old Sep 18, 2016, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Aah , you must know which rooms / suites .

For someone who is rather claustrophobic , MOHK suits me just fine .
But just not in those suites where the bathrooms have windows but the bedrooms don ' t !! .
Have been wondering what those responsible for the major refurbishment were thinking , voyeurs .. Or ??

QF Lad , I can manage a few of the harbour view ones on higher floors ( those away from Jardine House / Exchange Square ) . Just note when window cleaning is scheduled

Love the bathroom too , the spacious walk in ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 19, 2016 at 4:18 am Reason: Add information
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Aah , you must know which rooms / suites .

For someone who is rather claustrophobic , MOHK suits me just fine .
But just not in those suites where the bathrooms have windows but the bedrooms don ' t !! .
Have been wondering what those responsible for the major refurbishment were thinking , voyeurs .. Or ??

I like these suites. For those who don't know what we are referring to it is these suites here http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hong...ur-view-suite/ and http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hong...ty-view-suite/ , so they're not too shabby.

While you are awake you keep the doors open anyway so natural light flows into the suite through the bathroom and living room.

And when you are asleep it doesn't really matter. Plus the bedroom is so quiet for sleeping because it is internal between the living room and the bathroom.

And the bathroom is beautiful and has a harbour view. It is interesting that the bathroom has been made into a feature, it is unusual.

I would be very happy to go back to these terrible suites anytime.

Last edited by QF Lad; Sep 18, 2016 at 11:53 pm
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:42 am

I've just checked in to the RC and have to say I love it. Rooms are very modern and well kept, club lounge offers lovely views and decent f&b, restaurants look great and staff are wonderful. The bar at the top (ozone) is not for me (too loud, full of tourists etc), but apart from that, I feel it's right up there with the FS, my usual hotel. Not been to the pool yet, but know I will love it!

I'm unsure why people don't like it on here. One comment, many people complained about all the tourists in the public areas, I've seen none of this apart from in the bar.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
I've just checked in to the RC and have to say I love it. Rooms are very modern and well kept, club lounge offers lovely views and decent f&b, restaurants look great and staff are wonderful. The bar at the top (ozone) is not for me (too loud, full of tourists etc), but apart from that, I feel it's right up there with the FS, my usual hotel. Not been to the pool yet, but know I will love it!

I'm unsure why people don't like it on here. One comment, many people complained about all the tourists in the public areas, I've seen none of this apart from in the bar.
Maybe the location ?
I agree that service is great and food is very good. If you're there this week end tou may try the chmpagne brunch (with don but they're slow to serve it)
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:33 pm

I also thought the RC was an excellent property. Like a few other posters in this thread, I actually preferred it to the FS overall.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Location, rooms (didn't like them), food...

The only good thing about RC for me is the views; and if you're there on a cloudy day, good luck!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:33 pm

Location, rooms (didn't like them), food...

The only good thing about RC for me is the views; and if you're there on a cloudy day, good luck!
Location I will accept is not ideal (trying to get back from HK Island last night was an effort as no taxi would go to Kowloon!), but cmon, you can't knock the rooms or food! Rooms are typical 5 star and the 2 main restaurants are fabulous !
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:29 pm

Location I will accept is not ideal (trying to get back from HK Island last night was an effort as no taxi would go to Kowloon!), but cmon, you can't knock the rooms or food! Rooms are typical 5 star and the 2 main restaurants are fabulous !
That's my problem with the rooms; they're very 'typical' 5-star. There's nothing interesting at all about the rooms and wouldn't look out of place at the Grand Hyatt, the Hyatt Regency or any number of other hotels.

I stay 2-4 nights a week at a hotel in Shenzhen that has very similar interiors to the Ritz-Carlton HK.

I did enjoy the food at the club which was decent, but was not impressed by Tosca on my only visit there - albeit a few years ago. Then again, I wasn't impressed with SPOON or NOBU (InterCon HK) on my first visits either and they've come on leaps and bounds so maybe worth another visit.

The Chinese restaurant is better, but there are so many other fantastic ones in the city that I can't see a reason to go all the way to Ritz-Carlton to eat there, much less stay there.

Ozone is an abomination.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:48 pm

I think this is a matter of taste. I thought the entry level rooms were very nice and no more corporate feeling than the FS or MO. Also liked the public spaces of the RC more than I thought I would (especially compared to the FS lobby which felt particularly sterile and bland). That said, I do think the dining options are superior at FS and MO. And the pool at FS is hard to beat.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:51 am

That's my problem with the rooms; they're very 'typical' 5-star. There's nothing interesting at all about the rooms and wouldn't look out of place at the Grand Hyatt, the Hyatt Regency or any number of other hotels.

I stay 2-4 nights a week at a hotel in Shenzhen that has very similar interiors to the Ritz-Carlton HK.

I did enjoy the food at the club which was decent, but was not impressed by Tosca on my only visit there - albeit a few years ago. Then again, I wasn't impressed with SPOON or NOBU (InterCon HK) on my first visits either and they've come on leaps and bounds so maybe worth another visit.

The Chinese restaurant is better, but there are so many other fantastic ones in the city that I can't see a reason to go all the way to Ritz-Carlton to eat there, much less stay there.

Ozone is an abomination.
I agree with your thoughts on Ozone, one to avoid. I liked the hotel and loved the Chinese restaurant but can't deny, location is problematic for my needs and I did miss the FS pool....but the view and service are great....it's a close call, on balance I'd probably go back to the FS for the location alone
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:35 am

I haven't been to Hong Kong in a while, but has FS gone downhill? Mind you this would be the only explanation to remotely compare FS and R-C HK. Under William Mackay's reign, FS was one of the finest city hotels in the world and I cannot believe this has changed. Lightyears ahead of R-C. Very strong team there.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
I think this is a matter of taste. I thought the entry level rooms were very nice and no more corporate feeling than the FS or MO. Also liked the public spaces of the RC more than I thought I would (especially compared to the FS lobby which felt particularly sterile and bland). That said, I do think the dining options are superior at FS and MO. And the pool at FS is hard to beat.

I also prefer the RC rooms to FS. The shower is wonderful and the view on a good clear day especially if one gets a prime view is probably the best you can find in Hong Kong. I also love having breakfast at the Lounge/Bar and its very cool to have breakfast while watch the clouds floats by. The chinese restaurant in both FS and RC are on par and I recently tried Caprice again and felt the standard there has dropped. So overall I actually think RC F&B is superior as well.

My only gripe with the hotel is that it is rather gaudy but I kind of got use to the decor.

Last edited by BENLEE; Oct 21, 2016 at 8:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.