Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Beach Resort

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
Thanks a lot for the detailed insight, I'll see whether it's possible to secure one of these. I liked the proximity with the city options as my girlfriend likes to go out and have silly shopping, cheap massages and things like that which would be rather impossible at Amanoi.
The 2-bedroom Pool Villa, #1090, has a second bedroom which is on all one level and has a proper indoor shower, rather than outdoor. There are two more 1-bedroom Villas, too, all on one level - #1030 and #1040 - but the views of Ha My Beach are not so good. Still, at least you will not end up with bruised shins!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Thanks a lot for the detailed insight, I'll see whether it's possible to secure one of these. I liked the proximity with the city options as my girlfriend likes to go out and have silly shopping, cheap massages and things like that which would be rather impossible at Amanoi.
I do not necessarily agree with the opinions above about the Nam Hai. Or to be more exact, we disliked it for other reasons.

The bed/stair design that everyone talks about was not an issue for me - at all. And I say this while having a horrible lack of balance when I am going down stairs. Put more aptly, if you are not badly myopic (as I am) and you do not try to get out of bed in the middle of the night - you will be fine.

I will admit that the design, while very photogenic, didn't seem to work. I don't believe we ever went in the second building (aka lounge area/living room).

Things that didn't work for me:
- command of the English language by the staff was bad. Not an issue generally but sometimes we'd struggle to give restaurant orders.
- didn't find the sea water quality/beach that great (especially against the industrial backdrop)

These wouldn't be an issue and the holiday would not have been downgraded to the worst luxury place we've ever been to had it not been for (drum roll)...the butler. I cringe inside every time I say that a resort stay was ruined by a butler - but it was (and unfortunately I cannot tell most people in real life because they will think of me as affected).

There were a number of issues with her. I think the biggest one was that she stressed us. If we were to go out she would jump out of nowhere and ask us what time we will be back. Imagine that now for every activity in or relating to the resort. She failed to acknowledge me altogether (so if I said "lunch at 1:30pm she would say "what does Mr X want", if he said it - his word was catholic) but that may have been because we were the first gay couple that she encountered?

It seemed that we had a bad PA or a secret agent following us around all the time. It the end it became a game of "try to hide from the butler". In retrospect we should have requested a change of our butler from the first day. But I couldn't bring myself to do that - live and learn.

To this day my partner thinks it was one of the worst places we've been to. I wouldn't go as far as him but I would say that I did not like it as much as I thought I would.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Hm, that hurts. I truly value your opinion as I felt in the past that we were thinking similarly. As I was thinking of Nam Hai as the splurge of my honeymoon trip next year, I guess I'll have to reconsider. Rates at Amanoi are 1100 USD (incl. tax) per night on a B&B basis and 1750 USD for the Amanoi Hideaway all incl.). That's slightly above what the Mrs. and I will be looking to pay.

As our plan was to combine Nam Hai, Hyatt Regency Danang and Park Hyatt Saigon (last two on points as I have 300'000 points). Guess I'll reconsider.
Is it worth the premium? Everyone has to decide for her-/ himself. So sometimes the socond-best is OK if the difference to the best doesn´t justify the extra Charge or it´s simply too expensive.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:28 am

We had exactly the same experience Zephyrous as you with the Butler! Far too intrusive, to the point of extreme irritation.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:29 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm not sure what there is around Con Dao.
There is nothing, which is part of the draw for some. Cheap(ish) massages can certainly be had at the resort, however.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The 2-bedroom Pool Villa, #1090, has a second bedroom which is on all one level and has a proper indoor shower, rather than outdoor. There are two more 1-bedroom Villas, too, all on one level - #1030 and #1040 - but the views of Ha My Beach are not so good. Still, at least you will not end up with bruised shins!
Excellent, thanks for explaining this. I'll note that down.

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
I do not necessarily agree with the opinions above about the Nam Hai. Or to be more exact, we disliked it for other reasons.
I wouldn't dream of wanting to have such a butler... Thanks for pointing this out.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Is it worth the premium? Everyone has to decide for her-/ himself. So sometimes the socond-best is OK if the difference to the best doesn´t justify the extra Charge or it´s simply too expensive.
Absolutely true. Just like at times, I prefer to take a suite in a solid 4-star than an entry level at a 5-star if it means a 22-25sqm room.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
We had exactly the same experience Zephyrous as you with the Butler! Far too intrusive, to the point of extreme irritation.
So, for you too. That decidedly sounds annoying!

Originally Posted by xracer
There is nothing, which is part of the draw for some. Cheap(ish) massages can certainly be had at the resort, however.
I'll check the spa menu. As long as it's not 200 USD per hour, it should be fine.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
Intercontinental Danang was quite amazing. Private beach too. Five stars all around,
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have mixed feelings about the IC Danang. We stayed in a seaside villa on the rocks with its own pool. Our butler was constantly visiting our villa or ringing us. There was no way of leaving a 'do not disturb' sign at the top of the 80 access steps and so throughout the day we were disturbed by different staff members. The 'do not disturb' sign was fixed to our villa door which meant that we had to keep the blinds closed whilst bathing, changing or sleeping as the staff had to pass our floor to ceiling windows before seeing the sign. Even when we requested privacy the staff still accessed our villa which we witnessed when eating breakfast at the beach.
There was absolutely no chance of a private skinny-dip, a big minus for us.
The villa was very luxurious and the view beautiful. I was very glad that we had our own pool as the communal adults-only pool had far too few loungers.
The rest of the resort was too large for us. The main restaurant was constantly busy. The club lounge was excellent and a welcome reprieve from the large conference that was going on throughout our stay. The Michelin starred restaurant was our only peaceful dinner. The spa and other facilities were good.
We enjoyed our five nights but would not return due to the privacy issues and the resort size. Years before we had stayed at Ana Mandara which we much preferred. Far less bling, more personal service, peace and quiet.

Last edited by heb999; Jun 29, 2016 at 11:50 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BA
I'm looking for a beach resort which has access to local amenities, which appears to preclude many of the better options such as Amanoi, SSNVB and Con Dao. FS Nam Hai looks to be one of the only hotels within reach of a local town, whereas IC Disney Danang doesn't appeal? Are there any other options, preferably in the Danang or Nha Trang area. Phu Quoc weather doesn't look very kind in May?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:16 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Fusion Maia Danang is actually closer to Hoi An than it is to Danang. Going lower, there's the Hyatt Regency too in Danang (which also has bigger suites/villas etc). There are plenty of options within Hoi An/Danang if you don't mind comfortable/upscale but not Aman/Four Seasons luxury.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I would keep an eye out for this one:
https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/hoi-an

Web site says to open in 2019, but might not be open by May though
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: United
We stayed for 5 days at the Four Seasons in Nam Hain. It's a fantastic property and its close proximity to Hoi An (15 minutes) is what made the whole trip even more amazing. We went there with our 2 kids who also enjoyed the pools, bike riding, tennis, etc. We went in April but the water was still a bit chilly. IC Danang is too far from Hoi An and it will make your treks to the town a pain. FS has a shuttle service that we used for one-way and the other trip we did on our own via local taxis. The food in Hoi An is incredible and its really set up for tourists yet is able to retain the Vietnamese charm. The breakfast in FS is awesome but we found lunch/dinner to be mediocre especially if you consider the kind of food you can get in Hoi An.

As people have mentioned the room design with steps might be challenging for folks with little kids but we had no issues and in fact, found the design to be quaint. The villas are super spacious and family friendly.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:37 am

Thank you for the advice! Any views on the Fusion Maia?
Doesn't really belong in a luxury forum, but I was kind of taken by it (although it's been a few years since I was there). The design is really love-it or hate-it - and I can see why many wouldn't like it, so study the photos carefully before deciding to go ahead. Rooms a tad small, but I did like the all-inclusive concept.

It's not luxury IMO but if you're looking for a get-away-from-it-all spa escape, it may tick the right boxes for you. If you're trying to get into Da Nang or Hoi An for adventure, it may still be too far out for you.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:35 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by heronb
I'm looking for a beach resort which has access to local amenities, which appears to preclude many of the better options such as Amanoi, SSNVB and Con Dao. FS Nam Hai looks to be one of the only hotels within reach of a local town, whereas IC Disney Danang doesn't appeal? Are there any other options, preferably in the Danang or Nha Trang area. Phu Quoc weather doesn't look very kind in May?
I wrote an extensive TR of the FS, although it was soon after they reflagged and they seemed to have removed the free limousine on call for pool villas. Also unsure of whether the alcohol in the room is still complimentary.

Four Seasons The Nam Hai (Hoi An, Vietnam)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.