Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Soneva Jani (Maldives) Opening Rates

Soneva Jani (Maldives) Opening Rates

Old May 19, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by xracer
Interesting that Soneva still insists on doing these completely open air bathrooms. I guess some people love that.
No, Eva Shivdasani loves that.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Hmmm, not sure I really "get it". Admittedly I find myself saying that about more and more luxury properties these days. So information and design details are limited, but this seems like just another, yawn, OWB property like so many others with nothing to differentiate it. I am sure it is nice, lovely, whatever. But really? $5k a night for something that isn't really distinguishable from a dozen others (just in the Maldives)? Am I alone in thinking that the time is increasingly ripe for something actually different on the luxury destination front? Maybe it is just me. Wouldn't be the first time!
Old May 19, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

soneva jani has more larger villas, including 1BR overwater
once there are floorplans, can see whether one values space
will be interesting to see jani rates for low season and crusoe
jani is near some others, i will have to do writeup sometime
(only past discussion i recall is boat between cheval and velaa)

expensive maldives - IIRC coco prive exclusive use private island from $8K (+ fees?)

with residences, seems like there would be potential for low density maldives
would always be nice to have more (resort) yachts that book by the cabin
personally, i am always interested in fewer 'rooms' , with full amenities

destinations are tough (limited beachfront) ; some new/potential >
www.flyertalk.com/forum/26146614-post13.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post26565465

But all the villas have a water slide!

(except, slide)
http://www.soneva.com/soneva-jani/villas
says slides in only 4 1BR and 1 2BR (odd)

retractable roof is new / novelty factor
but i am guessing really small not large

some other soneva / six senses have slides

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 19, 2016 at 1:10 pm
Old May 19, 2016, 12:55 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ridefar
Hmmm, not sure I really "get it". Admittedly I find myself saying that about more and more luxury properties these days. So information and design details are limited, but this seems like just another, yawn, OWB property like so many others with nothing to differentiate it. I am sure it is nice, lovely, whatever. But really? $5k a night for something that isn't really distinguishable from a dozen others (just in the Maldives)? Am I alone in thinking that the time is increasingly ripe for something actually different on the luxury destination front? Maybe it is just me. Wouldn't be the first time!

I agree with you. And specifically with regards to this resort, it doesn't really look like Soneva has made any design improvements over their very rustic style. If you like that look, it'll work for you - but I don't see anything at all unique about this (except, slide).
Old May 19, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I agree with you. And specifically with regards to this resort, it doesn't really look like Soneva has made any design improvements over their very rustic style. If you like that look, it'll work for you - but I don't see anything at all unique about this (except, slide).
No, only 5 total villas have a water slide - 4 1b, 1 2br. Not a lot of homeowners requested them.

The crusoe villas arent until 2018, phase 2.
^

Here are some more details, only the bedroom area is AC, no indoor shower, retractable roof. Some rooms have kitchen and the butler can prepare food there.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by surftb15
No, only 5 total villas have a water slide - 4 1b, 1 2br. Not a lot of homeowners requested them.

The crusoe villas arent until 2018, phase 2.
^

Here are some more details, only the bedroom area is AC, no indoor shower, retractable roof. Some rooms have kitchen and the butler can prepare food there.

No indoor shower sounds great. Means i cant wash myself when its really raining (which can happen quite a lot in the maldives throughout the year). Or I can of course wash myself in the rain. Sounds great. NOT

Soneva and their ideas are just dumb most of the time. Will never get over my ...... experience at Soneva Kiri, EVER.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by Michael82
[...]
Will never get over my ...... experience at Soneva Kiri, EVER.
Can you expand?
Old May 20, 2016, 9:26 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by ridefar
I keep thinking Maldives is a saturated market but clearly resorts don't - they still build them, and people still go.

The OP did say there's 50% discount available on those rates, so those are just published rates. Still pricey, but for the size of the villas + pool etc maybe understandable (definitely comparable with CBR / O&O). Plus Soneva currently doesn't have an overwater option there.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I keep thinking Maldives is a saturated market but clearly resorts don't - they still build them, and people still go.

The OP did say there's 50% discount available on those rates, so those are just published rates. Still pricey, but for the size of the villas + pool etc maybe understandable (definitely comparable with CBR / O&O). Plus Soneva currently doesn't have an overwater option there.
The people doing development in the Maldives definitely think there is a lot of room for development. The Amilla Fushi people are developing 550 (?) rooms across two new properties. I lost track of the number of times I heard "There are 2000 islands in the Maldives and only 200 of them are currently inhabited." There is no doubt a lot of the additional development will not be the luxury/ultra-luxury segment, but it is still a ton of additional capacity. Seems to me that with the level of proposed expansion (there are what, another 15-20 resorts opening this year alone) that differentiation becomes even more important than ever.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:35 pm

I will likely stay and try (and see Olivia again), but they really should have ditched those awful water slides. Ruins everything.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

will be lower density than other resorts, especially until crusoe
masterplan shows one side of island undeveloped, unlike fushi
first beach reserve will be incredibly private until more built
interesting theyre partially covering the overwater walkways

In November 2014 the Chinese private equity firm Sailing Capital Overseas Investment Fund, LP became an investor in Soneva to support the expansion of the company's portfolio of resorts across the maldives, representing the largest Chinese private investment to date in the Maldives.
perhaps they sold future residential sales revenue (zoe did)
or perhaps they will turn over resort(s) after residences sold

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/lu...ves-44006.html
April 2015..At Soneva Fushi, most guests come from the UK, followed by Germany, Switzerland, Scandinavia and Russia, but the Chinese..now..40 per cent of all arrivals.
mixing resort/country arrivals (china 30% in 2014 & 2015)

"one hour by speedboat from Soneva Fushi"
considering how easy to boat, odd little discussion
flyertalk.com/forum/26788474-post32.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 16, 2016 at 12:59 pm
Old May 22, 2016, 12:01 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Well, I thought the water slides were the coolest aspect of the villas. I'm sold because of the waterslide.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Heres the St Regis opening rates from October - on

Room type : over water pool villa
Rate : USD 2772 per villa pernight the rate includes breakfast & taxes
Room type : Beach pool villa
Rate : USD 2965 per villa pernight the rate includes breakfast & taxes

WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE MALDIVES? THESE RATES ARE GETTING CRAZY.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

few guest villas/resorts (supply) vs increasing demand

its highest or second highest season, other than holiday
some/many of us will travel in low season for a reason

could look at buying starwood points for st regis

comparisons are easier without taxes/breakfast

values/rates better than holidays in north america / EU

waterslides - six senses laamu, soneva, gili (ex soneva)

st regis if 22% fees
____ 2310
____ 2430

reethi rah
1800 2150 2300 water (no pool)
1190 1550 1900 beach (no pool)

1650 2200 3100 cheval blanc

FS LG
1400 1500 1750 2150 3450 water
1100 1600 1850 1950 3350 beach

FS KH
___ ____ 1700 3150 water
900 1100 1300 2250 beach

included NYE holiday for FS
FS dynamic rates get weird

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by seiknujnama
FS Voavah private island, opening in October.
exclusive-use only, competes with >
coco prive (from $8K?)
cheval blanc owners villa (from $20/30K?)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 26, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old May 23, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by surftb15
Heres the St Regis opening rates from October - on

Room type : over water pool villa
Rate : USD 2772 per villa pernight the rate includes breakfast & taxes
Room type : Beach pool villa
Rate : USD 2965 per villa pernight the rate includes breakfast & taxes

WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE MALDIVES? THESE RATES ARE GETTING CRAZY.
Not only on Maledives.... Same on Seychelles, Mallorca etc. I guess its some Kind of making the hotel interesting in the beginning (soooooo expensive, new Level, bla bla), in the end rates will get realistic....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.