Upscale Resorts (Caribbean)

Old May 17, 2016, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Upscale Resorts (Caribbean)

Hey!

Can someone please suggest upscale resorts in the Caribbean?

Boyfriend and I want to get away for 4 or 5 days and completely unplug from the world at a boutique style resort somewhere in the Caribbean

-Excellent food (we are foodies), / good wine list
-beautiful room,
-Impeccable staff,
-High quality Spa

We were looking at Ladera Resort in Saint Lucia but I dont like the fact that No TVs, A/C, or telephones in rooms (a pro for some not for me) another thing I dont like is that the room are open-to-the-element
( have missing fourth walls) might be too outdoorsy for us (I need a real room with windows and walls and dark shades to sleep until late lol)
and another con ...Is not located on near the beach

sorry for typos on my phone...

thanks
Old May 17, 2016, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if this would do better here or in the appropriate geographic forum. For right now, I'll leave it here and see what other members think or can suggest.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old May 17, 2016, 10:28 pm

I went through exact same thing... Ladera and all that.. But booked viceroy Anguilla
Old May 17, 2016, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so

@ surftb15 How was the Viceroy?

Also what do you think of the Amanyara Aman Resort
Old May 18, 2016, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by amazed

I have no idea, I will be there next month.

I booked this because the weather is a bit more accomodating then the Ladera. Apparertly the island is quite flat and the Ladera runs into issues (rain, during summer) as its higher in the mountain (st lucia) also they have no private beach.

personaly,

I dont like the Turks because all the resorts are centered around one main area and can get pretty crowded, Amanyara too.

The new Aman in DR looks good. Its around 4,000 for the lead in room , no private pool.

If you are looking there, then go to Ritz Carlton Reserve in PR. no visa, quick drive from airport, private pool. The only issue here is that if you get a room on the bottom floor then guests can look over their balcony into your pool! Fail.

But yea, I dont know much about the Viceroy yet, I can report next month. I liked the Viceroy because the rooms have private pools and are private. They also offered a 1 category upgrade on booking too.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by surftb15
I have no idea, I will be there next month.

I booked this because the weather is a bit more accomodating then the Ladera. Apparertly the island is quite flat and the Ladera runs into issues (rain, during summer) as its higher in the mountain (st lucia) also they have no private beach.

personaly,

I dont like the Turks because all the resorts are centered around one main area and can get pretty crowded, Amanyara too.

The new Aman in DR looks good. Its around 4,000 for the lead in room , no private pool.

If you are looking there, then go to Ritz Carlton Reserve in PR. no visa, quick drive from airport, private pool. The only issue here is that if you get a room on the bottom floor then guests can look over their balcony into your pool! Fail.

But yea, I dont know much about the Viceroy yet, I can report next month. I liked the Viceroy because the rooms have private pools and are private. They also offered a 1 category upgrade on booking too.
Amanyara is not centered around Grace Bay.. it's off in it's own little part of Turks.. not crowded at all... it's a beautiful setting but quite pricey... Food/service are definitely not up to par with other Amans I've been to... your requirements are quite steep for the Caribbean.... you may be able to get 3 out of the 4... The Anguilla recommendation is good; another place to consider is La Samanna on St. Martin- lots of good food options but the spa situation probably doesn't fit your requirements... The RC reserve on PR checks a good number of those boxes but the advice about the plunge pools needs to be heeded...

Not sure what days you were looking at for Amanera's rates Surfb15 but most of the entry level rooms seem to max out under 2K for January next year....

FDW
Old May 18, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I would say the RC Dorado Beach is your best bet. We had a few minor service snafus while we were there, but really enjoyed it. The hard product is phenomenal. It had a gorgeous spa and good food. I don't recall the problem with the plunge pool, but maybe nobody was staying above us. We stayed on the quieter side of the resort that does not face the main beach. I kind of liked being over there. It seemed much more private.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:42 am

Boyfriend and I want to get away for 4 or 5 days and completely unplug from the world at a boutique style resort somewhere in the Caribbean . . . We were looking at Ladera Resort in Saint Lucia but I dont like the fact that No TVs, A/C, or telephones in rooms . . .
I thought you said 'unplug.'
Old May 18, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I thought you said 'unplug.'
snicker
Old May 18, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Amanyara is not centered around Grace Bay.. it's off in it's own little part of Turks.. not crowded at all... it's a beautiful setting but quite pricey... Food/service are definitely not up to par with other Amans I've been to... your requirements are quite steep for the Caribbean.... you may be able to get 3 out of the 4... The Anguilla recommendation is good; another place to consider is La Samanna on St. Martin- lots of good food options but the spa situation probably doesn't fit your requirements... The RC reserve on PR checks a good number of those boxes but the advice about the plunge pools needs to be heeded...

Not sure what days you were looking at for Amanera's rates Surfb15 but most of the entry level rooms seem to max out under 2K for January next year....

FDW
Yea I meant to say 4,400 roughly for 4 nights, tax inclusive.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:50 am

Ladera is really magical! It's the most memorable trip I took with my then-boyfriend, now-husband. I'm a very indoorsy gal, and my husband hates light and heat, but we both found the setting to be really comfortable and relaxing.

As for the others mentioned, we love the RC Dorado and go every year. It will always be easy for you to get to, however, so I would suggest doing something more out there and save it for down the road when you prize convenience.

Viceroy Anguilla does not have a good plunge pool set-up (they're very small and don't get very warm). We stayed there right after it opened and had a great food and service experience, but I hear that has changed for the worse. I would check out Malliouhana on Anguilla instead. Some great restaurants and beaches on Anguilla.

We have only dined at Amanyara, not stayed, because our friends who have stayed there all leave very disappointed with the service and value.

Have you thought about St. Bart's? Harbour Island? Both have great ambience, gorgeous beaches and some nice places to stay.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:56 am

Guana Island - BVI www.guana.com

No TV's or phones. All rooms do have wi-fi, villas have a digital entertainment system.

Agree with others on you desire to unplug but still require plug-ins.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:11 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Foodies and Caribbean are often not a good combo, except maybe St Barts.
If you can lower your food expectations Jumby Bay hits 3 out of 4 of your high notes. The food can be good if you work with the culinary staff and let them work with you. They'll make anything you ask for off menu with notice
Old May 19, 2016, 11:22 am

I don't agree at all that "Foodie" and Caribbean do not work ... however, many times you need to get away from the resort(s).

And keep in mind, too, where you are - don't seek out Michelin 3* types, rather the local spots that are vibrant and full of the local joie de vivre.

I'm pretty sure ABG and I are actually agreeing on this point.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:17 pm

The Peninsula House Las Terrenas DR

Take a look at The Peninsula House Las Terrenas DR

http://thepeninsulahouse.com/

With Six very nice rooms, personal attention from the owner and staff and great food. The house is up on a hill with amazing view, nice pool and spa room off the pool. There is a great restaurant they have for you during the day with lounge chairs and all. Beach service is very casual but if you ask for something they will do it for you.
Also I think LT has some great restaurants and food shops along with the grit of the town which I love too. Its not for everyone but if you find it is for you its bliss.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.