Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for fine hotel in San Antonio and New Orleans?

Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Seems that discussion of San Antonio hotels here is sparse and none is recent. Anyone familiar with the Riverwalk hotel choices there and which would be recommended? Looks like maybe the Omni or the Westin?

And as long as I'm at it, any thoughts on New Orleans? From what I see the Ritz is the best choice? I saw a gushing review of the Monteleone recently so am wondering if that is also a possibility.

We'll be going in September.

TIA
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ejong
Seems that discussion of San Antonio hotels here is sparse and none is recent. Anyone familiar with the Riverwalk hotel choices there and which would be recommended? Looks like maybe the Omni or the Westin?

And as long as I'm at it, any thoughts on New Orleans? From what I see the Ritz is the best choice? I saw a gushing review of the Monteleone recently so am wondering if that is also a possibility.

We'll be going in September.

TIA
I'm NOT a Ritz-Carlton fan, but I'm the first to admit the Ritz-Carlton Nola is one of the best in the network. Great hotel (and location) with an awesome Club floor.

For more of a 'classic Nola' stay, look towards the Roosevelt...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:03 pm

Not on the Riverwalk, per se

Hotel Emma has recently opened in San Antonio's Pearl Brewery complex. It is technically on the Riverwalk in that you can walk next to the river to the main Riverwalk but is probably about a mile north of there. That said the Brewey area is more interesting than the tourist trap part. We only had a lovely lunch at the Emma but have not stayed there it looks nicer than the Westin (which I have stayed at).

When we lunched at the Emma, we were staying at the St. Anthony which was a pleasant experience--old hotel renovated recently. Also, a touch better than the Westin and not on the river but close access.

Have stayed at the Ritz NO twice in the dead of August and always enjoyed it--our travel agent always helped get us a nice upgrade (the place is really empty that time of year). We once stayed at the W French Quarter and it was the least dreadful W experience we've had and a step down from the Ritz but great location. The Windsor Court used to be the place to stay in the 90s, not sure how it has fared. I see LHW has one property (Le Pavillon) but never heard of it and don't love the location.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
For New Orleans, see this somewhat recent thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...here-stay.html
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
The Mokara Hotel & Spa is located on a nice stretch of the Riverwalk. It is probably a notch short of luxury, but it is at least worth a few clicks to take a look. I stayed here for 6 nights in December of 2012 and enjoyed my stay. Book river view rooms only... others have dreadful views. One negative I recall is soundproofing between rooms is not great.

Last edited by schriste; Feb 12, 2016 at 7:10 am
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
+1 on ritz particularly club level. Also I can't emphasis enough prior post warning about the W
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for these replies.

I know what you mean about the Ritz. It can be hit or miss. I've stayed at the one on CPS in NYC and loved it; stayed at the one in Sarasota and felt like it was a Marriott with a Ritz name on it - oh wait, it IS now a Marriott, right? However, loved the one in South Beach and I like the one in Marina del Rey.

So in San Antonio no one is cheering for the Westin, it seems? Is the Mokara the former Watermark that I have seen good things about?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Many thanks for these replies.

I know what you mean about the Ritz. It can be hit or miss. I've stayed at the one on CPS in NYC and loved it; stayed at the one in Sarasota and felt like it was a Marriott with a Ritz name on it - oh wait, it IS now a Marriott, right? However, loved the one in South Beach and I like the one in Marina del Rey.

So in San Antonio no one is cheering for the Westin, it seems? Is the Mokara the former Watermark that I have seen good things about?
I've never thought of the SA Westin as being luxury or even that special to distinguish it from other chain hotels in SA.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I've never thought of the SA Westin as being luxury or even that special to distinguish it from other chain hotels in SA.
Plus it is on a rather dead stretch of the Riverwalk.

Is the Mokara the former Watermark that I have seen good things about?
I think it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.