Amanresorts Thread 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented
I am not surprised at all. Classic Amangiri. Really sorry you had to endure all of this, it should not have happened at an Aman, especially the non-existent recovery. At least you did not have to chase someone at the pool for 45 minutes to get a lounger set up (or a towel for that matter). And I'm not optimistic it'll get better, too many GMs tried to fix it, to no success. We either have to put up with it or not return at all.

Regarding Christophe, we shall see... just wait until the Ladies and Gentlemen of Amanpulo are serving Ladies and Gentlemen On a less cynic note, he'll have a hard time spoiling Pulo, Tapa T left a remarkable resort - even during his absence I felt everything went very smooth.
Think I will postpone Giri this year & hopefully , the service might improve a tinge .
Many here will be livid with Christophe if he even upsets the efficient happy warm team there & lets service , etc standards slide .
My heart sort of sank when it was confirmed . No wonder some GMs refused to say who it was going to be with remarks " am sure he ' ll be very good " . With me thinking , am not so sure these days , 5/6 years ago I ' d be confident but not any more . Wary is an understatement .
Hoping to return later in the year .
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
So who is taking over Amangiri? I'm not particularly excited about that appointment, as I'd rate the Amangiri service as the worst of any Aman I've been to and that included management.
This made me chuckle. Try ASP sometime. It is worse there.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
This made me chuckle. Try ASP sometime. It is worse there.
Been there when Mark S was GM , it was very good then . Even the Peking duck was best ever & I have had numerous , elsewhere in Beijing at different times / trips included . Maybe Man Wah at MOHK is close .
What a relief it was too then , but have been wanting to return but unlikely from all indications now
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

there were a few great reports here for beijing and ruya (and other 'mixed' amans)

NYBanker photos of summer palace before open to public
http://sitinfirst.com/2015/09/aman-a...e-not-for-all/

Originally Posted by luxury
I stayed at Amanfayun and Aman Summer Palace this summer and Fayun was average and ASP was a disaster.
external hire replaced weiland at beijing, anyone know circumstances of departure?
seems weiland is back now, at le melezin? longtime melezin GM Hélčne Serane left?
so ruya (monty) and giri pending GMs

speaking of man wah at MO HK, seem to recall reports of decline here at one point

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Sean was in the US on a marketing trip.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 15, 2016 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:13 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I'm not worrying, as I won't be back anytime soon: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post24901090

I'd rather try the MO in Bodrum when I return.
DON'T - the service at MO is laughable. The architecture is wonderful but it does not, in any way, come close to Amanruya. I had a great experience at Ruya (and a mediocre one at MO) so perhaps you got unlucky?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

https://seminyakvillasbali.wordpress...9/28/the-aman/

Synthia Rosenfeld DestinAsian February/March 2008

when I ask fellow guests to define what set Aman apart from its increasingly decadent competition, not one person speaks of hts trendsetting aesthetics or trailblazing destinations. It’s the people, they tell me; the human touch.

“Most important for Mr. Zecha are his people,: Chawbewan Chailaipan, Amanpuri’s front office manager, tells me...Chailaipan started working here on day one in january 1988 as a waitress, and she has since traveled to each of the three Aman resorts in Bali to [teach] trainee about “the Aman philosophy.”

Zecha has been seen spotting a Trisara baseball cap...Lark “still loves Aman with all my heart. I spent 10 years there learning from the best that our success and failure in this business depend on listening to the guests.”

“Zecha’s vision,” Lark says, “was to take the little personalized inns he had enjoyed around Bali and elevate the concept as a viable alternative to big corporate hotels. We personally made sure everyone felt comfortable. We took responsibility for entertaining our guests, to help them experience the surrounding culture and environment. The only difference between being an Amanpuri guest and staying in my house was the bill presented at the end.”

Bhutan, where it now operates five lodges. A similar roll out was planned for Sri Lanka

Lark...recalls. “...certain set who wanted privacy without pomp. Remember, this was at a time when the best these world travelers could find was a big, overly decorated suite in a hotel chain.”

“What sets Aman apat is the guest experience. Other brand gives you only a hotel experience,” concurs Bill Dalton...landscape architect, which has been with the company since 1990, spends most of the year traveling around Asia to keep Aman resorts well manicured...Amanwana...longtime Aman employee named Chittima Sriudom insists I arise at tawn to have breakfast beside a waterfall, where I’m magically surrounded by amber dragonflies and turquoise butterflies. A few days later, a birthday cake awaits my arrival at Amanusa....tasteful presents at Amanbagh...Sally Baughen, the general manager, personally arranges a sunrise yoga session for me that ends with a cup of masala chai and chocolate biscuits. I wrap up my travels convinced that single women looking to be spoiled should skip the dating scene and check into an Aman instead.

how the company maintains its authentic, effortlessly casual style of service

first on-the-ground report I read after the 2004 tsunami swept across Sri Lankan coast came from Amangalla’s Olivia Richli, who managed to describe the scene amid turning her hotel into a refugee camp for hundreds within hours of the waves receding. The heritage property in Galle Fort remained a food and fuel distribution canter for weeks after the tsunami and hosted the temporary headquarters of the British High Commission.

Amanpuri...By the time I swim back to the beach, my lounger has been shifted slightly to capture maximum sun, and a tall glass of ice water glistens alongside the lunch menu.

transcript of a speech [Zecha] gave at Amanresorts’ 10th anniversary
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:35 pm

Those were the days.....
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Those were the days.....
Yes , sadly .
Chittima S has also just left Aman , most recently she was back at Puri for a couple of years or so ..
Time to visit & say farewell to the very few " pioneers " there , seems like less than a handful now - to see how well we are reaching our golden years together
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: some
I am fascinated by the ongoing negative comments and reminiscing about the 'good old days'. Some of the most amazing experiences I've had at Aman have been in the last couple of years, including at new properties such as Hangzhou and Amandayan. It's a good thing to be aware of changes and their possible impact, but it's possible to overdo it.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

nusa added to repeat of FHR free night through may

summer palace may have peaked in 2012 >
Originally Posted by Groombridge
best stays of 2012 [Amanfayun #3] Aman-Summer Palace #4
tremendous warmth of virtually everyone we met at the 2 Chinese resorts
Staff were...experienced in English
addressed us by name...a constant at the Chinese Amans
operating at the very highest levels right now, with impeccably trained and endlessly nurturing staff. I was blown away by how personalized the experiences at Amanfayun and Aman-Summer Palace were, even by Aman's highest of standards.
ruya and noi seem to be examples of opening at incredible standard, even if some drop as occupancy increased
and those are just the 'incredible standard' - seem to recall discussion of taka also opening very well

there were multiple great reports for yara in summer 2013, before management gutted summer 2015

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 17, 2016 at 12:32 am
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
I am fascinated by the ongoing negative comments and reminiscing about the 'good old days'. Some of the most amazing experiences I've had at Aman have been in the last couple of years, including at new properties such as Hangzhou and Amandayan. It's a good thing to be aware of changes and their possible impact, but it's possible to overdo it.
You mean Amanfayun in Hangzhou? That is not a new property. I stayed there when it opened in 2011. Equally, Amandayan in Lijiang was very much an Adrian Zecha project, so the attention to detail was all in place when it opened. I think you need to look at the newer openings and, in particular, address the service and food issues. Hotel groups are much more than buildings and in the case of Amanresorts, this was truer than most. The experience was all about the people.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:03 pm

"“Zecha’s vision,” Lark says, “was to take the little personalized inns he had enjoyed around Bali "

These places still exist - obviously without the mattress toppers and the private plunge pool but without the price tag! Service is excellent.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:23 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fliar
I have said something similar before. We still very much enjoy our Aman holidays, including recent stays at Amanfayun, Amanbagh and Aman-i-Khas plus Amanzoe the last year and also an upcoming visit to Amanjiwo where pre arrival service has been brilliant. Also; t
here has been reported problems in newer Amans before as well - personally I have experienced such new-resort issues at Aman Sveti Stefan and Amanzoe "in the good old days", but the mentality of the team and willingness of management to make it work or compensating, made even these stays very memorable. I count myself in the (maybe smaller but still existing) group of Amanjunkies who will still go to Amanresorts in the future and who really hope and believe that my stays there will be as good as they have been in the past. I sometimes ask myself if some Amanjunkies were actually treated even better than me in the past and that they experience bigger problems now when their "good old Aman friends" are not there any longer, but as long as my stays are still as good as they have been, I will stay a fan and junkie.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Musken
I have said something similar before. We still very much enjoy our Aman holidays, including recent stays at Amanfayun, Amanbagh and Aman-i-Khas plus Amanzoe the last year and also an upcoming visit to Amanjiwo where pre arrival service has been brilliant. Also; t
here has been reported problems in newer Amans before as well - personally I have experienced such new-resort issues at Aman Sveti Stefan and Amanzoe "in the good old days", but the mentality of the team and willingness of management to make it work or compensating, made even these stays very memorable. I count myself in the (maybe smaller but still existing) group of Amanjunkies who will still go to Amanresorts in the future and who really hope and believe that my stays there will be as good as they have been in the past. I sometimes ask myself if some Amanjunkies were actually treated even better than me in the past and that they experience bigger problems now when their "good old Aman friends" are not there any longer, but as long as my stays are still as good as they have been, I will stay a fan and junkie.
I agree Musken. I leave for Amanpuri tomorrow. I will let you know if anything has changed. Enjoy Amanjiwo!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

no, that's not a hotel, that's a new villa at amanzoe. wow.
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanzoe...-bedroom-villa

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 16, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.