Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Montage Kapalua vs FS Maui vs Andaz Maui: pros and cons for each?

Montage Kapalua vs FS Maui vs Andaz Maui: pros and cons for each?

Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I've never stayed, but I would be willing to give Andaz a try at suite level.

FS Maui is not as nice as FS Hualalai, so if you did not particularly like Hualalai, Maui is unlikely to impress.
For anyone who doesn't require air con and/or who likes it a bit warmer in the room, I think the FS Haulalai is a spectacularly beautiful property. I am disappointed that their air con system cannot accommodate my requirements, but it is what it is. Presumably, they no longer have such dramatic and consistent service failures as I experienced years ago--it was just very wrong place, very wrong time for us, perhaps.

The FS Haulalai is likely the most beautiful property in all of Hawaii I've thus far seen...though the StR Princeville on Kauai unquestionably has the best view/location of any property in Hawaii IMO.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
For anyone who doesn't require air con and/or who likes it a bit warmer in the room, I think the FS Haulalai is a spectacularly beautiful property. I am disappointed that their air con system cannot accommodate my requirements, but it is what it is. Presumably, they no longer have such dramatic and consistent service failures as I experienced years ago--it was just very wrong place, very wrong time for us, perhaps.

The FS Haulalai is likely the most beautiful property in all of Hawaii I've thus far seen...though the StR Princeville on Kauai unquestionably has the best view/location of any property in Hawaii IMO.
That's a shame about air con issues at Hualalai. I agree it is a beautiful property.

How do rates compare between Andaz and FS Maui for the relevant categories? I know you have said that price is not an issue, but particularly if Andaz were a value proposition (perhaps if a GP suite upgrade were available), I would be tempted to take a gamble on it instead of staying at FS Maui. Plus, multiple reports of very effective air con (almost too cold for some) definitely sounds like a plus for you.

Re StR Princeville, are there any categories of suites that are especially nice? I have heard mixed reviews about the property, but that view does look beautiful.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
THow do rates compare between Andaz and FS Maui for the relevant categories? I know you have said that price is not an issue, but particularly if Andaz were a value proposition (perhaps if a GP suite upgrade were available), I would be tempted to take a gamble on it instead of staying at FS Maui. Plus, multiple reports of very effective air con (almost too cold for some) definitely sounds like a plus for you.
We have Andaz partial oceanview suite at AAA rate of $659 for 6 nights over Thanksgiving week. A very good deal IMO. Lowest FS room price is $999; lowest suite price is $1449, and that's garden view.

We are definitely staying at the Andaz. The FS is close enough to still see our friends who stay there annually--and probably dine with them there at the FS whenever we want, too. But the (1) cost/benefit is superior at Andaz and (2) the reports about Andaz air con blasting arctic cold makes me salivate...in a good way. #pavlovsdoghere

Re StR Princeville, are there any categories of suites that are especially nice? I have heard mixed reviews about the property, but that view does look beautiful.
Last visit was May 2014. As SPG Plat, was upgraded to Junior Suite...but sweet front desk attendant upgraded me again to St. Regis Suite. View was fabulous. But Junior Suite has balcony whereas St. Regis Suite does not--which was fine with me (since I like a cold room anyway, and doors to balconies tend to warm a room in the tropics IME), but disappointing for my husband. We took a look at the Junior Suite and it also had a very nice view, but our corner location St Regis Suite really made for an incredible view. It was a very spacious living room, separated (sorta) bedroom, and huge bath--but the Junior Suite was also very spacious. You definitely want a VIEW room category at the StR Princeville.

The StR Princeville doesn't look so hot from the exterior--it's a dated exterior like so many Hawaiian hotels, since the state/communities don't easily allow remodel/refurbishment on exterior edifices. But public/lobby interiors were wonderful--and it was fantastic service. Our room decor was fine--nothing extravagant but nicely designed and very comfortable, and definitely with a Hawaiian vibe. Reminds me of the Halekulani decor after their refresh. The air con in my suite was good--not great--but I was comfortable the entire duration of our stay.

My biggest issue with the StR Princeville was the main dining restaurant--food and service were outstanding, but it was a very claustrophobic, less inviting space than anywhere else at the resort. That restaurant apparently is now closed for refurbishment/relocation--as they obviously took my criticism to heart. Otherwise, we've always loved the F&B at this hotel.

It is cloudier/rainier on average on that side of the island so it's to be avoided during the winter/holiday months for most people. But we had most full days of sunshine, with one big rainstorm.

But the view is the best in Hawaii, again.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 20, 2015 at 11:15 am
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:16 am

(2) the reports about Andaz air con blasting arctic cold makes me salivate...in a good way. #pavlovsdoghere

At those prices I think Andaz is the much better choice. Plus, it sounds like you will be eating at FS with your friends anyway. Especially if you have status with Hyatt, you should expect to be treated well on a paid suite booking. Probably just as well as you would be at FS, which is nice, but still a run of the mill property compared to the best FS properties in the world.

Thank you for the information about StR Princeville. It looks like a very good option in Kauai, I imagine it is hard to argue with that view from the looks of it.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:59 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
But the view is the best in Hawaii, again.
Agreed! As you said, Princeville doesn't have the best hard product, but its location is unbeatable. And it's not just the views, either. Princeville is just a stone's throw away from one of the world's most spectacular coastlines, the Na Pali Coast.

Also, The Kalalau Trail is absolutely one of the world's best hiking trails. Even if you're not the heartiest person out there, it's definitely worth doing the first part of the trek (~2 hours one way); you won't regret it!

That said, since the weather is far more variable (rainy and windy) in the area, it's probably not the best choice for those wishing for a sun & beach holiday. But the rest of Hawaii offers that, and it might be worth staying at Princeville if combining with properties elsewhere on the islands.

Last edited by KI-NRT; Nov 21, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Agreed! As you said, Princeville doesn't have the best hard product, but its location is unbeatable. And it's not just the views, either. Princeville is just a stone's throw away from one of the world's most spectacular coastlines, the Na Pali Coast.

Also, The Kalalau Trail is absolutely one of the world's best hiking trails. Even if you're not the heartiest person out there, it's definitely worth doing doing the first part of the trek (~2 hours one way); you won't regret it!
Absolutely agree. We did the Kalalau trail once for the first part (2 miles to Hanakapi'ai Beach), and once all the way to the Hanakapi'ai waterfall (another 2 miles).

That said, since the weather is far more variable (rainy and windy) in the area, it's probably not the best choice for those wishing for a sun & beach holiday. But the rest of Hawaii offers that, and it might be worth staying at Princeville if combining with properties elsewhere on the islands.
I recommend staying at the StR Princeville between May and June before the summer holiday crowds begin--and because rainfall is least common during those 2 months (but it still rains). But it isn't a bad idea to combine the StR Kauai with another hotel in Hawaii (or even the GH Poipu Kauai on the sunnier side of Kauai).
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:44 am

andaz - fs maui

looks like you've done your homework and far, far in advance, good for you!
since you are so far out i'd watch for some great packages and improved rates as your dates get closer. rates are very dynamic!
i walked over to the andaz last week to check things out and it looked nice just more people and long lines at the beach hut (not as populated as grand wailea tho). like you, i'd stay at the andaz with a price differential as you've quoted. i would just keep in mind these 2 properties are nothing alike.
the fs maui, although not perfect like hulalalai , has fine-tuned the minutia and personalized service which makes for an unforgettable, memorable trip.

* just a note on montage. i checked that place out, too, and found it to be gorgeous, gorgeous! i didn't book due to the crazy-high rates on my particular dates, just couldn't justify the cost. i'd be more inclined to go the montage route if traveling with my family in its entirety.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
If you are considering those 3 properties, and you can live without being on the beach, you should also consider Hotel Wailea. IMO, Andaz looks nice but it is a big hotel (good restaurants though) with all that implies. FS is a zoo. Montage is a contender for sure, but has very high rates and is a little isolated in you are looking for a broad range of dining choices. Hotel Wailea has a great restaurant and a lovely pool area. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Not being on the beach really isn't a big deal because if you are in Wailea the best beach is definitely Makena, which requires a drive from any of the properties you mentioned. Just my $0.02.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to hear re 'new' Hotel Wailea, 72 suites, 15 acres
seems 18 cottages with 4 suites each? (check AC?)
http://www.hotelwailea.com/#map also interesting >
pool, hot tub and private cabanas (exclusively for guests 16 years and older)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 22, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Montage

Sitting in a three bedroom at Montage right now. In truth, it is an exclusive resorts residence but same housekeeping, room service, amenities pretty much as Montage. This is our third visit, first one when it was still a RC residences. We stayed that time in a two bedroom which is now part of Montage inventory. Great layout, full kitchen, top floor, huge lanai with view of both islands off coast. Fell in love with pool (see pictures on various sites, the nicest pool I have experienced) and so returned once we joined ER. It was right in middle of transition to Montage, had some issues as delays existed in construction as most of pool closed, working on our tower so lots of noise, etc. ER made it up to us, but beach snorkeling and remaining pool, privacy and high quality of furnishing still brought us back. We are here for KU games in Maui Classic this year, and, with Montage operating it for over a year, the resort is hitting on all cylinders.

Service is phenomenal, Cane & Canoe (new onsite restaurant) is the new go-to place on North Shore here (Merriman's was mostly empty the other night while C&C is completely sold out). Staff greets by name even though not technically part of hotel. No mad rush in morning for pool chairs like I saw one time we stayed at FS Wailea and staff is super proactive at bringing water, snacks, fresh towels, etc. Walking to a really nice, simple snorkel beach with all the rest of Lahinia only 15 minutes away. Spa is great, good range of services. Golf is on PGA course and not crowded (we got a tee time with 24 hours notice). Overall, this is best beach resort setup we have seen, very private, doesn't feel like a huge complex even though it is. And 10 minutes to Lahnia Civic Center so if you are seeing all three games, much better than hour plus drive each way from Waliea.

If this wasn't a 9 hour flight from Chicago, would be here more, but is definitely at top of list in Hawaii and anywhere if want beach resort.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: United 1K
FS Maui works for me

So happy to hear the criticisms of FS Maui and that people will be staying elsewhere. As I prepare for 2 week stay there beginning next week I will have less competition at the Serenity Pool! Thank goodness for the new Hyatt next door and the lovely properties around Kapalua. Latter is hard to beat if you like rainbows (and lots of rain). Thread has become a bit of a DYKWIA
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

july (4th?) 2012 >
Originally Posted by ainternational
Securing a seat / lounge chair at the Serenity Pool is getting absolutely ridiculous. Not only were the private cabanas (which are pricey but I was willing to pay) sold out well in advance of my queries, even getting normal chairs is a game. There was a line of no less than 35-40 males (women in rooms? ;-) ) as the pool opened at 7:30am (?) daily. By the time I arrived after breakfast, more casually, at 8am, I put my name on the list for two chairs. I was called at 4:30pm [8.5 hours later] when something became available. Unbelievable. My suggestion to the FS Maui is to restrict access to those lounge chairs for a max number of hours when there is a waiting list.
2015 >
Originally Posted by aa213bb
When I was at FS Maui earlier this year, the "serenity" (quotes intended) pool was full-up all day long, every day -- this on a weekend in February (not Valentine's).

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 8, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by keith.miller
So happy to hear the criticisms of FS Maui and that people will be staying elsewhere. As I prepare for 2 week stay there beginning next week I will have less competition at the Serenity Pool!
When I was at FS Maui earlier this year, the "serenity" (quotes intended) pool was full-up all day long, every day -- this on a weekend in February (not Valentine's).

We enjoyed our stay, but thankfully had been before and very much knew to temper expectations from what we normally like.

Do enjoy your two week holiday, and report back please.

And bhrubin, when I was there in '04 for the Felton/May/McCants Maui Invitational (followed nicely by a FF trip to St Louis), we opted to stay up at the RC. Personally, felt like driving from the FS area was too far for my tastes. Hope you get the same results as when I went.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:37 am

The idea of paying $1k + per night to stay at FS Maui during a high occupancy period (with all of the waiting for lounge chairs / cabana and difficulty getting spa appointments when I want them) holds zero appeal to me. I am sure it is great for families who can only travel during those time periods, but that is not how I like to travel.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:32 am

Happy w/ Andaz

Stayed at Andaz last year. First room offered was awful, parking lot view, so I complained and said I'd leave hotel if that was the best they would do. Quickly moved to view room, and loved our experience. Great large pool complex, but also a quiet adult pool - separate and serene. In addition to hotel, other good dining options close by including Monkeypod (happy hour awesome and best deal around).

Hello fellow FTers!

My UNC Tar Heels will be playing in the Maui Invitational Basketball Tournament over the week of Thanksgiving 2016 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

I've already made a speculative AAA booking at the Andaz Maui in an ocean view suite. Garden view rooms were available on points, but I wanted to have some space. The Andaz is the only property that allowed me to book so far in advance, so I figured I'd hold the Andaz reservation while I see what becomes available at the Montage or FS. I'm SPG Plat, but I can't stomach the Westin or Sheraton on Maui.

I know Montage Kapalua is most convenient to Lahaina for the games, but I don't want to pick a hotel entirely based on that--since my husband likely won't even go with me to the games. I'd been to the Kapalua Bay Hotels over a decade ago when they were part of the Luxury Collection, and we loved Kapalua--but that hotel no longer exists. We weren't as impressed with the RC at the time, which since has been turned into the Montage. But many people seem very impressed with the Montage.

I also know that many people really love the FS Maui, including some very good friends of ours who stay there every Thanksgiving. If the FS Maui is anything like the FS Hualalai, though, it's possible I won't even be able to make a booking over the many returning guests over such a holiday week. At least the Andaz is super close if our friends stay at the FS as usual.

Can frequent guests or those who know these 3 properties give me the pros and cons for these properties? Price isn't a problem, but we do tend to think with cost/benefit in mind. Just because we can afford something doesn't mean we think it's worth it. Location is secondary, since I don't mind using a rental car to go to Lahaina for the games. We've never before been to the Wailea area of Maui, but we loved the Kapalua area the last time we visited.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.