Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What's your choice for a long weekend in Chicago?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Currently we are looking at the Langham club level. Now is the club level worth it if booking with Virtuoso? I see it includes daily cocktails but not sure if you are limited to one each (it's vacation, don't judge ).

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
NOT the W-A Chicago. Hard product is very, very nice but I have stayed here three times and EVERY single stay I have had some sort of issue that was then handled very terribly. The only "positive" is that their service recovery was exclusively composed of refunding one night's stay. However, this was at the expense of them taking forever to get to the root of my actual complaint, and was so frustrating. I honestly have no idea why it took me three times to figure out what a frustrating hotel it is.

I have heard only A+ things about the Langham, although my extent of experience with the property is a Sunday brunch, which was absolutely fantastic on a food quality and service basis.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
My favorite is the Peninsula, but I had a very nice stay recently at the Park Hyatt for the Notre Dame Texas football game. It is substantially less expensive. The food quality was really excellent there.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The Langham is quite nice and would probably be my recommendation. I do stay at the WA quite often and have not had a problem. I have eaten at the Penn and the Trump several times without any complaints. See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...chicago-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...peninsula.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...chicago-3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...p-chicago.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...z-carlton.html
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Valveking
My favorite is the Peninsula, but I had a very nice stay recently at the Park Hyatt for the Notre Dame Texas football game. It is substantially less expensive. The food quality was really excellent there.
I too have recently stayed at the Park Hyatt and I did enjoy my stay. They do have a policy of not upgrading to suites, strangely enough. I am a Diamond and booked a FHR rate, and was given a normal room (despite many suites available).

Quick story - probably one of my worst check-in experiences was at the PH last month (during the above mentioned stay). I inquired about a suite being available as a Diamond/FHR stay. I was just staying for the night but could have used the extra room. Didn't make a big deal out of it, but the agent was said she was able to locate a Park Suite. Then, after a few more keyboard taps, she said she had the bigger Gold Coast Suite, if I was able to wait for 15-30 minutes for it to be cleaned.

I agreed, and thanked her gratiously, and sat in the lobby for 20 minutes, until she came and found me. As she was giving me the new key, she casually informed me that my rate would be $400 higher per night. WHAT?! Can't believe she waited until this point to inform me of any upcharge, as it was clear by my question during check-in that I was looking for a complementary upgrade as part of Diamond/FHR benefits, and not more.

I did inform the manager later that night. She did offer me the Gold Coast Suite at no charge, as what happened was "against policy", but I politely declined, as I had already settled in. She did send me a hand-written note later that night, and gave me her contact information for my next stay, where I would be "given a proper upgrade."

Very strong service recovery from a poorly-trained front desk agent. I would return. I can very much agree with Valveking that the food is excellent. I greatly enjoyed both dinner and breakfast at NoMi, and the view is outstanding.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've stayed many times at the PH and agree that's its a good choice. The main go to hotel for decades was the Ritz Carlton which has been managed by Four Seasons until recently. I think they are going to renovate soon if they haven't started already. I stayed last summer and it was still an excellent hotel in search of a modern renovation.

I've heard good things about the Trump, but haven't tried it myself. The Pen seems too sterile to me.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
deleted

Last edited by schriste; Nov 13, 2015 at 7:34 am Reason: No value in calling out callmedtop on Hyatt upgrade policy
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I normally like the North Michigan area, but if you want to be downtown in the loop (near the art museum, for example), there's an interesting new option. The Chicago Athletic Club has been turned into a boutique hotel and it looks very interesting. The restaurant has apparently been getting rave reviews and the bar on top seems to be a current place to see and be seen. I'm not sure whether it's true luxury--I haven't stayed here yet--but it would be my top pick for the loop area.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:53 pm

Any experiences with the new(ish) Virgin Hotels Chicago?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Chicago Athletic Club has been turned into a boutique hotel
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Virgin Hotels Chicago
also - clubs with public hotels >
https://www.sohohousechicago.com/
http://www.bac-chicago.com/
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Yes to the Langham, and absolutely yes to the club. It's a magnificent hotel. No limit on the afternoon cocktails, either, and the snacks were fine (shrimp, dumplings, various changing options, cheese.)
The bathtubs in the suites rank at the top of my favorite hotel bathtubs, too.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
W-A vs Pen

We stay now at the W-A when we come in for weekends. For a number of years we went back and forth between Trump because of large size of suites and Pen because of great room quality and location just off North Michigan. But we felt after a while like Pen needed a refresh on some of their suites and price just wasn't worth it. W-A has always been flawless for us, great service, great room size and room amenities (like the balcony and fireplaces). We enjoy the quiet bar there too with friends. Never had a service issue, but only usually there one or at most two nights since we live in area.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:02 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The Gwen (former Conrad) vs WA vs PH vs Pen

Hi all,

We stayed 2 years ago at the WA over Memorial Day weekend. The property is lovely, and our suite was spacious and well priced, but the air con was terrible. I won't return due to its poor air con.

I am curious about the Gwen (formerly Conrad) vs PH vs Pen. The Pen is where we'd normally stay, but I hear it's sterile and I know it's overpriced based on rates at other properties. Cost/benefit matters to me.

Any comparisons with/to the Gwen (SPG Luxury Collection) and Park Hyatt that we should consider? I'm SPG Plat and Hyatt Diamond, so suite upgrades at either are a consideration. I've heard the PH might not allow Direct Suite Upgrades.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Any comparisons with/to the Gwen (SPG Luxury Collection) and Park Hyatt that we should consider?
I basically lived at the Gwen back when it was the Conrad for about 2 months (consulting project). Great property with an awesome location, easy prox to River North, Michigan Ave, but just far enough away that it's not *too* busy. The base level rooms aren't huge, but well appointed. I never got any suite upgrades, but a couple of times I received corner rooms, they could be substantially larger.

Not sure if the would have changed the menu too much in the restaurant, but there was never a lounge in that hotel, so Hilton elite breakfast was in the lobby level restaurant. Arguably the best order off the menu hotel restaurant breakfast I've ever had.

Looking at the SPG site it doesn't look like they've changed much, if anything. Unfortunately can't speak to the other hotels you mentioned.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:34 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I basically lived at the Gwen back when it was the Conrad for about 2 months (consulting project). Great property with an awesome location, easy prox to River North, Michigan Ave, but just far enough away that it's not *too* busy. The base level rooms aren't huge, but well appointed. I never got any suite upgrades, but a couple of times I received corner rooms, they could be substantially larger.

Not sure if the would have changed the menu too much in the restaurant, but there was never a lounge in that hotel, so Hilton elite breakfast was in the lobby level restaurant. Arguably the best order off the menu hotel restaurant breakfast I've ever had.

Looking at the SPG site it doesn't look like they've changed much, if anything. Unfortunately can't speak to the other hotels you mentioned.
Thanks! How was the air con at the Conrad-now-Gwen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.