Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Bellagio, Vegas. Learn from my mistakes.

Bellagio, Vegas. Learn from my mistakes.

Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:20 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I'm in the minority-I love Vegas. But if someone doesn't enjoy the Vegas scene then there are better options elsewhere where gaming, shows, parties and celebrity chefs aren't the norm.

Has anyone tried the new nobu place?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Sorry, but I honestly fail to see how any of this is the Bellagio's fault.

Check in can be busy yes, and it's unfortunate that you arrived at a busy time but that's vegas for you.
Having said that, it's never taken me longer than 10-20 minutes (Wynn took over 30 minutes a couple of months ago, and I've waited that long at the Palazzo as well).

As for Olives, the fact that you didn't bother reading the FHR welcome letter, well that is certainly your own fault, and nothing to do with them.

And the FHR room credit is never combinable as far as I am aware, and not unique to the Bellagio.
I would never just assume it was, and would have asked first.

Last edited by clubman; Nov 30, 2015 at 12:55 am
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:51 pm

I enjoy the occasional trip to Vegas, but it seems that "luxury" has a very different definition there, and not in a good way. "Fine dining" as well. Things that would never fly for luxury hotels or fine dining restaurants in the rest of the world are just par for the course in Las Vegas...
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cardboard55
I enjoy the occasional trip to Vegas, but it seems that "luxury" has a very different definition there, and not in a good way. "Fine dining" as well. Things that would never fly for luxury hotels or fine dining restaurants in the rest of the world are just par for the course in Las Vegas...
I agree to some extent, especially regarding the hotel scene there. Don't know what your reservations are when it comes to fine dining? I think Vegas has very decent cuisine, and something for everyone. I have had some amazing dinner in Vegas - Joel Robuchon, Picasso, Guy Savoy and Twist by Pierre Gagnaire come to my mind. All of the upper end 'chains' are there too, namely anything Wolfang Puck, Nobu obviously, Hakkasan... It is not Tokyo, Hong Kong or Paris, but I'd just fly to Vegas for dining, it is that good. Those cute little restaurants like in Paris that serve amazing food, have a Michelin star or two, hardly known, discreet, with the highest level of service and maybe an owner that is present and hands-on... never going to happen there, Vegas is and always will be endlessly commercial.

Hotel-wise bit more difficult, but you have to take the town for what it is. Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons and some suites at the Wynn come closest to our, if I understand you correctly, definition of luxury.

Las Vegas is not my idea of the perfect vacation, or the perfect hotel, but it works astoundingly well if you can play the game. True, you are nothing there (and treated accordingly) if you are not a high roller or of some other importance to the 3 or 4 big corporations. But lately much has changed and moved away from gaming and gambling alone. And I give Steve Wynn a lot of credit for that, because he has always been so passionate about non-gaming revenue and has pushed the boundaries over and over again with his resorts. At the time, Bellagio was groundbreaking and even today I enjoy the villas at the Wynn, despite the size of the entire operation. He is a true visionary and has brought world-class entertainment there.

Interestingly, the typical Vegas clientele is the same you would find in the Bahamas or in any of the Kerzner hotels. Very show-y. Plus today everything is about the nightclubs anyway, which are the new gambling.

Last edited by scented; Nov 30, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:45 pm
Suspended

A few more problems with the Bellagio:

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Stayed at the Bellagio over Thanksgiving and thought it was mediocre.
Room: Spa tower. Dated, dark and small. Bathroom showerhead at the height of my nose.
Food: minimal options and seriously overpriced. Lines everywhere.
Drinks: watery cocktails from $17.
Parking: use valet otherwise you will wait forever for a spot in the tiny garage.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by scented
I agree to some extent, especially regarding the hotel scene there. Don't know what your reservations are when it comes to fine dining?
I'm not a Vegas expert. I only go once a year or so. But I hit up at least a couple of the top restaurants every time I'm there. I think they're good, but tend to not live up to similar restaurants in other locations, especially in terms of service. For the restaurants with a famous name behind them, it seems like they skate by more on name recognition than quality (this happens everywhere to some extent, but seems almost universal in Vegas). And a lot of them seem more interested in catering to clientele who want to impress others with how much they're spending, rather than those who are willing to spend a lot to get a world-class meal.

Anyway, maybe I've just been unlucky, but that's my opinion based on my admittedly limited experience.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
A few more problems with the Bellagio:
Again, not my experiance.
I've never stayed in the spa tower but the regular rooms (Fountain view) are nice and bright (unless you are unlikely and end up in one that hasn't been renovated which I think may be the case with some of the smoking rooms).
Also funny to say that the Spa rooms at 620ft are small.

As for the parking lot, well I was there recently and probably in and with the rental car about 7-8 times, never used the valet and never took me more than 2 minutes to find a spot.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Stayed at Bellagio for the first time back in May of 2000, and at that time it was the best place in town. That started to change shortly thereafter when MGM took over Mirage Resorts. I remember talking to Bellagio employees after the takeover who mentioned some of the little things that were changing under MGM's management, such as carpets in public areas not being replaced as frequently as Mr. Wynn had always insisted on, fewer employees in the pool area, etc. Just small stuff at first, but the handwriting was definitely on the wall. We switched to Wynn as soon as it opened and have never looked back. I want to try MO, but it's tough for me to pass up a Wynn Tower Suite and my favorite cabana at the rear TS pool.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by scented
I agree to some extent, especially regarding the hotel scene there. Don't know what your reservations are when it comes to fine dining? I think Vegas has very decent cuisine, and something for everyone. I have had some amazing dinner in Vegas - Joel Robuchon, Picasso, Guy Savoy and Twist by Pierre Gagnaire come to my mind. All of the upper end 'chains' are there too, namely anything Wolfang Puck, Nobu obviously, Hakkasan... It is not Tokyo, Hong Kong or Paris, but I'd just fly to Vegas for dining, it is that good. Those cute little restaurants like in Paris that serve amazing food, have a Michelin star or two, hardly known, discreet, with the highest level of service and maybe an owner that is present and hands-on... never going to happen there, Vegas is and always will be endlessly commercial.

Hotel-wise bit more difficult, but you have to take the town for what it is. Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons and some suites at the Wynn come closest to our, if I understand you correctly, definition of luxury.

Las Vegas is not my idea of the perfect vacation, or the perfect hotel, but it works astoundingly well if you can play the game. True, you are nothing there (and treated accordingly) if you are not a high roller or of some other importance to the 3 or 4 big corporations. But lately much has changed and moved away from gaming and gambling alone. And I give Steve Wynn a lot of credit for that, because he has always been so passionate about non-gaming revenue and has pushed the boundaries over and over again with his resorts. At the time, Bellagio was groundbreaking and even today I enjoy the villas at the Wynn, despite the size of the entire operation. He is a true visionary and has brought world-class entertainment there.

Interestingly, the typical Vegas clientele is the same you would find in the Bahamas or in any of the Kerzner hotels. Very show-y. Plus today everything is about the nightclubs anyway, which are the new gambling.
Very interesting analysis, thank you.

Yes MO and FS for sure are best choices as nearly everywhere in the world, but do you "feel being in Vegas" in those "perfect" internationally luxury styled hotels? Never been to Las Vegas, plan to go there early next year. My idea was Bellagio, but now following the comments here I would choose Wynn (or Encore?), a better room or suite, what do you think. I am not gambling, or 50 or 100 Dollars roulette per evening for fun, more enjoying the atmosphere having a drink and so.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:41 pm

If you want an oasis to escape from, both FS and MO are your best bet. Make sure to book a strip-view suite to get a sense of place. Avoid entry-level rooms or suites at MO, as they are on lower floors and have awful views. FS in Vegas is particularly accommodating in terms of upgrading (and upselling), so if you want to keep an eye out for specialty suites, this is the place. Both hotels are not your typical Vegas hotels, so if you want that - a Tower Suite at the Wynn is excellent. The Tony Chi designed Skylofts sit on top of MGM and had some better reviews back in the day - I honestly don't know what it is like these days. I would be careful. So, from your comment I assume you might be happy at the Wynn. It's a fun hotel, if you take it for what it is. But you will have to book a higher category to get a comparable experience to MO for example. If you book a standard room at the Wynn - you will invariably end up waiting 30 min+ for check-in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.