Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris: MO vs Four Seasons

Paris: MO vs Four Seasons

Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by CGRA
FS SPA I can understand

But why do you like the Bristol SPA ?
While I love this hotel, I don't like this small added SPA, single shower, no steam / sauna (yes one small private steam next to the vichy shower that you can use if available plus a steam shower in the dual cabin).
Treatment quality. I prefer private steam showers in spa suites to communal facilities anyway, and also like vichy shower massage treatments.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CGRA

The second person who checked me out was very nice (the same who booked me by phone and e-mail me to confirm)
Speaking about the pen, the top floor restaurant (L'oiseau something) is very good. While the menu is a little limited the food is tasty and service is very good. One of the sommelier was coming from robuchon.
I've heard great things about the F&B there but just don't get around to your part of the world.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:13 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I am an adventurous luxury traveler who tends to spend far more time in remote locales than in the big cities--unlike the majority of FTers in the luxury hotels forum, as far as I can tell. But Paris is one of the few cities where I'd spend more than a few nights--partly for the incredible shopping, partly for the incredible dining, and partly because it's just a beautiful city.

In Paris, I far prefer the Vendome area. The shopping is right up my alley, and it feels close enough to everywhere I want to be without being as touristy as the Golden Triangle area IMHO. I like the Vendome so much that as an SPG Platinum, I usually use award stays at the Westin Vendome (which always upgrades me to a junior suite or proper suite) instead of the Prince de Galles, even though the PdG is far more luxurious. I've also stayed at the Hotel de Vendome (their Presidential Suite is incredible and a steal for a price) and the PH (I like it a lot).

I prefer the MO to the FS, though I've never stayed at either. I've had lunches and dinners at both, and have been many times to the bars at both. I've toured the rooms and suites at both. I could care less about spas. I like the style and more modern chic feel of the MO over that of the FS traditional but updated "palace" ambience. If I'm going to pay for a stay between them, it will be at the MO.

If I'm going to stay in the Golden Triange, the PdG is far more my style than the FS.

Obviously, all of these are wonderful hotels. Go with your gut and pick the one that seems to best suit your style and amenity preferences (not to mention budget). Even though we can afford any of these, we just don't see the value add for the FS for us. There are FS hotels that we love far more than the competition...but the FSGV isn't one of them.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:00 am

My pick would be MO

Despite both being excellent hotels, I loved the modern feel of MO. I thought the rooms and bathrooms were very spacious. Service was very personalized and excellent.

I really also enjoyed the location of the hotel as there is always something within walking distance.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:39 am

No one does a terrace quite like MO, which is why I love the courtyards of the Parisian and Milanese MOs. They get the service right, too. I am a little hesitant towards the rooms and suites though, as it is bit like staying in the pages of Elle Decoration or a furniture showroom. The newer designs though, such as Marrakech, are truly excellent. Would love to see more of that.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:00 am

MO Marrkech is in a whole different league - simply superb!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
MO Marrkech is in a whole different league - simply superb!
Very pleased to see that. I was looking into going there next year.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Very pleased to see that. I was looking into going there next year.
I've also heard good things about the spa!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Thought I'd provide all of you with a brief update after our stay at the Plaza Athenee. It was probably the best hotel stay I've ever had, the view of the eiffel tower for our balconies was magical and the breakfast room has to be one of the most spectacular anywhere with food and drink to match. The whole property felt intimate, warm, and welcoming, and service was top notch everywhere. I will say that the room quality with regards to the bathroom fixtures was probably 8.5/10 whereas FS is normally 9.5-10. However, we walked through both the MO and FS and found the MO rather dark and depressing, and even the FS didn't feel as warm and welcoming as the Plaza.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:57 pm

This is interesting, Plaza Athénée doesn't get much love here.

I thought on a recent visit that FS is hard to beat these days. José Silva has many great ideas for the hotel and the vibe I got from the team is 'we need to change' - they just get better and better. Le George is a sensation and what a great decision to put this into the hands of such a young and enthusiastic team. Exactly the right persons chosen for the task. You can feel their passion and fire. The concept was not an easy task to establish in the Parisian dining scene but it now works astoundingly well - I can see why. Le Cinq finally has its third star back (well deserved), so job well done for Christian Le Squer and the Spa on the 4th floor (long delayed) is now on its way, in addition to a new, larger pool (watch out, Peninsula). The marble courtyard terrace will be totally transformed, unfortunately dining al fresco will be a thing of the past but I'm curious to see what they come up with. Quite a bit of renovations happening right now - in a most discreet manner. Especially the terrace, hard to notice as everything is mirrored out. Flowers beautiful as ever, Concierge could need a polish but other than that - this is the place to be. The renovated rooms and suites are a great success, especially the Presidential - wow! Suites sell first in this market and they now have a much better product.

MO still a bit lackluster (for my taste), don't see what their selling point is? Peninsula might have the priciest hardware but the service is still lightyears away from where it should be. Not quite sure how Bristol is doing, after it dropped out of Gallivanter's Reader Awards this year. Park Hyatt Vendôme needs to position itself a bit better, I miss some of the charismatic young team members that used to shine back in the day - seems FS is getting all of them! Sad as I love their new-generation Ambassador Suites, which are just stunning. I do feel as though Park Hyatt is underestimated here. Ritz is delayed to June (I doubt it will be that early).

In general, January is always a slow time for Paris but I have never, never seen the city that empty and quiet. Occupancy hovers in the 20ish...% in all Parisian palaces (with a few exceptions), they really suffer. I hope it picks up fast but it is so competitive, especially with all of the new hotels coming back up online soon.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
I prefer the treatments at Le Bristol and overall service at the hotel is absolutely, incredibly fantastic. The pool at Shangri-La is quite nice and better than MO Paris in my opinion. While location of Shang Paris is not as convenient, I like the property and have had very good experiences there with very attentive service. They apparently have many notes in my guest profile.

I'm an MO Fan and while I've stayed at MO Paris several times it falls short of my expectations especially when compared to other MO properties like Landmark Mandarin and MO Tokyo. As far as the MO Paris Spa, it's ok. Spa suite concept is nice but not exceptional. Actually haven't stayed at FSGV, as I'd rather stay at Le Bristol and Shang Paris. I am curious about La Reserve as well as Ritz when it opens. Le Crillon and Cheval Blanc will certainly make things interesting when they open.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
I prefer the treatments at Le Bristol and overall service at the hotel is absolutely, incredibly fantastic. The pool at Shangri-La is quite nice and better than MO Paris in my opinion. While location of Shang Paris is not as convenient, I like the property and have had very good experiences there with very attentive service. They apparently have many notes in my guest profile.

I'm an MO Fan and while I've stayed at MO Paris several times it falls short of my expectations especially when compared to other MO properties like Landmark Mandarin and MO Tokyo. As far as the MO Paris Spa, it's ok. Spa suite concept is nice but not exceptional. Actually haven't stayed at FSGV, as I'd rather stay at Le Bristol and Shang Paris. I am curious about La Reserve as well as Ritz when it opens. Le Crillon and Cheval Blanc will certainly make things interesting when they open.
Agree about your take on the Bristol.
La Réserve on the other hand isn't worth it. Rooms are nice, but the F&B leaves a lot to be desired and the atmosphere of the whole place is strange. It's pretty empty and has no personality. You wouldn't even notice that you're in a hotel and the décor of the public areas is standard Jacques Garcia, a carbon copy of the Costes, but without the ambiance.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Agree about your take on the Bristol.
La Réserve on the other hand isn't worth it. Rooms are nice, but the F&B leaves a lot to be desired and the atmosphere of the whole place is strange. It's pretty empty and has no personality. You wouldn't even notice that you're in a hotel and the décor of the public areas is standard Jacques Garcia, a carbon copy of the Costes, but without the ambiance.
Thanks for the tip on La Réserve, appreciate it. Can tell from The Daily Shot and your recent QR F trip report that we appreciate some of the same finer things. BTW, congrats on your engagement.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Four Seasons Paris

What are they doing to the Terrace such that it won't be used for dining?

I'm also curious as to when the new pool and spa will be complete. Does anyone know?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
Thanks for the tip on La Réserve, appreciate it. Can tell from The Daily Shot and your recent QR F trip report that we appreciate some of the same finer things. BTW, congrats on your engagement.
Thanks a lot Mr. Strong...
I'm also an MO fan, but I agree that the Paris property is a bit of a let down.
You should definitely try the George V on one of your next visits, it is (together with the Bristol) the finest hotel in Paris IMO, much better than the Shangri-La.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.