Paris: MO vs Four Seasons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris: MO vs Four Seasons

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
And if you can only afford an entry level room at these hotels I would suggest moving downmarket and booking a suite at a lesser hotel for the same money. I personally love the Intercontinental Le Grand for its Club and location (next to the Opera Garnier). It's not as great a hotel as the FS or MO, but it is still a really good hotel and the Club service is excellent.
I disagree here, I think a Superior Room at FS GV is still better than having more space and a club lounge at IC or other such hotels. There is always a chance of a preferred partner upgrade, and at some other hotels like le Bristol, Plaza Athenee and Le Meurice, there are automatic confirmed upgrades for Vituoso and Diamond Club bookings (respectively). This means that one should never have to stay in an entry level room, and for a slightly higher rate one can be confirmed in a spacious Junior Suite.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I personally love the Intercontinental Le Grand for its Club and location (next to the Opera Garnier).
It´s an official 4 star now... My parents stayed here recently and found it totally awful and worn down. 10 years ago it was on a high level...
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I disagree here, I think a Superior Room at FS GV is still better than having more space and a club lounge at IC or other such hotels. There is always a chance of a preferred partner upgrade, and at some other hotels like le Bristol, Plaza Athenee and Le Meurice, there are automatic confirmed upgrades for Vituoso and Diamond Club bookings (respectively). This means that one should never have to stay in an entry level room, and for a slightly higher rate one can be confirmed in a spacious Junior Suite.
He didn't say he was using FHR or Virtuoso, etc. But yes if by hook or by crook you can get an upgraded room, then fine. But I wouldn't want to stay in a Superior myself.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
It´s an official 4 star now... My parents stayed here recently and found it totally awful and worn down. 10 years ago it was on a high level...
Sorry about your parents, but I stay at Le Grand a dozen times or more per year. I know the hotel well and it isn't at all awful or worn down. But I don't spend much time in the lower level rooms. The suites are great. And it is actually better now than it was 10 years ago.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

I would be using virtuoso so I would book a deluxe room at FS and hopefully get a premier room. At MO I would hopefully end up in a junior suite
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by j123456
For my stay the total difference between the two comes out to 2.2k euros..pretty substantial so unless the FS is that spectacular. Although this is my first visit to Paris so the location is important as well
Since you're staying 11 nights maybe you should try both hotels?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would be using virtuoso so I would book a deluxe room at FS and hopefully get a premier room. At MO I would hopefully end up in a junior suite
Again, if the hotel experience is really important, then a Premier room at the FS would be great.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I am not sure why everyone is joining the chorus singing praises for the 4S. Sure the public areas like the lobby, restaurant and bar are charming but one doesnt need to be a staying guest to enjoy these. I find the room ( I got upgraded to an Exec Suite ) to be mediocre in every aspect and very poor value for the money, totally underwhelming. Service was also poor during my stay in particular, the concierge. Granted I only stayed for one night so it might be a one off or my expectation was just way too high.

I have also tried the MO when it just opened and it was fine but did not blow me away. Overall, Paris is such an expensive city that in terms of hotel quality, one has to folk out vast sum of money for so called "luxury" and even that, depending on luck, cold be a toss up. If you are going to spend most of your time outside sightseeing ( and be careful of pickpockets ), a functional hotel without all the pompous excesses such as the Intercontinental might actully be a better choice.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I am not sure why everyone is joining the chorus singing praises for the 4S. Sure the public areas like the lobby, restaurant and bar are charming but one doesnt need to be a staying guest to enjoy these. I find the room ( I got upgraded to an Exec Suite ) to be mediocre in every aspect and very poor value for the money, totally underwhelming. Service was also poor during my stay in particular, the concierge. Granted I only stayed for one night so it might be a one off or my expectation was just way too high.

I have also tried the MO when it just opened and it was fine but did not blow me away. Overall, Paris is such an expensive city that in terms of hotel quality, one has to folk out vast sum of money for so called "luxury" and even that, depending on luck, cold be a toss up. If you are going to spend most of your time outside sightseeing ( and be careful of pickpockets ), a functional hotel without all the pompous excesses such as the Intercontinental might actully be a better choice.
I agree we are actually staying in a much cheaper 3 star during the days we will be out and about for the first few nights then switching over to the "nice" hotel after which is why I am looking for the best
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I agree we are actually staying in a much cheaper 3 star during the days we will be out and about for the first few nights then switching over to the "nice" hotel after which is why I am looking for the best
I would take Four Seasons over MO. The only thing I like about MO Paris is their bar and spa.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:36 pm

Again, if the hotel experience is really important, then a Premier room at the FS would be great.
+1
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
If you're looking for the best then forget about the MO. The FS is definitely superior in so many ways. But as others have said make sure to get an upgrade by using the right travel agent. An entry-level room at the FS isn't going to blow you away. The Paris hotel market is absurdly overpriced and even if you spend a lot you don't necessarily get your money's worth. I'd even consider staying in a much cheaper 3-4 star property the whole time and spending the money you saved on restaurants. If you choose the right ones you'll have meals that you'll remember for the rest of your life, which can't be said for the hotels unless you're ready to spend more than 1000 euros per night (and even then the wow factor isn't guaranteed).
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best right now might be the Peninsula or Shangri-La. But those are super expensive. Maybe the Bristol?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The best right now might be the Peninsula or Shangri-La. But those are super expensive. Maybe the Bristol?
Last time I wanted to book a suite in Paris (March 2015) Shangri-La was pretty "cheap" considering Paris-standards. An entire level suite was 2450 € for 3 nights, a Duplex around 2700 €
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Last time I wanted to book a suite in Paris (March 2015) Shangri-La was pretty "cheap" considering Paris-standards. An entire level suite was 2450 € for 3 nights, a Duplex around 2700 €
Those were very well priced!
I find Peninsula to be very soulless. A carbon copy of the techie Peninsulas in Asia without the excellent service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.