Best Caribbean Hotels

Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:50 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Best Caribbean Hotels

Hi all,

I am currently looking at visiting the Caribbean in March next year with my other half.

I am weighing up options for hotels, and have looked at Carlisle Bay, The Inn at English Harbour, and Peter Island. The former two are on Antigua, while the latter is within the BVI's. I have also looked at Malliouhana on Anguilla which looks stunning.

As we will be travelling from the UK, Antigua is the easier option. Peter Island appears to be a real hassle to reach, and having read through http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...islands-3.html, I'm still not sure about it. The website makes it look lovely, but I'm no fool!

I would be looking to travel for around 9-10 days, and would likely budget $9,000 - $11,000.

I have never been to the Caribbean, so am a total newbie on the area!

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Oct 29, 2015 at 9:26 am
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:08 am

A newer option is Belmont Farm on Nevis - http://www.bellemontfarm.com/ - designed by Bill Bensley - a completely different and authentic take on the Caribbean.

Otherwise, Malliouhana on Anguilla is an easy hop from Antigua and is a very good option.

On Antigua itself, Jumby Bay would be my choice - managed by Rosewood.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:34 am

First of all, decide on your island and what you want from it. If you simply want to flop at the resort and never leave, consider an all-inclusive, of which there are many in this area. Jumby Bay is on an off-shore island so ideal for that. Personally, I like to explore the islands and some of them are ideally suited to car hire, especially Antigua and Barbados. Look into the scenery of the islands as they are quite different - Antigua is relatively flat and scrubby while St Lucia is almost Polynesian. I've been to every single Caribbean island except Haiti and I've been to several resorts in the BVIs, including Peter Island. On Anguilla, I was at Malliouhana recently as well as Cap Juluca - both would be excellent choices, with the former having had a recent refurb. I also happen to adore La Samanna on St Martin which has real Riviera-style glamour and amazing food. You might also look at St Barts as well as Nevis where you should perhaps avoid the big Four Seasons and opt for one of the small boutique places in the hills. All these places are easily combinable with a stay on Antigua.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thanks for the responses vuittonsofstyle and Pausanias.

In terms of activities, we want to flop on the beach, but also have access to other areas and other things to do - there's only a certain amount of time that one can lie and fry!

I like the look of Peter Island, but I think it will be too difficult to reach from London; at least with only a 10 day window.

In terms of Malliouhana, I am favouring towards it, but wondered if there is more to do on the island of Anguilla?

I like Antigua, and it seems to have the most to do, but I suppose I am torn between finding an island which has enough to do, and yet which is 'not too touristy'!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:12 pm

Another vote for Cap Juluca. Lovely resort, very intimate and good service. Anguilla itself was IMHO not much of a highlight, but it's easy reachable from Sint Maarten and you could make a very nice combo with St Barts.

To be avoided: Grace Bay in Turks & Caicos. Over rated and over priced with bad service. Turks & Caicos is wonderful but Aman would be the far better choice.

And @Pausianas: I have only visited about 4 islands, including Haiti. I did only see the airport but even that was more than enough .
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:18 pm

Anguilla is a flat, boring island in my view but there are these rather spectacular hotels and arguably the best beaches in this part of the Caribbean. Antigua is certainly more interesting than Anguilla and definitely worth hiring a car for a day. The view from Shirley Heights is a Caribbean classic. Bear in mind that almost all islands are 'touristy' and that Americans descend in hordes right through the year. I'm doing a week in Antigua in March at an all-inclusive called Galley Bay which I've not tried before. Another option is Curtain Bluff which is pretty much 'old school' though the dress code is relaxed these days.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Traveling the Caribbean regularly for 56 years and my first two choices would be the Viceroy on Anguilla or the Resort at Canouan on Canouan Island
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:40 pm
Original Member

Agree Anguilla is a flat, boring island however the white sand beaches and clear turquoise water are superb for flopping and relaxation. There is tennis and golf if you care to work up some energy. Perfer Cap Juluca over Malliouhana -- better and easier beach access. Cap is downright spectacular.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:13 pm

In addition to great beaches, Anguilla has some of the best restaurants in the Caribbean, and it's easy to drive around and try all of them. As someone who loves food, I found this a nice "thing to do" in addition to relaxing at the hotel. We also heard there was a good local party scene certain nights of the week.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by katesy
In addition to great beaches, Anguilla has some of the best restaurants in the Caribbean, and it's easy to drive around and try all of them. As someone who loves food, I found this a nice "thing to do" in addition to relaxing at the hotel. We also heard there was a good local party scene certain nights of the week.
Agree 100% with this. We never dined so well on a Caribbean vacation. We enjoyed Anguilla but I agree, there isn't a lot to do off the beach.

We have been visiting the USVI and BVIs for 20 years and we love the islands. You will be isolated at Peter Island. I think the resort runs a water taxi back and forth to Tortola but if you want to explore, it isn't a great choice.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
A newer option is Belmont Farm on Nevis - http://www.bellemontfarm.com/ - designed by Bill Bensley - a completely different and authentic take on the Caribbean.

Otherwise, Malliouhana on Anguilla is an easy hop from Antigua and is a very good option.

On Antigua itself, Jumby Bay would be my choice - managed by Rosewood.
I may be confused-but I thought Belmont is on St. Kitts?
But more importantly--what is important to you for your holiday? Fine dining--Aguilla is supposed to be superb plus they have the whitest beaches with turquoise waters!
Ease of driving-I can only say Nevis was easy because it is small and no traffic lights. Did not drive on any other islands.
I stayed Peter Island and loved it but you are isolated.
Your budget is fine--perhaps narrow down what is important to you. Shopping, dining, tennis, golf, water sports, historical sights, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:54 pm

How about Barbados? Direct flight. It's fun and there's quite a bit to see/do. Sandy Lane would be the typical choice, but there are other good options.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:36 pm

My suggestion would be the Viceroy Sugar Beach on St Lucia - truly stunning location in a world heritage site although it's not the pure white sand and turquoise seas that we in the UK imagine the Caribbean to be. The villas/ rooms all have private plunge pools and having stayed at many hotels discussed on this forum I would consider the service to be amongst the best I've had anywhere. There are other dining opportunities nearby such the restaurant at Boucan - Hotel Chocolat - http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/restaurants/about .

The Carlisle Bay is also lovely although I haven't stayed. I've visited when friends stayed and had a walk around. Lovely beach.

Both Antigua and St Lucia are interesting islands with other things to see and do other than lie on the beach. And both are easy journeys from the UK.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the really helpful responses!

In terms of hotel choices, I think I have now narrowed it down to either Carlisle Bay, Cap Juluca or Malliouhana. The former is obviously Antigua, and the latter two Anguilla.

My OH and I are both foodies, so the appeal of great food, in addition to lovely beaches, is an easy win for Anguilla! However, reaching Anguilla seems to be challenging from the UK - I appreciate you fly to SXM, but doing so from London isn't easy. Antigua on the other hand, is a direct flight (albeit on a shtummer BA aircraft).

I looked at Barbados, and indeed at the Boucan Hotel (albeit as a hotel not restaurant). I felt Barbados was a bit 'done'. I like places which people don't necessarily immediately think of, hence Anguilla and to a lesser degree, Antigua.

I'll spend today looking into the best routings, and then decide between the two islands and hotels.

Massive thanks to vuittonsofstyle, Epicura, Pausanias, worldspan, KatW, katesy, Lovethecabin, AA_ORDlady, erik123 and quitecontrary for all the suggestions and tips!
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:15 am

Anguilla is an easy flight from Antigua. I don't know Carlisle Bay so can't comment on that. As for the two Anguilla hotels, I would say that the best hotel might be Malliouhana because of its very recent refurb. It is a lovely design. The drawback is it's set on a high bluff which means quite a hike to the beaches and the main beach is shared with several other hotels. And at the end of the beach, easily visible, is the big ugly bulk of the Viceroy which looks like a power station.

Cap Juluca has by far the better beach and possibly the best beach on the island. The hotel is still extremely smart and sympathetically designed.

Personally I'd split my trip between the two islands.

I have a dozen pics of Anguilla here, including Malliouhana and CJ -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/up70mm...57660524238206

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 31, 2015 at 6:23 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.