Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Venice with children - Gritti or Cipriani?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL

Venice may be a terrible tourist trap these days but nonetheless one's first visit to the city should be special, befitting its iconic status.

Which would you choose if you had two boys under ten who have never been to Venice before: the relatively more child friendly outdoor amenities of the Cipriani or the exciting Grand Canal location of the Gritti?

Or somewhere else?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:17 am

I would stay at the Gritti - they will absolutely love all the activity outside their window and just being able to to walk out to everything. We first stayed when one of our boys was under 10 and I know he absolutely loved it. You can have a swimming pool anywhere - even if it is the biggest in Venice.

On the other hand if George Clooney is staying ( I know he's married but you never know!) Mrs Baghoarder may prefer the Cipriani.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:59 am
Suspended

Gritti
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:05 am

They're entirely different properties which are not even remotely comparable; in style or cost. It should be an easy decision based on the type of traveler that you are. One is a modern (1960s?) resort hotel on a private island that inaccessible to the city except by boat. It's sprawling and teeming with guests. The other is a conveniently situated boutique hotel in an opulent centuries old palazzo with a more restricted capacity; i.e. far less crowded. If traveling with kids and you place a higher value on resort amenities like swimming pool, tennis courts, fitness center, etc. then the Cipriani is the way to go. Personally, you can find that in any city; I'd value the things which make Venice unique. Then again, were booked at the Gritti for 10 nights next fall in a Giglio Prestige room. I purposefully booked late in the season, during a slower tourism period, because we have some status with Starwood and I'm really hoping for an upgrade to a Grand Canal Room with a bit of added persuasion from our Virtuoso rep. I think the fact that we're staying for so many nights might also work in our favor.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
If you look for resort-facilities JW could be a good option. Reviews so far are pretty good
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:39 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Our kids loved staying at the Gritti when they were young. So much to see and do from that location. Definitely, the Gritti.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:40 am

While aspects of the JW Marriott like the swimming pool look appealing, I don't think I could ever bring myself to stay there or at similar properties like the St. Regis. Those properties look like they could be good for business functions or large events, but they don't appeal to me as a leisure traveller.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB
resort...sprawling and teeming with guests

more restricted capacity; i.e. far less crowded
95 room cipriani
82 room gritti

http://www.belmond.com/hotel-ciprian...cation_and_map
"complimentary 24-hour boat service..Piazzetta San Marco"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 9, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Did JW with a 7 and 4 year old in August.

Plus - kids loved boat trip to island, lots of outdoor space, rooftop pool is very shallow so great for kids (bad for adults as full of kids), decent breakfast buffet

Negatives - kids club has been closed down to create more meeting space, outdoor pool is the biggest joke ever (you have a whole island and you build a teeny tiny pool?), kids playground is worse than most parents have in their gardens
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
95 room cipriani
82 room gritti
Surely more day guests at the Cipriani? From all reports I've heard that it feels a lot more crowded but that might also be the layout of public space, whereas the Gritti is a smaller property which exudes a more intimate feel, presumably. Eitherway, the fact that the Cipriani is isolated on it's own island would rule it out for me, as the beauty of Venice is found wandering her narrow streets and maze-like alleys in the early morning and late night hours.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I would stay at the Gritti - they will absolutely love all the activity outside their window and just being able to to walk out to everything. We first stayed when one of our boys was under 10 and I know he absolutely loved it. You can have a swimming pool anywhere - even if it is the biggest in Venice.

On the other hand if George Clooney is staying ( I know he's married but you never know!) Mrs Baghoarder may prefer the Cipriani.
Thank you for the tip. I am Mrs Baghoarder. . But Mr Baghoarder loves the Cip too!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, the Gritti it is! Sounds much more our style overall, and we'll just have spent two weeks in a villa in Tuscany so a resort environment probably isn't necessary.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:56 pm

I would veto the Marriott just based upon location, if your intention is to have your children experience Venice!

I would also pass on the Gritti though, in your situation.

Our stay last summer was in a beautiful, modern, well located apartment (Dorsoduro). Close to everything by vaporetto or walking. Great restaurants all around. Shopped upon arrival so we has some basics on hand when we were relaxing in the apartment (and breakfasts).

Of course, our styles may differ, in which case your kids may prefer the wonderful elements of the Gritti.

For us though, the location, the large (2 BR) space, and having our own 'home' better met our needs.

We did not find Venice to be too tourist overrun either, although there were plenty.

Find a good guide for a cicchetti tour, a food tour, or to walk the sites. A good guide (for us) was very helpful in showing us more of the city.

Cooking with Enrica Rocca (after you go to the market to buy your food) is highly recommended as well! If your kids would go for that kind of thing.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Thank you for the tip. I am Mrs Baghoarder. .
Haha - sorry about that! Not sure why I assumed that.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Venice may be a terrible tourist trap these days but nonetheless one's first visit to the city should be special, befitting its iconic status.

Which would you choose if you had two boys under ten who have never been to Venice before: the relatively more child friendly outdoor amenities of the Cipriani or the exciting Grand Canal location of the Gritti?

Or somewhere else?
I just got back from a week in Venice, my daughter and her two boys were there a month ago for the first time.( I have been there many times). They stayed at the Gritti and hope you do the same. I have two recommended restaurants for you and family. Venice is very expensive and if your boys are like my grandsons eating can a challenge! After eating at some of the "better" restaurants......I found two that I wished my family knew about. "Restaurante Wildner" and "Osteria Rivetta" . Great food, lots of locals at Rivetta.....must have reservations, lines were formed with 40 minute wait..and they waited! If you are there before the Biennale closes......its fun for everyone. If you need more info....PM me. Its one of my favorite cities! Grandma Steppie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.