Search

Bagan, Myanmar hotel advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
I am planning a very last minute Myanmar trip for late Dec and was pointed to this thread as I am pretty sure we are going to do Bagan in addition to Yangon. We have 2yr, 5yr and 6yr olds with us, so need some comfort and definitely a pool for them to dip into each day to refresh, but ideally I would like to be able to walk around with them in the evening.

Aureum Palace is sold out, it was our top choice.
Tharabar Gate seems like it should be our second choice, especially the walkability factor, and has some rooms available but not on dates we really want to be in Bagan.
Bagan Lodge is the only place that has consistent availability for the exact dates we want. It looks like a nice enough place, but it sounds like it is a taxi to everything from this place.

Any recs from people who have stayed at one or more with younger kids?

BTW- the pics and trip report links were appreciated, sealed the deal on making the trek up to Bagan
Since you already were going to need to take taxis if you'd stayed at Aureum Palace, I wouldn't be so concerned with the need for taxis if you stay at Bagan Lodge. If you want to visit Bagan for the dates you need them, then just accept it and stay at the Bagan Lodge. Bagan is so amazing that it will matter less where you stay and more that you got to visit--trust me! Pool, no pool, Bagan is worth it.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stephem
I am planning a very last minute Myanmar trip for late Dec and was pointed to this thread as I am pretty sure we are going to do Bagan in addition to Yangon. We have 2yr, 5yr and 6yr olds with us, so need some comfort and definitely a pool for them to dip into each day to refresh, but ideally I would like to be able to walk around with them in the evening.

Aureum Palace is sold out, it was our top choice.
Tharabar Gate seems like it should be our second choice, especially the walkability factor, and has some rooms available but not on dates we really want to be in Bagan.
Bagan Lodge is the only place that has consistent availability for the exact dates we want. It looks like a nice enough place, but it sounds like it is a taxi to everything from this place.

Any recs from people who have stayed at one or more with younger kids?

BTW- the pics and trip report links were appreciated, sealed the deal on making the trek up to Bagan
Call Aureum Palace directly, our travel agent and his partner in Burma were able to book it when the website showed "sold out".
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Call Aureum Palace directly, our travel agent and his partner in Burma were able to book it when the website showed "sold out".
Virtuoso On-sites (Destination Management Companies)
- A&K
- EXO Travel
- Trails of Indochina

Virtuoso Tour Operators
- Big Five Tours & Expeditions
- Remote Lands
- Tauck

wonder if virtuoso agents can book a la carte with some tour operators
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I wanted to report back that I have had several exchanges with the properties mentioned here in Bagan and found (1) their online inventory seems to be more accurate now (at least for this holiday period) and as much as I asked if they were holding any rooms back, the answer I got about availability tended to map pretty close to what they show online (and even what Expedia and Hotels.com etc show) and (2) notwithstanding the statements online about only 3 in room (including kids), they all said we were fine to stay as 5 in even a basic room (which would be tighter than I would like!).

In the end I have asked to be booked in two villa rooms at Bagan Lodge and they have said they will block the rooms such that we get two with a connecting door. We are there on Christmas Day, so hopefully I can get a balloon tour booked, I think my kids would remember that Christmas morning for many years to come!

I wish we had more advanced planning and maybe spent more time in Myanmar, I'd have liked to just handed dates off to a travel agent and been done, but this will be worth the hassles I am sure.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:02 pm

One odd thing to report on Bagan Lodge. Since they gave me a 14 day cancellation policy (from arrival date) I thought I would continue to look around for other options and last night (late enough here that I knew they would be online in Bagan) I found a rate for the exact rooms at Bagan Lodge on Agoda.com with the exact same amenities but for roughly $75 less per room per night (so a total of ~$300 savings over the 2 night stay, nothing to sneeze at). I probably should have just booked it and cancelled the one I had with the hotel after, because I sent them the screen shot and asked if they would match the price, and they responded in about 30 minutes that no they would not match it. I then clicked through the Agoda.com booking I had started, but the rooms and rate were gone. Seems odd that the inventory would disappear at the exact moment I was looking at it, but oh well...
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:25 am

Just arrived at Bagan Lodge, brief delay with driver getting us due to early arrival of Air KBZ flight from RGN (sounds like that is a first!).
Overall got a good feel from the place. I think 5 star is really pushing it, but it is perfectly acceptable. And to be honest, the two side by side rooms make up one entire villa and that is a great layout for a family.
We made friends with Grace at the Shangri La in RGN and her good friend Francis is the manager here, so Grace called ahead and helped with room placement (so we're right near the main pool) and babysitting (day 7 of our travels & I sense our two younger ones need some break time).
There is a Christmas Eve dinner tonight, normally I boycott these things, but they have a Santa, puppet show and plenty of activities for kids, so we'll give that a go.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:51 am

Sounds good - Merry Christmas.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Just stayed 4 nights at the Bagan Lodge and have a few things to report.

Complimentary driver was waiting for us right outside the airport and quickly got us to the hotel (only issue I had was he didn't have the A/C on and cold in the van, had obviously been waiting a bit). Check-in was a bit of a cluster... I booked through Citi Prestige concierge to get 4th night free benefit, but there must've been something lost in translation as the hotel only had me registered for 3 nights. My confirmation from Citi clearly showed 4. It was a bit of a language barrier, but after about 30 minutes it got resolved.

We were in room/villa 54 which was right near the main pool. At first I didn't like it, I kinda like being tucked away at places like this, but after a few walks to/from the front desk, it was nice to be close to reception. The property itself seemed pretty dead, maybe 25-30% occupancy (judging by breakfast and happy hour crowds). Our rate included breakfast (I think it's included for all guests). The breakfast buffet is fine, but not all that extensive. Juices, pastries, cheese/"meat", and 4-6 hot items. Happy hour offers 2 for 1 drinks 4-7 every night, which was nice. The local Gin with which they make G&T's is decent.

Because of our schedule, we ate dinner every night at the hotel (really early mornings every day, we were zonked and wanted to eat in). The food is of average hotel quality, and varied cuisines. The local dishes were all good, but we had better lunches at other spots around town (7 Sisters twice!).

We rented scooters every day, $10/scooter/day, which is the going rate everywhere else. Nice to not have a markup. The scooters are in excellent condition, comfortable, and when I noticed at the sites the other rented scooters people had, I was really happy with what we were given. We'd return just after noon each day, hang out by the pool for a bit, then leave again around 4pm, with a new fully charged (and spotless) scooter. Great experience there!

We also got spa treatments, which are appropriately priced for a resort/hotel in Bagan. We both got the full 4-treatment package (3.5 hours). This was a bit for both of us to handle all at once and we both only made it 1/2 through before asking the rest to be completed the next day, which they happily obliged. The treatments were fine, but not anywhere near the best we've had.

Lastly, I can't say enough about the staff. All of them seemed genuinely happy to have us there, knew our names, our drink, and food preferences, and were always smiling. They helped with a few requests throughout the stay including some issues with our balloon reservation, a request for a driver, and a few others.

Overall, truly a great place from which to venture out in the amazing city of Bagan and also have a bit of relaxation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.