Search

San Diego, CA, Hotel Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

San Diego, CA, Hotel Recommendation

Hi all,

Thanks in advice for any advice.

We're off on our Honeymoon next year, and the last 3 days are now going to be in San Diego (managed to snag a couple of BA F seats home!)

Our itinerary is San Francisco - Vegas - Maui - Big Island - LA - San Diego.

I've been struggling to get a definite answer on the 'best' hotel to go for in San Diego... All our hotels in the other destinations are booked already.
We'll have plenty of beach time in Hawaii and 'city' experiences elsewhere, so I was thinking perhaps a location out in the countryside for something a bit different would be ideal to round off the trip. We would of course want to take a trip into the city to visit the zoo, so nothing too far away!

I've found the Grand Del Mar, but not much else. Does this fit the bill? We play a bit of golf, so looked at the Lodge at Torrey Pines too, but I don't want a stay completely based around Golf.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:50 am

My favorite in San Diego is the Grand Del Mar by a good margin. Stunning resort, beautiful location, fantastic food and service. All of its awards are well-deserved. I stayed before Fairmont took over management, but hopefully the same high standards are still being maintained.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...san-diego.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24840245-post21.html
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I wonder if Rancho Valencia fits the bill.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:51 pm

While not luxury, go up to Alpine if you really want country . if you want to play golf, go to la Costa.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Grand del Mar would be a unique experience.

Alternatives could be something right in La Jolla village or the U S Grant (historic hotel in downtown San Diego) in a large suite.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I stayed at PH Aviara and US Grant. While US Grant is a very nice hotel (had a Signature Suite) you can´t compare it to Del Mar or Aviara. It´s a City hotel.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Grand Del Mar is the best choice. Not only is it the nicest hotel but the location will give you a different experience from the other properties on your itinerary.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:54 pm

Grand Del Mar has the best service... It's VERY rococo. Grounds are nice, spa is excellent and Addison is technically perfect food by William Bradley. Racho Valencia is a bit more private with there casitas. I like it more and more these days and they have a great spa and fitness program.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
I stayed at PH Aviara and US Grant. While US Grant is a very nice hotel (had a Signature Suite) you can´t compare it to Del Mar or Aviara. It´s a City hotel.
I have only stayed one night at PH Aviara, apparently in what was their presidential suite, but while it's a very nice place, the service was far from luxury level. However, I don't have experience at the other hotels mentioned in this thread to compare it against.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the advice, I have gone ahead and booked the Grand Del Mar for our stay, hopefully it will be good!

In case anyone is mildly interested, this means that the hotels for our whole honeymoon are as follows, I've tried to get a good mix of styles, locations and experiences:

San Francisco - Ritz Carlton
Vegas - Aria Sky Suites
Maui - Hotel Wailea
Big Island - Four Seasons Hualalai
LA - Peninsula Beverly Hills
San Diego - Grand Del Mar

We're actually only able to get 4 days on each Hawaiian island, and I would love to have longer! Hopefully that will be enough time to relax though, and not feel like we're constantly about to set off for the next stage of the trip. We've got 3 days each in SFO, Vegas, LA and San Diego, and then 4 days on each Hawaiian island. My wife-to-be has never been to the US before so we wanted to combine a good mix of destinations and some relaxation.

Last edited by GreatBritishBAECOff; Oct 5, 2015 at 10:22 am
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the advice, I have gone ahead and booked the Grand Del Mar for our stay, hopefully it will be good!

In case anyone is mildly interested, this means that the hotels for our whole honeymoon are as follows, I've tried to get a good mix of styles, locations and experiences:

San Francisco - Ritz Carlton
Vegas - Aria Sky Suites
Maui - Hotel Wailea
Big Island - Four Seasons Hualalai
LA - Peninsula Beverly Hills
San Diego - Grand Del Mar
Should be nice! Have fun
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
Hi all,

Thanks in advice for any advice.

We're off on our Honeymoon next year, and the last 3 days are now going to be in San Diego (managed to snag a couple of BA F seats home!)

Our itinerary is San Francisco - Vegas - Maui - Big Island - LA - San Diego.

I've been struggling to get a definite answer on the 'best' hotel to go for in San Diego... All our hotels in the other destinations are booked already.
We'll have plenty of beach time in Hawaii and 'city' experiences elsewhere, so I was thinking perhaps a location out in the countryside for something a bit different would be ideal to round off the trip. We would of course want to take a trip into the city to visit the zoo, so nothing too far away!

I've found the Grand Del Mar, but not much else. Does this fit the bill? We play a bit of golf, so looked at the Lodge at Torrey Pines too, but I don't want a stay completely based around Golf.

Thanks for any advice.
What are you looking for in the hotel? Hotel Del Coronado is a great place to stay, lots of history, wonderful location on the island of Coronado, close to Downtown San Diego.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:47 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Foodie SD recommendation: Juniper & Ivy

My husband and I just returned from a business trip stay at the US Grant (which we very much enjoyed). While there, we took several friends/colleagues to dinner at Juniper and Ivy, and I must say we were blown away. The ambience is energetic yet fine and relaxed at the same time, and the food and service were incredible. Michelin level dining, to be sure. The dining room is a bit loud, but that comes with the energy and didn't distract from our fabulous meal. Highly recommended.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
I'm reviving this thread for some ideas. We have a reservation at Rancho Valencia for three nights coming up. I think the nightly rate was around $500 or more /night and I think we have a free night via FHR. However, we can stay via FHR at US Grant for $176/night, and the fairmont with a free third night for 445. Coronado isn't a FHR but rate is 333. We are DINKs in our early 30s spending a few days before a family event in LA so we want something nice and relaxing, but my husband wants to explore San Diego so not sure Rancho is the best option as he doesn't love to just stay on the hotel grounds. Any thoughts?

Last edited by floridagal23; Nov 30, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.