Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tipping FS front desk for very helpful service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping FS front desk for very helpful service?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Often1
First, at a FS, it's unlikely that the FD clerk remembers anything.
Not so sure.If you are a frequent guest I have the feeling they really know you. May not be the norm, but it happens
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Not so sure.If you are a frequent guest I have the feeling they really know you. May not be the norm, but it happens
Oh, of course they know and remember regulars.

A bit off topic, but staff at properties where I have been a regular guest have even become personal friends of mine. That is of course rare, but in my twenties I would stay at hotels for weeks or even a month at a time travelling solo, so I became very friendly with certain hotel staff members around my age.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Oh, of course they know and remember regulars.
Especially if you stay on club-levels
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Especially if you stay on club-levels
Yes, that makes a difference. I almost always opt for club access at hotels where it is available.

At some properties where I really connect well with a handful of staff members, or even just one person who really takes excellent care of me, that type of service makes all the difference in the world.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I've yet to come across an Andaz hotel that falls into my definition of small and elegant!
I agree, but you should see what Arnaud De Saint-Exupéry did with Andaz Tokyo, very impressive. Would have never thought I could get myself to like an Andaz, but easily in Tokyo's Top 10. Now if all of them would be like that...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scented
I agree, but you should see what Arnaud De Saint-Exupéry did with Andaz Tokyo, very impressive. Would have never thought I could get myself to like an Andaz, but easily in Tokyo's Top 10. Now if all of them would be like that...
Totally agree here. Remove the Andaz name and you'd swear you're in Tokyo's best. Which goes to show how much irrational brand-love we have on this forum...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Totally agree here. Remove the Andaz name and you'd swear you're in Tokyo's best. Which goes to show how much irrational brand-love we have on this forum...
^. I do consider Andaz Tokyo the best in many ways. Two of my other top choices, Ritz-Carlton (club level) and Shangri-La, are also from brands that don't always get much love. Mandarin Oriental is the only one of my top choices that is from a brand that is universally well regarded here.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by op487062
They accept your gifts? Whenever I've tried, Japanese concierges/employees have always politely declined.
Yes. Usually it's something from the food section of the Mitsukoshi Dept store. It has to be very discreet.

From the article below:

"Tipping is allowed

That is, when it's truly merited—especially at full-service traditional Japanese inns and restaurants. But it's not for show, says Fautt, "it's done off where people don't see it." Take your server aside, compliment him, and hand over the money, folded several times, in one of the small envelopes that are sold in local stores. He may refuse once or twice, but keep insisting. If he refuses a third time, chances are he genuinely doesn't want it. This holds true even at places like the Hyatt. Rumors that tipping isn't allowed at big hotels aren't true—there's just no policy, and it should be done very discreetly."

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/20...ette-101-japan
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I've yet to come across an Andaz hotel that falls into my definition of small and elegant!
I agree. I'm thinking more of a R&C property with 10-15 rooms. Perhaps l'Hotel in Paris, but I think they have a real concierge.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:05 am

I seriously cannot remember when I last tipped any member of staff at a western-style hotel - and by tipping I mean handing them cash rather than grudgingly accepting the service charge added on by various establishments. I do remember being at war with the tipping thing after staying at a particularly abysmal Sheraton at Los Angeles airport when it seemed every member of staff had their hands out like street beggars. It's a degrading culture and I refuse to play a part in it, especially so in the USA.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Easily in the top 5. A very crowded 5!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. These particular managers remember my name, at least, as they've greeted me while I was walking around the property.

That the tip might look like a bribe is a good point. I've emailed the GM a long commendation for both. (I had done so earlier this year for a different staff member.)

Would they value a handwritten note too? I already wrote one up but, now that I've sent the GM email, am not sure if I should send it.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I seriously cannot remember when I last tipped any member of staff at a western-style hotel - and by tipping I mean handing them cash rather than grudgingly accepting the service charge added on by various establishments. I do remember being at war with the tipping thing after staying at a particularly abysmal Sheraton at Los Angeles airport when it seemed every member of staff had their hands out like street beggars. It's a degrading culture and I refuse to play a part in it, especially so in the USA.
I could tell as soon as I started reading this that you were going to be a fellow Brit. I say that as a compliment.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by relaxabit
Thanks, everyone. These particular managers remember my name, at least, as they've greeted me while I was walking around the property.

That the tip might look like a bribe is a good point. I've emailed the GM a long commendation for both. (I had done so earlier this year for a different staff member.)

Would they value a handwritten note too? I already wrote one up but, now that I've sent the GM email, am not sure if I should send it.
Everything you have described so far just sounds like staff at a luxury property doing their job...part of that job is providing a high level of customer engagement and personalized service. That is why they are working at a FS and not a Hampton. I think that you have probably covered your bases sufficiently...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.