Buenos Aires and Santiago

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
We are going back to Santiago in December ( going to Antartica).
I'd be interested to know, Larkin, which ship you are on.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I'd be interested to know, Larkin, which ship you are on.
Seabourn Quest, leaving December 19 from Valparaiso.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:17 am

That's a very nice-looking cruise, Larkin, especially as it includes South Georgia. Hopefully the weather will permit landings among the 1000s of penguins but a ship the size of the Quest should also ride those high seas without too much wallowing around. You can't get this sort of experience in a hotel, can you?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We ended up staying last year at the FS in BA and the Ritz in Santiago.

FS BA - newly renovated. We had a lovely one bedroom suite overlooking the mansion and pool. I had stayed before on business so asked for that view as quiet and nice. We did not like the lobby renovation at all. We thought quite unattractive. The room was fine, service very good, but we are going back in January and will likely try the PH or we heard the Alvear is renovating their top floor suites and modernizing. We are looking into that as well. Does anyone have information? Stayed there a number of years ago and friends stayed there last year. We checked out their room and no comparison to our suite at FS, but I do love the lobby and location. If they renovate well, I might really like it!

Ritz, Santiago - not great at all. Rooms are very old, dark, and run down IMO. We had great luck with service, especially on concierge floor. Found the hotel depressing however. We are going back to Santiago in December ( going to Antartica). All the boutique hotels we were thinking of are booked - singular, Aubrey. So thinking of grand Hyatt or Starwood luxury San Cristobel Tower. Any comments? I used to stay at grand Hyatt on business but a long time ago, and it is undergoing renovation so makes me nervous. But Ritz was quite poor in my opinion. I'd love ideas or comments!
We really enjoyed Park Hyatt BA & GH Săo Paulo was ok too , nice bathrooms . The GH club offerings were decent enough & thought the Japanese restaurant quite good for what we had .
Think the renovations should be done by your stay , the lobby was closed when we were there in January , this is Săo Paulo .

Sorry , we were at Aubrey in Santiago . Liked its quaintness .
Would love to hear about your cruise . We didn't make it to Antarctica , only Falkland Islands ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 27, 2016 at 8:28 am Reason: Wrong city !
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
One of my favorite ships. And now with the TK Grill even better. Enjoy this cruise.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
We ended up staying last year at the FS in BA and the Ritz in Santiago.

FS BA - newly renovated. We had a lovely one bedroom suite overlooking the mansion and pool. I had stayed before on business so asked for that view as quiet and nice. We did not like the lobby renovation at all. We thought quite unattractive. The room was fine, service very good, but we are going back in January and will likely try the PH or we heard the Alvear is renovating their top floor suites and modernizing. We are looking into that as well. Does anyone have information? Stayed there a number of years ago and friends stayed there last year. We checked out their room and no comparison to our suite at FS, but I do love the lobby and location. If they renovate well, I might really like it!

Ritz, Santiago - not great at all. Rooms are very old, dark, and run down IMO. We had great luck with service, especially on concierge floor. Found the hotel depressing however. We are going back to Santiago in December ( going to Antartica). All the boutique hotels we were thinking of are booked - singular, Aubrey. So thinking of grand Hyatt or Starwood luxury San Cristobel Tower. Any comments? I used to stay at grand Hyatt on business but a long time ago, and it is undergoing renovation so makes me nervous. But Ritz was quite poor in my opinion. I'd love ideas or comments!
Buenos Aires - I stayed at the Club Frances on a recent visit, and I thought it was a very worthwhile place, though it is not PH/Alvear level (but I took it over the Alvear Arts, which seemed a bit dire to me).

Santiago - why not try Cumbres if you are ok with staying in Lastarria ? Around the corner from Singular, and probably even with a Grand Hyatt.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:17 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I really like the Palermo Soho neighbourhood in BA. In August I stayed at both Legado Mitico and Jardin Escondido. Both are small boutique places which may not be luxury to some on this forum.

I really liked Jardin Escondido and think this would be great in the summer with the courtyard pool and garden. Service was good and very friendly - very typical of a higher end boutique place.

I cannot recommend Legado Mitico. They advertise they are for guests 16yo and above. However, we had a family staying during our visit which had two very noisy (screaming) children who ruined breakfast each morning despite us asking the staff who were seated in reception not far away to ask the parents to control their children and be more respectful. The parents literally let their children run wild in the common areas so we could not relax over breakfast or sit and read in the lounge area. I brought up the 16yo+ age thing and was told they sometimes take bookings on a case-by-case basis. Not good enough – decide what you want to be…! We were comped some of our stay at check-out.

I visited Park Hyatt for drinks – property looks great. I also visited Four Seasons for drinks and dinner – lobby is horrible, but Pony Line and Elena are worth the visit. I find Recoleta a total bore.

As a side comment, I really enjoyed MALBA (there was a Yoko Ono exhibition on when I visited) followed by lunch at Casa Cavia (walking distance from MALBA). The latter is a beautiful place for lunch and the attached boutique perfumery has some very nice scents and candles.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydakllon
I really liked Jardin Escondido and think this would be great in the summer with the courtyard pool and garden. Service was good and very friendly - very typical of a higher end boutique place.
thanks! 7-room coppola property
pool was good? dining on request?

Originally Posted by sydakllon
I don't like the location of the luxury hotels. The Recoleta area is a total bore (which is a big thing to say re BA). Palermo Soho is fabulous - I could have stayed there for weeks and weeks. There are some cute boutique hotels that look fine. We stayed at a members club.
how was members club? did it have pool?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Recoleta is indeed sleepy -- especially compared to parts of Palermo --- but Recoleta works in regards to being a somewhat safer place when it comes to ordinary street crime.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Recoleta is indeed sleepy -- especially compared to parts of Palermo --- but Recoleta works in regards to being a somewhat safer place when it comes to ordinary street crime.
I actually prefer Recoleta to Palermo, even though I 100% agree Recoleta is a bit sleepy & blasé compared to it's hipster counterpart, Palermo.

The way I look at it: I compare EZE to NYC in the sense that Recoleta is the Upper East Side and Palermo is Soho.

Even though I think Soho has more character than the UES, and by and large is a more 'fun' place to be, I'd much rather lay my head in the UES.

Same for EZE. In my book, Recoleta, despite it's quietness, is a better place to stay. I actually like coming home to a bit of peace and quiet at nite. It feels like an oasis or a respite.

Also, Recoleta has some killer restaurants, all walkable from the Park Hyatt and Alvear.

For those who don't mind a long walk, my wife and I actually walked to Palermo from the Alvear on a few consecutive days. LONG, but you get to see parts of BA you'd normally zip by in a taxi, which we enjoyed.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:41 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I didn't find Palermo unsafe. We walked around very late at night between bars and restaurants and accommodation.

My problem with BA this time is that it has completely lost its edge with their economic issues. Everything was more expensive and poorer quality. The shopping was terrible - local brands that I liked a couple of years ago were very disappointing. Dining has also increased in price (Tegui was I think around 50% more expensive this year) and drinking was a joke - I paid US$40 maybe for a Hendricks and tonic at the Park Hyatt - I almost spat out my drink when the bartender gave us the bill. The city seems dirty too. That said, there are still some gems - like Casa Cavia.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pricesquire
<snip>
For those who don't mind a long walk, my wife and I actually walked to Palermo from the Alvear on a few consecutive days. LONG, but you get to see parts of BA you'd normally zip by in a taxi, which we enjoyed.
My wife and I have done this as well. We walk a lot when we travel, but for some this might be too much. But we quite enjoyed it and to your point, saw areas of BA we'd never experienced on previous trips.

Regards
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:12 pm
dr

Seeking Suggestions in EZE and SCL

I am going to both SCL and EZE in December (first timer). Would love any suggestions/advice on hotels, rest etc.

Also, plan on getting from SCL to Califate to go to Patagonia for 3-4 days. Any advice on airlines, flights, and backpacking companies would be awesome.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We had an enjoyable overnight in Aubrey , SCL . This was in Jan ‘ 16 .
Our friends stayed elsewhere , one of the ones mentioned in this forum .

Wonderful stay in PH new tower corner room / suite in December ‘ 15 . In EZE

You should “ research “ this & search some other threads here !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 14, 2018 at 7:48 pm Reason: Add information
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:48 am

The Singular Santiago Lastarria Hotel was quite lovely in Santiago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.