Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury/upscale hotels in Boston and Chicago - request for insight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Luxury/upscale hotels in Boston and Chicago - request for insight

Morning All,

Looking for some advice on lower high-end properties in Boston and Chicago for end-April 2016. Budget is about $500 a night (incl tax),
I question the value of spending any more, and less is always better.

In Boston $500 won't get you very far, and I am aware that it locks you out of the top properties: MO,FS,RC etc.
so was wondering about the Langham? Does anyone have any suggestions on something in this price bucket?

In Chicago $500 buys you a basic room in one of the top hotels, but I'm wondering whether $395 a night + tax represents good
value at the RC, or $515 a night in the case of the Peninsula, when the Park Hyatt is available at $315 + tax for a basic room.

I understand there were some goings on with the RC being dropped by FS management, is the hotel still dated and the rooms small?

I guess in general I'm just looking for some general pointers from people who have stayed at one or more hotels in this bucket in these cities,
I've had a look at some of the reviews and posts, some are dated, some newer, but none really give the comparative context that I am after.

My KPC would be in the following order

1. Spec of the room
2. Service
3. Quality of dining (breakfast, as I will probably eat out unless hotel restaurant is a destination in itself)

Thanks,
Ben
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Hi,
maybe not the high end you require, or maybe you do, in Chicago I Always stay at the Intercontinental hotel. Just love it.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP really cares about qualify of the room, service, and breakfast, perhaps an elegant boutique hotel (or even top B&B) would be better value (especially if hotel chain status isn't a factor). I'm especially thinking of getting something like a junior suite. However, my impression is that Boston has a better selection of interesting good boutique hotels than Chicago.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the OP really cares about qualify of the room, service, and breakfast, perhaps an elegant boutique hotel (or even top B&B) would be better value (especially if hotel chain status isn't a factor). I'm especially thinking of getting something like a junior suite. However, my impression is that Boston has a better selection of interesting good boutique hotels than Chicago.
I do not care about Status.

Well of course, but when one does the Basic Research for high-end Hotels in x City, the ones you usually come across first are the big chains. That is not to say I am wedded to them, when I asked about DC People gave me suggestions that I hadn't heard of from my Research, it is the whole Point of asking.

Look Forward to your suggestions.

Ben
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BW0807
I do not care about Status.

Well of course, but when one does the Basic Research for high-end Hotels in x City, the ones you usually come across first are the big chains. That is not to say I am wedded to them, when I asked about DC People gave me suggestions that I hadn't heard of from my Research, it is the whole Point of asking.

Look Forward to your suggestions.

Ben
In Boston, the obvious choice IMO would be The Liberty (Starwood LC). There's also the Lenox that has many fans, but isn't true luxury.

Across the river in Cambridge, I once stayed in a place called something like the Firehouse or Fire Station located very close to the Marriott. Also in Cambridge (and Starwood) is Le Meridien which IIRC used to be called something like the Arts Hotel; it's about halfway between MIT and Cambridge, as is the Hyatt, but LM is inland from the river and IMO not in the best neighborhood. There are further choices in Cambridge.

Also in Boston, what's the current flag of the old RC in Back Bay on Newberry Street at Boston Common? I know it became the Taj but is it now the MO? It's an iconic old building in a great location.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:52 am

The old R-C is still Taj AFAIK. I like FS and MO Boston, but can't really comment on other properties.

For Chicago I would go with the Peninsula.

But, another idea could be to choose PH Chicago at $300~/night and then use the money saved to increase budget for Boston. Perhaps then FS or MO would work? PH Chicago is not particularly well regarded for service, but at 60% of the cost of the Peninsula perhaps it could be a value proposition...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Where do you want to be in Boston? As you've already discovered $500 inclusive of tax won't get you a top tier hotel.

I've stayed at The Langham, FS, RC, Fairmont Copley, Copley Square Hotel, XV Beacon, Colonnade Hotel, Boston Harbor Hotel, Charles Hotel (Cambridge), and the former Fairmont Battery Wharf.

The IC and Nine Zero are popular options that you might want to consider.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
Where do you want to be in Boston? As you've already discovered $500 inclusive of tax won't get you a top tier hotel.

I've stayed at The Langham, FS, RC, Fairmont Copley, Copley Square Hotel, XV Beacon, Colonnade Hotel, Boston Harbor Hotel, Charles Hotel (Cambridge), and the former Fairmont Battery Wharf.

The IC and Nine Zero are popular options that you might want to consider.
In all honesty given it is a quick vacation trip I have time to move around, but would prefer to be in the thick of it.

I will however be intending to visit MIT, Harvard, Northwestern and Booth on my trip to get a feeling for them (potential MBA choices next year), but that doesn't mean I'm restricted to Cambridge for example.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BW0807
In all honesty given it is a quick vacation trip I have time to move around, but would prefer to be in the thick of it.

I will however be intending to visit MIT, Harvard, Northwestern and Booth on my trip to get a feeling for them (potential MBA choices next year), but that doesn't mean I'm restricted to Cambridge for example.
Being based in Boston, for easiest access to MIT and Harvard from the Boston side of the city (no experience with Cambridge hotels), I'd look at the MO and the Lenox as being the most convenient. MO will likely be over the price range. The Lenox, while not true 5-star, is a solid choice in a great location. Easy to cross the Mass. Ave bridge to get to Sloan very quickly.

In Chicago, I personally love the WA Chicago, but I know that isn't a very popular choice here. I was unimpressed by the PH, but at $300 / night could be easily swayed.

Best of luck with apps - getting ready to submit R1 applications to all four of those schools myself.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Once stayed at the IC Boston. OK, it was one of the bigger suites but if the ptice is right it´s a good upscale option. Wth Ambassador status and use of a weekend voucher it can be good value.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Copley is my all-around favorite location in the city because you are definitely in the thick of things and it is easy to walk just about anywhere (except in winter when it is never easy to walk anywhere). If you plan on taking the T to Cambridge, it is not the most convenient location to the Red Line. If you are walking or using Uber/taxis then it doesn't matter.

If you might be moving to Cambridge eventually then perhaps it is worth it to stay over there? Maybe the Marlowe?

The Eliot also has a decent location for being between Cambridge and the action as does the previously mentioned Liberty (huge bar scene here on weekends).

The Langham is primarily a business hotel for people in the financial district. It wouldn't be my choice for a happening area.

I like the Fairmont Copley because of the location, it was recently renovated, and I like the breakfast in the club lounge. The new gym is also nice. They often have decent rates which makes it a good value for Boston, a city that in general has very high rates for a subpar product.

As an FYI, the Boston Marathon is April 18th and that entire week is public school vacation week in Massachusetts.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
Copley is my all-around favorite location in the city because you are definitely in the thick of things and it is easy to walk just about anywhere (except in winter when it is never easy to walk anywhere). If you plan on taking the T to Cambridge, it is not the most convenient location to the Red Line. If you are walking or using Uber/taxis then it doesn't matter.

If you might be moving to Cambridge eventually then perhaps it is worth it to stay over there? Maybe the Marlowe?

The Eliot also has a decent location for being between Cambridge and the action as does the previously mentioned Liberty (huge bar scene here on weekends).

The Langham is primarily a business hotel for people in the financial district. It wouldn't be my choice for a happening area.

I like the Fairmont Copley because of the location, it was recently renovated, and I like the breakfast in the club lounge. The new gym is also nice. They often have decent rates which makes it a good value for Boston, a city that in general has very high rates for a subpar product.

As an FYI, the Boston Marathon is April 18th and that entire week is public school vacation week in Massachusetts.
Great call on the Eliot - completely forgot about it and I live on the same block! Clio, the restaurant in the hotel, is fantastic, and their bartenders are even better.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Great call on the Eliot - completely forgot about it and I live on the same block! Clio, the restaurant in the hotel, is fantastic, and their bartenders are even better.
Excellent suggestions both, I'm swinging towards the Fairmont on the basis of a triple upgrade offer, but if that isn't available will probably do the Eliot.

Exactly the reason I love FT so much, great recommendations.

Hotels on the dates I"m going seem to be out of kilter in terms of pricing vs. rest of year, and in some cases relative prices for certain hotels.

Last edited by BW0807; Sep 1, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you are looking for easy access to Harvard and MIT and don't mind staying in Cambridge, the Charles Hotel is your best choice in terms of it's location. It's right on Harvard Sq, 1 min walking to Harvard and the Red Line T station. Most of the business related events at Harvard put their keynote speakers there. It's also a pleasant 15 min walk to get to the Harvard B School. It's the only 5* in Cambridge and you can get perks from Amex FHR.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is increasingly wandering away from luxury hotels and becoming instead a more general discussion of locations and lower ranked hotels. As it also covers two geographic regions, I am going to send it to the general USA forum where hopefully it will attract a broader group of comments.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.